• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Comics?

statler

Cyburbian
The board seem hopping this morning so I thought I'd throw this out.:

What comics strips do you love and which do you hate?

For me:

Love:
Boondocks
Monty
For Better Or Worse
Rymns With Orange (prob. my current fav)
Arlo and Janis
and of course the Classics:
Bloom County
Far Side
Calvin & Hobbs (*sigh*)

Hate:
Family Circle
Fred Bassett (worst. comic. ever.)
Get Fuzzy. (great artwork, horrible writing, imo)

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Bloom County

Berkely Breathed should never have quit writing...

I try and fill the void with Dilbert, but it isn't quite the same.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I loved those sweet little cartoons that were a man and woman and it was titled "love is"

used to see them in the 70's and 80's but ive not seen them in years. such wonderful simple expressions of affection

simple is always best *well ok almost always*

pg

BKM

Cyburbian
Love:

Luanne- (I don't know why, but everyone in my office (including married males) follows the trivial adventures of a shallow teenage girl. Its almost like an in-joke)

Boondocks- sometimes preachy, but overall spot on.
Red Meat (the Milkman rules!) (in "Indie" papers only)
This Modern World (Sorry, El Guapo :) )
Foxtrot (Lame, but seriously funny, somehow)

Hate:

Family Circus (Of course)
Mutts (I go into diabetic shock when my eyes stray across it)
Peanuts (Sorry, there was always something about it that
rubbed me the wrong way)

nerudite

Cyburbian
I used to love Calvin and Hobbes and the Far Side. Bizarro is sometimes funny, as was Zippy the clown.

The only comic I read with any regularity now is The Instigator. However, non-hockey types won't dig it.

Here's a sample:

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
The 3 on my "My Yahoo" page:

Doonesbury
Fox Trot
Tank McNamara

I used to read Dilbert, but haven't in years.

Floridays

Cyburbian
Get Fuzzy is currently my top favorite -- perhaps because Bucky reminds me so much of my own Siamese cat. It makes me LOL. Our current newspaper doesn't carry it, so I have it e-mailed to me every day.

Enjoy: Dilbert, For Better/Worse, Fox Trot

Bring back: Calvin & Hobbes!

Eliminate: Nancy. The stupidest comic ever written.

donk

Cyburbian
I am not really a comic strip person, but I do like comic books.

Best new title is Fables, all about what happens when fairy tale people have to live in the real world.

hate
Eightball
Optic Nerve
Sin City
cerebus

dislikes

all super hero titles
all manga

statler

Cyburbian
Donk,

Ever read Strangers in Paradise? I haven't read anything past the first TPB but I loved it.
I'm also a big fan of Frank Miller, Evan Dorkin and Neil Gaiman.
To be honest I sort of lost track of the comics industry around '96. I just don't have time to read all to the books I'd like to. Someday I'll get back into it, hopefully.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I like a lot of those "fringe" comics like The City, Red Meat, etc, but hardly ever read them...

Current favs:
Get Fuzzy (though lately it's seemed a little lame)
For Better or Worse (I have nooooo idea why I like this)
Dilbert
Doonesbury
Heart of the City (again, why I don't know - good art though)

Classics:
Bloom County
Calvin and Hobbes

Hate:
Family Circus
Marmaduke
Cathy
Ernie
Broom Hilda

The three on my Yahoo page are:
Boondocks
NonSequitir
Doonesbury

I'll be so sad when my Far Side daily calendar is done, Its the last one they're making. And I also desperately miss Calvin and Hobbes.

statler

Cyburbian
The Get Fuzzy thing I'll never get. The central joke is: mean cat, dumb dog, exasperated owner. It basicly a much better drawn Garfield. (Granted, it probably the best looking strip on the comics page)
For Better or Worse and Arlo and Janis are the only two strips I know of where the characters age in real time. I love that. And I've always somehow related to Arlo in a philosophical kinda way.
I forgot Mutts. A very 'cutsy' strip but it works for me. Incredible artwork.
I don't get Luanne in the Boston papers. I'll have to start checking it out online.
I'm not sure if any of you have ever seen 9 Chickweed Lane but I highly recommend it. If it is not in your paper you can check it out here.
Speaking of online comics one of the originals and still one of the best: Sluggy Freelance
As for the Red Meats, Tom Tomorrow's and Get You War On's out there. I should read them more often.

