• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

C'mon, women, do you really watch this stuff?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm talking about Lifetime, and their sappy, glurgey, man-bashing colon films.

What made me think of this? A discussion I overheard, along the lines of "if they've got the Man Show on Comedy Central, there should be a Woman Show."

Okay ... at home, I get Lifetime, Lifetime Movie Network, Lifetime Women's Stories, Oxygen, WE, Style, Showtime Women, HGTV, Hallmark, WMax, Food Network, QVC, Home Shopping Network, ShopNBC, America's Store, SOAPNet, Encore True Stories, and Encore Love Stories. Isn't that enough estrogen coming through the coax?

"Yeah, but you have Tech TV and that war channel." You think I'll ever be able to watch them after I get married? It's gonna' be some LIfetime movie about a woman whose ex-husband kidnaps her daughter, and hauls the kid off to Pakistan.

Let us have 30 minutes of beer, burps and boobies, and the occasional WWII documentary, okay?

I am not a member of the Chick Flick Club so I can honestly say that I don't watch Lifetime or any other Chick channels. :D

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Planderella said:
I am not a member of the Chick Flick Club so I can honestly say that I don't watch Lifetime or any other Chick channels. :D
Marry me.

kms

Cyburbian
NO! NO! NO! None of that sappy woman stuff for me.

I prefer a good police drama, BritComs and classic Bugs Bunny. I'm one of the last people who doesn't subscribe to cable, but I would if there was a 24 hour Andy Griffith Show channel. :)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I have a confession...

...I like TLC's "Trading Spaces". Sue me.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Re: I have a confession...

bturk said:
...I like TLC's "Trading Spaces". Sue me.
It's a woman's show, perhaps, but it's on a gender-neutral station. It's The Learning Channel, not "The Ladies' Channel."

Besides, I'll admit as a heterosexual male that I actually enjoy the home redecorating/remodeling shows.

From The Simpsons episode CABF11, "Bye Bye Nerdy"

TV Announcer: And now, the Estrogen Network presents... "Afternoon Yak".
Meredith Viera: Men...
Audience: Boo!
Homer: Canceled.

Jen

Cyburbian
Unplug the TV

Okay ... at home, I get Lifetime, Lifetime Movie Network, Lifetime Women's Stories, Oxygen, WE, Style, Showtime Women, HGTV, Hallmark, WMax, Food Network, QVC, Home Shopping Network, ShopNBC, America's Store, SOAPNet, Encore True Stories, and Encore Love Stories. Isn't that enough estrogen coming through the coax?
This is why do not get expanded cable, who needs multiple versions of the same commercial network!!!!

I want alternative news sources, news from England or Australia crikeys how about the Canada channels for news and perspectives. And how about PBS stations from other cities? And more networks devoted to the arts???!!!But nooooo the cable companies want to send you virtually the same useless programming over and over. And how many times has the Godfather been on the tube this past month on whatever channel.

Poor Doug is lost without Speedvision and ATT cable still hasnt filled the slot. And Dish Network has a very enticing offer right now. We've hung in there with ATT since we've been stockholders for decades but that isn't worth enough to wipe ones butt with now!

SouthSideSlayer

Cyburbian
Dan said:

Marry me.
I was thinking the same thing. She is hot.

I don't live in the US yet (taking the first flight in the new year, haha), but I'm sick of these sappy Female films Dan's talking about.

I enjoy watching Ally McBeal though...

statler

Cyburbian
Who doesn't love Trading Spaces? Even if your are not that into interior design, there is always Paige Davis and Amy Wynn. Mmmm....

Blargh! Hate the Lifetime movies! My mother in law and sister in law are way addicted. Here's typical sunday dinner conversation:

MIL: I'm so tired! I stayed up until 2 last night watching this movie on lifetime.
SIL: OMG!!!! Was it the one with Meredith Baxter Birney and Judith Light?
MIL: Yeah! The one where they were best friends and didn't know they were sisters and their daughter and son started dating at the high school and the daughter was impregnated!
SIL: That's the one! I cried so hard when the daughter miscarried!
MIL: Yeah.

However, I will admit, when we were planning our wedding, I would obsessively watch "A Wedding Story" and now that we're trying to get pregnant, its "A Baby Story". And although I'm not the hugest fan of Trading Spaces, I'm really enjoying the new "While you were out". I just like the designers and crew so much better.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I'll admit it - my wife has got me hooked on Trading Spaces/Decorating Challenge/Changing Rooms. Although I prefer the Canadian and UK products for actual "content", the American version is definitely more "slick". I'm always hoping that the people will end up hating whatever it is that the designer cooks up for their room.

My wife is a bit of a tom-boy, so luckily I don't get swamped with estrogen-laced programming.

