• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Community Infrastructure

jestes

Cyburbian
I hope that I am posting this to the correct board. How many of you work directly on community infrastructure issues such as water, wastewater, utilities, etc.? I am involved in a large project to provide central wastewater facilities to two adjacent rural communities. In Mississippi, we typically have utility districts that are governed by a board of directors appointed by the County Board of Supervisors. I am curious as to how other states handle these types of administrative issues in rural areas. Also, to those of you who have been involved in these types of projects, did you employ any creative funding mechanisms in the development of the project?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
As I was leaving the Village of Mazomanie six years ago, they were planning to construct a new sewage treatment plant and arterial main to serve three communities; Cross Plains, Black Earth, and Mazomanie. They are stretched out along a 10-12 mile stretch of Black Earth Creek. I don't know anyone there that you can talk to anymore, but you micht get some information by talking to the Dane County Regional Planning Commission in Madison, Wisconsin.

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
Most other states also use special utility districts, although there are many states where the districts either must or can have their own elected board of directors.

As for financing utilities these days, its revenue bonds based on user fees. There are not that many other options, although you may be able to get a federal guarantee of your bonds. If your area is growing, do not forget impact fees.