Oh, and Go Die!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
nerudite said:
I used to love Calvin and Hobbes and the Far Side. Bizarro is sometimes funny, as was Zippy the clown.

The only comic I read with any regularity now is The Instigator. However, non-hockey types won't dig it.

Here's a sample:
That... is WAY funny.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Mastiff said:

That... is WAY funny.
I think so too. But you are a hockey geek as well.

On a separate note, the office is enjoying the Red Vines (although they all say they don't taste like Canadian licorice). Duh... this licorice is *good*. <grin>

Mastiff

Gunfighter
nerudite said:

I think so too. But you are a hockey geek as well.

On a separate note, the office is enjoying the Red Vines (although they all say they don't taste like Canadian licorice). Duh... this licorice is *good*. <grin>
The office?! I thought for sure you'd be hoarding it in your basement... I suppose you have a "connection" now, eh?

nerudite

Cyburbian
Mastiff said:

The office?! I thought for sure you'd be hoarding it in your basement... I suppose you have a "connection" now, eh?
Truly good licorice has a shelf-life. Once open, it is only prime for a week or two tops. I have been hording for a week... it's time to share with the ignorant masses. The huge-ass tub (I think that is the technical term) is half gone, so they must be enjoying it (or easing off some other sugar high).

A connection? Hmmmm... a one time send is not a connection. Now if I get more tasty gifts, that would be a connection.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
nerudite said:

A connection? Hmmmm... a one time send is not a connection. Now if I get more tasty gifts, that would be a connection.
If you play your cards right...

nerudite

Cyburbian
I never bite the hand that feeds me...

unless of course they want to be bitten.

I'll try not to piss you off to ensure my red vine connection.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Re: I never bite the hand that feeds me...

nerudite said:
unless of course they want to be bitten.
Oh oh! Let's NOT go there...

nerudite said:

I'll try not to piss you off to ensure my red vine connection.
Wasn't that easy?! Was the big tub too much? They do sell smaller quantities... who knew licorice went stale?

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: Re: I never bite the hand that feeds me...

Mastiff said:

Oh oh! Let's NOT go there...

Wasn't that easy?! Was the big tub too much? They do sell smaller quantities... who knew licorice went stale?
To normal people they may not go stale. But I'm very picky about my licorice whips.

And okay... since you insist... I won't go there. Heh.

Runner

Cyburbian
No special order:
  • Dilbert
  • Non Sequitur
  • Crock
  • B.C.
  • Wizard of Id
  • Close to Home (Houston Chronicle)
  • Political cartoons: LA Times - Michael Ramirez

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl - You might me interested to know that the 'Love is...' cartoons have been appropriated by London Transort to 'advertise' good behaviour on public transport.

• Marvel, DC and 2001AD comics (whenever I can be bothered to read them)
  • Far Side
  • Sluggy Freelance (I suggest reading this from the start if your going to read it, but it will take a long time. Lots of sf parodies)
  • User Friendly is computer geek humour, and again should really be read from the start.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Not for the weak (or easily offended)...

I used to read this comic strip online called Space Moose , which was published in the local college paper here in Edmonton (before I ever moved here). It's wicked funny in a deranged, misogynistic kind of way (not recommended on work computers).

Here is one of the cleaner strips.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
She obviously used the "ski jumper" technique, when she should have used the "jump away".

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Had to revive this thread after seeing today's Tank McNamara....football fans will appreciate this one. :)