• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Code enforcement -- who's thw worst?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
An inquiry to the huddled planners in Cybubrialand who happen to be performing code enforcement ... is there a particular type of business that seems to dominate your code enforcement efforts, a category of commerce that just cannot function without breaking some sort of law?

Enlighten me.

planasaurus

Cyburbian
Sanford and Son

Our City does not do code enforcement. It is just every planner for herself, so I consider it one of my job functions, which I do just in driving around the City or even walking my dog. Small transfer stations and junkyards are by far, in my opinion, the worst offenders. They are usually little old men who operate these businesses with no permits, breaking all the codes, often on City-owned property.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Code enforcement -- who's the worst?

I have several auto body/auto repair shops. They claim it's my "hobby". It is really tough to prove the commercial use, City Attorney says it is a waste of time to pursue.

Mary

When I was doing code enforcement auto repair places were one of the worse. Don't get me wrong some of them are great but the ones that are bad don't even get the fact that they need to clean up or that stacking things in new piles doesn't solve the problem.

I had one that went so far as to admit in public that he ignored my letters. (Implication that they didn't apply to him and that he was above the rules) I had to start court action to get him to start work, it took for ever and never did really get clean till he sold off the business.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Trailer parks

My favorite was the trailer park for new immigrants, flea market and junk yard combo in the flood plain near the entrance to the city. It sported a church and tamale factory for the roach coach industry in one unique double wide and 2.5 long “e” arraignment that combined baroque, colonial and the later years of the Bauhaus movement in a crescendo of cinderblock skirting. We called it unofficially in the office the Temple of the Holy Taco. The lady that ran it would make new illegals hole up there and make tacos and tamales until they escaped and found a better crappy job where they could be exploited further.

The Anglo owner was on always on probation for "brandishing" a shotgun at a fella that owed him some money for his water bill after consuming a wee bit too much tequila distillate one fateful evening.

Three trailers, two Cameros and two big ugly dogs on chains will fit on one 50 X120 lot as God is my witness - including a leaking septic system and a12” deep well. Never ever build anything without using old busted pallets – please!

We had two of these uniquely synergistic communities in our burg. One just as lovely as the other.