• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Organizations CNU 28 in Minneapolis/St. Paul!

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Here is the latest (16 March 2020): https://www.cnu.org/sites/default/files/CNU28Announcement-03.16.2020.pdf

I planned to go, but I'm not registered or bought airline ticket (yet). I book a hotel room as they go quickly & I can cancelled.
Hope you get a chance to go. When APA had their conference there, I really enjoyed. The Twin Cities are pretty cool. I had reserved a hotel room for APA National, but that was it. I was able to cancel it and get my money back.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
They will probably cancel as well. They need to get a little snugger up to the conference date in order to make a force majure argument in their contracts related to the conference. That was what delayed action by APA--they knew what was likely to happen, but they were trying to get all of the right legal stuff in place to avoid a major financial punch. The CDC directive is what put that over the edge (Texas had a weird approach to disaster/emergency declarations & orders that was not helping).

Reactions: Dan

Planit

Cyburbian
CNU.28 is moving everything to a virtual congress. The in-person congress is cancelled.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
This just in.

CNU 28.A Virtual Gathering​
April 20, 2020

Dear CNU Members, Partners, Allies, and Supporters:

One month ago, we reached out to provide you with information about the impact of COVID-19 on our annual Congress and today we are able to provide an update. Currently, the state of Minnesota – like many others – is under a stay at home order through early May. Even with the three-phased approach for reopening economic activity recommended by the Trump administration on April 16, the absolute earliest date that non-essential travel and large gatherings would be allowed would be mid-June. Unfortunately, as a result, we will be unable to host an in-person Congress this year.

Yet now, more than ever, New Urbanists need an opportunity to come together for discussion and debate, to share and to learn, and to support one another in this uncertain time. So we are excited to announce that we are taking CNU 28.Twin Cities online June 10-13, including 55-70 sessions and a number of pre-Congress webinars.

CNU 28.A Virtual Gathering will have many of the elements you were looking forward to in the Twin Cities: thought provoking sessions, in-depth discussions with live Q and A, social gatherings, sessions and discussions about current projects and happenings in the Twin Cities, art room sessions, plenary sessions, and a number of pre-Congress events. By developing a way for attendees to engage virtually, these crucial conversations can occur in real time. While much of the program will remain as planned, we will also be adding new sessions that directly address the current public health crisis and how it is impacting the work of New Urbanists around the world. Given the uncertainty of what we are all facing, the Congress content, and CNU’s emphasis on community, is more relevant than ever.

As always, continuing education credits from CNU-A, AIA, APA, and ASLA will be available for most sessions. Additionally, all the sessions will be archived for viewing after the Congress week – creating more value for members and attendees.

We know there will be many questions about how a virtual Congress will work, or about current registrations, tickets, and sponsorship. We have compiled the following resources to help address your questions (pages will be updated in real time as more detail becomes available):
  • Virtual registration pricing and updated refund policy
  • Virtual sponsorship benefits
  • Register for the Virtual Congress
CNU staff is in the process of reaching out to speakers, sponsors, and existing registrants about our Virtual Gathering. Additionally, the Intercontinental Hotel will be canceling all attendees’ room reservations at the hotel that are in the group block.

The COVID-19 crisis has created a pivotal moment for New Urbanists: we must marshal our principles and expertise to benefit people and communities in a time of great distress. We also know the financial impacts of the crisis are real and will be felt acutely by us all. Victor Dover said it best a few weeks ago during an On the Park Bench webinar: New Urbanists rise to every occasion; creating new innovations to propel neighborhoods and cities forward in a time of crisis.

We have created an extraordinary program that we are excited to share with you. Being together virtually won’t be quite the same as gathering in person, but we need a Congress now more than ever. We hope you will join us – together online – in June.

Laurie Volk
CNU National Board Chair
Co-Founder, Zimmerman-Volk Associates

Lynn Richards
President and CEO,
Congress for the New Urbanism, Inc.

Planit

Cyburbian
I hate to say it, but with everything going on in Minneapolis right now, I'm kinda glad I'm not going. Maybe another time I'll get there.