• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Coastal towns -- design guidelines

Geoff Garbutt

I am a planner working with a small coastal community on the westcoast of Vancouver Island called Tofino, British Columbia Canada. Tofino is located on the edge of the UNESCO Biosphere and as such a great deal of international attention is focused on this community of 1500. We are creating a new Official Community Plan (guiding land use planning document for municipalities in British Columbia) and our community has asked that the municipality incorporate some design guidelines for their downtown. The core is located directly on the waterfront and current uses include fish processing, commercial warf, tourist oriented retail, hotel/motel/bed and breakfast, single family residential as well as adventure tourism operators. I am trying to find some examples of design guidelines that coastal towns have adopted to regulate the form of development.

Paul Jordan

I regards to your question about design guideliness for coastal communities, I recently came across a book that may be of some use to you. It is called "Exploring Limits: Making Decisions About the Use and Development of Maine's Islands" It was published in 1994 by the Maine State Planning Office. You should be able to order it for free from their web site.

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
There are quite a few resources out there. You should look at Randolph Hester's work in coastal North Carolina. Try back issues of Small Town. I am on the road, away from my library so it is not possible to offer specific cites. The Urban Land Institute has a book on waterfront development you should try to find. There was a conference on the topic at the U of Washington many years ago and the proceedings were published. There are some interesting plans in Oregon: Bay City and Winchester Bay among them.

Sandy C

Just finished a corridor plan for the main access road to Ocean City, Maryland. If you like can email my biblio. Also we are using voluntary design guides--very politically acceptable. Surprisingly, they are beginning quite successfully.