Tranplanner said:
I'm always hoping that the people will end up hating whatever it is that the designer cooks up for their room.
Best trading spaces ever was the episode where the woman had to leave the room crying and they didn't turn her mic off, so you could still hear her sobbing while paige was talking to the husband.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
statler said:
Who doesn't love Trading Spaces? Even if your are not that into interior design, there is always Paige Davis and Amy Wynn. Mmmm....
Laurie is my babe, even 8 months pregnant. *sigh*

El Feo

Cyburbian
HEY, NOW

statler said:
Amy Wynn Pastor is MINE to fantasize about, AND I WON'T SHARE...

Sorry, statler, I just snapped...

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
KMateja said:

Best trading spaces ever was the episode where the woman had to leave the room crying and they didn't turn her mic off, so you could still hear her sobbing while paige was talking to the husband.
That's the one where they screwed with the fireplace that she specifically said not to touch, right?

I loved that one!

donk

Cyburbian
I have watched the occasional Trading Places. I have seen 2 that were not well received by the homeowners.

There was also the one where the people said all they really liked was the ceiling fan in their bedroom and low and behold, the first thing removed was the ceiling fan. The homeowners entered the room looked around then looked up and asked "What happened to our fan?"

The fire place one was just plain ugly, and probably difficult to repair afterwards.

Now as for amy vs. paige. I'm more on the amy bandwagon, but paige does something for me too.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
donk said:
The fire place one was just plain ugly, and probably difficult to repair afterwards.
Not according to the designer Doug - he designed it as an overlay that could be easily taken off.

At what's with their aversion to ceiling fans!?

Jen

Cyburbian
I like Trading Spaces too, but it seems that your furniture is up for grabs, I mean over my dead body would they touch my Hoosier cabinet or FLW reproductions. Yeah take it all away and put some plywood creation its place.NOT!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm old school, baby.

That's right. JoAnne Liebeler.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I can't belive there has been no mention of Genevieve one here! She is way better than Paige.

I love it when people don't like what was done to their rooms. There are a few designers on there that I would lock out of my house if they were assigned to my project...especially Frank and Hilda...and whoever the crazy lady was who glued hay to someones wall.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
jtfortin said:
There are a few designers on there that I would lock out of my house if they were assigned to my project...especially Frank and Hilda...and whoever the crazy lady was who glued hay to someones wall.
I'm pretty sure that was Hildy. And boy, those two rugby-playing ladies sure were NOT amussed by it!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Ok im a dork-i dont own a TV

the roomies have one and we have 150 channels of BS, i think i have turned it on a half a doz times. flip flip flip not much worth watch, some cute dogs on Animal planet, more babys being born on some other channel that must only show gross births, more hitler stuff on the hitler channel, more grandma blue hairs trying to get me to repent *lol if only they knew they could forget having to dye their hair that horrid colour*

i dont GET TV, i loved Dharma and Greg, 3rd rock and other fun programs but its been years.

TV could end and i could care less

-D

Habanero

Cyburbian
Ahh.

I'd want Vern to re-do my bedroom, the last bedroom I saw him do turned out beautiful!

I really like it if they either don't like the room, or one of the projects gets the designer and carpenter in a squabble. (*see above episode if you want to see Vern go off about the dresser)

nerudite

Cyburbian
I'll admit...

There are two shows that I enjoy watching on the Food Network (or whatever it is called)... I like to watch Iron Chef. It's a very cheesy (no pun intended) Japanese game show where a guest Chef has to compete against one of the Iron Chefs on making different dishes with some bizarre ingredient that is announced on the show. The english dubbing and funny narration make it extra special. The special effects are pretty funny too.

Also, from time to time, I catch the Naked Chef. It's this young, cute guy from London that cooks for his friends. He does everything with hands... something about watching that guy knead dough (or whatever he is cooking on any given day) I find incredibly sensual. Watching men get sloppy cooking, and really enjoying themselves is a real pleasure to watch.

I don't think I've ever watched any of those other channels that Dan mentioned though. I sometimes get hooked into watching the Antiques Roadshow, but I think that's on the BBC network.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I was going to mention "Iron Chef" earlier, but I don't consider it to be a "chick" show.

But it does lead me to another question...

Why does American TV have to take really cool foreign shows (Iron Chef, Junkyard Wars) and totally destroy what was so cool about them in the first place?

nerudite

Cyburbian
And BTW...

I like watching the Man Show.... especially the little short subjects where Jimmy teaches his son some stupid guy thing. Although it has the obvious objectification of women, a lot of the manly self-deprecation is very hilarious. The other guy oriented show that my boyfriend and I watch together is Oz. That's about as rugged as any show I can think of.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Tranplanner said:
I was going to mention "Iron Chef" earlier, but I don't consider it to be a "chick" show.

