• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

communication towers

Anybody know of a good resource for locating communication towers, especially those under 200ft?

Our county has an ordinance that requires varying seperation distances from communication towers, but I have not found a good way to verify distance to nearby communication towers without driving the subject area and even then the only way to get the distance is to take a lat/long reading and put it into Arcinfo. I have tried the FCC data, but it is sketchy for towers built prior to 2001 that did not require FAA registration.

Thanks

SGB

Cyburbian
a good project for an intern

Why not do a mailing to the tower owners asking for the lat/long?

Follow up the mailing with phone calls to those that did not respond, and don't forget to include a SASE for thier responses.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Isn't co-location a better alternative in that it reduces the total number of unsightly towers?

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Chet said:
NHPlanner is the resident expert. I relied heavily on (read STOLE) his research when I developed this local code

Holy crap Chet.....a lot of people have taken parts of my model.....but that's the first one that uses it all! I'm flattered.

In terms of a source for locating towers.....depends on the state. I know in NH the Office of State Planning developed and maintains an inventory map of all towers in the state.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
NHPlanner said:
Holy crap Chet.....a lot of people have taken parts of my model.....but that's the first one that uses it all! I'm flattered.
OT - but related
Did Chet just qualify as a member of SPRIW ? ;-)

Society for the
Prevention of
Re Inventing the
Wheel

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
JNA said:
OT - but related
Did Chet just qualify as a member of SPRIW ? ;-)

Society for the
Prevention of
Re Inventing the
Wheel
Why yes! Remember - stealing from one is plaigarism, stealing from many is research. :)

Towers- letters to tower owners

Unfortunately, it appears to me that the industry is highly fragmented- we get requests from wireless carriers, tower companys, site acquisition companies. Each one of them has different interests. I have been able to download some of the tower companies databases- but they are extremely large and some require registration. Even then, that does not encompass the vast majority of towers that are owned by the wireless carriers themselves (they will not give this info out on a public basis) unless the ordinance requires it, and the only means of enforcement is when they need a new tower.

Thanks for the input.