• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Competing WTC rebuild plan

BKM

Cyburbian
Bleh. Bringing back a watered down Twin Towers??

Until September 11, how many people really loved the Twin Towers, icons though they may have been. Classic example of government hubris combined with blah 1960s minimalism on a giant scale.

I'm surprised the National Review has bought into this idea. I would expect them to advocate Quinlan Terry and a Neo-Georgian design. :)

biscuit

Cyburbian
I'm with BKM on this one. Although I feel that that current replacement design lacks a lot to be desired, the idea of erecting an exact copy of what was there is far, far worse. First of all, to be perfectly honest, the original twin towers were ugly thin windowed boxes. And although the engineering of the towers was revolutionary, the design was pretty much uninspired. Additionaly, maybe it's just me, but isn't this idea a bit morbid?

Last edited: