• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Combating Burnout with 3 Good Things

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I listened to an alumni webinar yesterday about Employee Burnout and was really impressed with the conversation around Three Good Things. Apparently a psychological study suggests the idea of rewiring our brains by thinking about three good things before going to sleep and how you helped contribute to the good. In the webinar, it was discussed that this process has been proven to be as useful as prozak to combat some cases of depression.

Check out the abstract of the study here -- https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/7/5/e015826 -- from the BMJ Open.

What do you do personally to combat stress or burnout? What do you do professionally to help combat it for your staff?

DVD

Cyburbian
Personal things:
- always one super personal thing that helps stress, but other may need to be involved.

1. I like my hobbies, I play around on my scroll saw or do little things like that. It's kind of like zen meditation.
2. Most days I use entertainment to zone out like TV, video games, reading at night.
3. Drinking and smoking cigars. Again, kind of like zen meditation. Just sit and relax with no pressures for about an hour or two.

For the staff, since I don't actually have any staff I just help with jokes like writing funny things on the whiteboard outside my cube or just doing generally fun things. I'm going to propose either a slinky race down the fire stairs or scavenger hunt of some kind soon.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Following because I don't deal with it well... :tired:
I guess I don't either lately which is why I sat in on the webinar. I'm trying to set a good example here and motivate my Department and the entire organization, actually.

I printed out posters giving tips about the Three Good Things process and hung them around the building with big yellow arrows pointing to the part about how to do it. (Just before sleep, ask yourself "What are three things that went well today and what was my role in making them happen?" You remember best what you've reviewed during your last two wakeful hours. For best results, write it down. Repeat for 2 weeks to make effects last longer."

Will it work? I don't know. Does anyone care? Meh. The HR Manager loved it; I'm not sure about anyone else.

According to the study, by day 4 or 5, reflecting on the positive should lead to noticing more positive. The positive keeps getting louder!

Let's see if it works.