Why does American TV have to take really cool foreign shows (Iron Chef, Junkyard Wars) and totally destroy what was so cool about them in the first place?
It's part of our Imperialist nature. I offer Puerto Rico as an example.

-And just look at what America did to the likes of Ricky Martin and Enrique Engelias. Yech.

Tom R

Cyburbian
Prine

PlannerGirl said:
Ok im a dork-i dont own a TV

the roomies have one and we have 150 channels of BS, i think i have turned it on a half a doz times. flip flip flip not much worth watch, some cute dogs on Animal planet, more babys being born on some other channel that must only show gross births, more hitler stuff on the hitler channel, more grandma blue hairs trying to get me to repent *lol if only they knew they could forget having to dye their hair that horrid colour*

i dont GET TV, i loved Dharma and Greg, 3rd rock and other fun programs but its been years.

TV could end and i could care less

-D
"Blow up your TV.
Throw away yer papers......"

John Prine

Habanero

Cyburbian
Tom R

You are my favorite person today.. I've been trying to figure out who sings that songs and no one up here could tell me..

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Anybody here watch "Curb Your Enthusiasm" on HBO? It is the best show on TV....well except for the Sopranos.

SouthSideSlayer

Cyburbian
Re: I'll admit...

nerudite said:

Also, from time to time, I catch the Naked Chef. It's this young, cute guy from London that cooks for his friends. He does everything with hands... something about watching that guy knead dough (or whatever he is cooking on any given day) I find incredibly sensual. Watching men get sloppy cooking, and really enjoying themselves is a real pleasure to watch.
I think he lives in the US now. He moved cause he was WAY too popular in the UK. Women and Gays can't resist him so it seems (beats me) His girl didn't like it all that much...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
jtfortin said:
Anybody here watch "Curb Your Enthusiasm" on HBO? It is the best show on TV....well except for the Sopranos.
I am Larry David. Well, not literally, but considering his other quirks, especially foot-in-mouth syndrome ... yuppers.

jtfortin said:
Definitely one of the best shows on cable. HBO really does have superior original programs, although "Arliss" and "Mind of the Married Man" don't do anything for me.....

nerudite

Cyburbian
Planderella said:

Definitely one of the best shows on cable. HBO really does have superior original programs, although "Arliss" and "Mind of the Married Man" don't do anything for me.....
Oh man... I used to love Arliss! We get old HBO reruns on Showcase, but they haven't started running Arliss yet. Probably because it isn't a huge success, so they won't bother bringing it up here.

Junkyard Wars!!

Tranplanner said:

How did we destroy junkyard wars? i love that show!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Re: Junkyard Wars!!

KMateja said:

How did we destroy junkyard wars? i love that show!
They took a quirky little show and made it really annoying and stupid (I liked the original hosts). They even seem to have re-staged some of the original UK episodes.

Maybe I'm just bitter 'cause the Canadian team sucked.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Junkyard Wars!!

Tranplanner said:

They took a quirky little show and made it really annoying and stupid (I liked the original hosts). They even seem to have re-staged some of the original UK episodes.

Maybe I'm just bitter 'cause the Canadian team sucked.
But the Canadian team was so...nice. And their workspace was so clean! ;)

(Always looking for ways to reinforce national stereotypes, you know!)

(Waiting for inevitable American joke...)

Habanero

Cyburbian
Re: TexasPlanner

Tom R said:
You sure you're from Texas?
woah woah woah!! No need for that! Do you just not want to be my favorite person today? Of course I'm Texan, wouldn't want it any other way, but being in Arizona I can't seem to find anyone that knows that song.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Re: I'll admit...

nerudite said:
Watching men get sloppy cooking, and really enjoying themselves is a real pleasure to watch
Then Chili night at Casa Guapo would find you, exausted, sweaty and draging on a Marlburo afterwards.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: Re: I'll admit...

El Guapo said:

Then Chili night at Casa Guapo would find you, exausted, sweaty and draging on a Marlburo afterwards.
Have any videos? ;)

prudence

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: I'll admit...

nerudite said:

Have any videos? ;)

EG, did you erase the one where I passed out on the floor with the chili couldron on my head, naked except for the left sock on my foot?? You know, where the dog is looking at the camera with that, "you make me go outside" expression on its face.

Yes?? Good.

BTW, when will Mrs. EG let me back into the state??

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Re: Re: I'll admit...

El Guapo said:
Some Beano would help take care of that.

oh you guys are killing me this morning.

*as i look over at the giant Beano bottle I hide behind a picture frame for my daily Five Bean Soup or Cha Cha Chili lunch*