• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

code violations on the internet???

Glomer

Our city recently brought our cities web site in house......I'm wondering if there would be any legal implications with displaying public nuisance violations (ie. junk cars, long grass, junk/debris...etc..) on the site for everyone to see.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Great Idea!

I like the idea of public humiliation for crimes. Posting photos of criminals, code violations and so forth IMHO would discourage the acts. I would think that when the violation is cleared up you would take down the photo.

Caution: If I like the idea you can count on most of the world disliking it or it being illegal. Your town's legal council will have to weigh in before going ahead with the idea. That's who's legal opinion really counts.

chokobar

posting violations? or identifying violators?

My innards tell me I'm not a Nazi -- although I, too, favour public humiliation for proven crimes. Some municipalities put a sign outside the residence citing the offense. They take the sign down when the violation has been addressed.

However, I'm not sure about posting their photos on the Net (some people don't look as good as El Guapo). Remember how some TV shows blurr the face of a supposed law violator? Well, I presume this was done to accomodate some law on keeping ugly faces from public view.