• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Comprehensive Master Plan

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Messages
19,461
Points
44
Today, our senior planner asked us to keep a list of all the things that we think that a planner should do. As I was thinking about, I realized that there is a lot of stuff that our Comprehensive Master Plan does not address. The question that I pose to everyone on here is how often do you make updates to your Comp Plan, with out tossing it out and revising the whole thing?
 

biscuit

Cyburbian
Messages
3,904
Points
25
michaelskis said:
The question that I pose to everyone on here is how often do you make updates to your Comp Plan, with out tossing it out and revising the whole thing?
What comp plan?
Seriously, if we have one I haven't seen it.

In other towns I've worked in they were reviewed every five and generally updated every ten.
 

SGB

Cyburbian
Messages
3,387
Points
25
I usually recommend that the comprehensive plan be reviewed at least annually, and updated and/or revised every 5 years.
 

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Messages
3,838
Points
25
According to state law updates are required every 5 years. In reality, many towns don't meet this requirement. Each municipality was required to have a state certified comp plan in 1992. 11 years later about 30 - 40% still don't have a state certified plan.

State certification isn't as Big Brother as it sounds. The plan is reviewed by various state agencies, mostly for content requirements. The State doesn't force you to succumb to their "grand vision" or anything. This process is easier to manage in a state of only 39 municipalities.
 

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Messages
19,461
Points
44
Re: Re: Comprehensive Master Plan

biscuit said:
What comp plan?
Seriously, if we have one I haven't seen it.

In other towns I've worked in they were reviewed every five and generally updated every ten.
Ouch
 

donk

Cyburbian
Messages
6,970
Points
30
In our act it is required to review it every five years.

In our office we keep a running tally of things that need to be addressed, then when tehre is enough we do the changes. This is working out o be about every 18 months.

For clarification, our plan is brand new and we are still working out a few of the mapping errors and interpretation problems.

A review of the Zoning portion occurs at the same time.
 

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Messages
2,550
Points
25
With Wisconsin's Smart Growth Law in effect, we have been making updates about 1-2 times each year. The updates have been focused on redevelopment and residential neighborhood improvement.
 

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Messages
10,624
Points
34
Repo Man said:
With Wisconsin's Smart Growth Law in effect, we have been making updates about 1-2 times each year. The updates have been focused on redevelopment and residential neighborhood improvement.
Same here. It's great to have a continuously updated document.

Our next biggie is in 2007 when the regional sewer district expands our immediate service boundaries to the "ultimate". Woo hoo, a great reason to buy me ESRI Spatial Analyst. :)
 

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Messages
3,066
Points
30
KS law requires a review each year. I am now finishing a revision to the 1976 plan--after 6 years. Don't try it in house with a one person planning staff.
 

tsc

Cyburbian
Messages
1,905
Points
23
well..... 5 years would be great.. but it takes about 2-3 to get one done around here!!!
 

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Messages
19,461
Points
44
Seabishop said:
According to state law updates are required every 5 years. In reality, many towns don't meet this requirement. Each municipality was required to have a state certified comp plan in 1992. 11 years later about 30 - 40% still don't have a state certified plan.

State certification isn't as Big Brother as it sounds. The plan is reviewed by various state agencies, mostly for content requirements. The State doesn't force you to succumb to their "grand vision" or anything. This process is easier to manage in a state of only 39 municipalities.

What state do you live in?
 

biscuit

Cyburbian
Messages
3,904
Points
25
Seabishop said:
This process is easier to manage in a state of only 39 municipalities.
Wow, sounds like organizational heaven compared to here where there are 130 municipalities just in the county.
 

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Messages
2,016
Points
27
In Maryland, our Comp Plans are supposed to be updated at least every six years. We are right on track to hopefully adopt our new plan in early Fall. The problem is that there is no real consequence if you don't have an updated plan. My town started getting ready for this over two years ago with visioning sessions and all that good stuff. It's really hard for the little municipalities that don't have a planning staff and can't afford to hire a consultant. The state has circuit riders that provide local assistance, but there are just too many small places for them to all have updated Comp Plans.
 

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
9,889
Points
38
State law here recommends revision every 5-10 years. Here in my town we're updating our 1997 Master Plan now.
 

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Messages
3,838
Points
25
biscuit said:
Wow, sounds like organizational heaven compared to here where there are 130 municipalities just in the county.
If the state needs to hold a meeting anyone can be there in an hour. Compare that to California or Texas where people would have to fly in to get everyone together.

Since we are essentially a city-state we would be a nice case study for strong statewide planning. Sometimes the planner in me imagines an efficient Toronto-style merger, but towns understandably wouldn't want to give up local control.
 

Budgie

Cyburbian
Messages
5,270
Points
30
Georgia

I believe that in Georgia, cities and counties are required to update their plans every 10 years, while their required "5-Year Short-Term Work Program" to implement the plan must be periodically updated (every 2 years, I believe) and submitted to the Georgia Department of Community Affairs (DCA) for approval. Comp Plans are also submitted for compliance review to the DCA. Plan must be in compliance with the Georgia Planning Act and the rules of the DCA. None compliance can lead to limited grant opportunities from the State.
 

Rem

Cyburbian
Messages
1,524
Points
23
Typically in NSW, minor amendments to our primary instruments (called Local Environmental Plans) occur continuously. We would do between 5 and 20 a year depending on need.

Comprehensive reviews should, according to leading practice, be conducted every 5 and definately no more than 10 years. We currently have a new City Wide plan awaiting Ministerial approval - our first since 1984 (look they are really hard to do right).
 

Plan Man

Cyburbian
Messages
125
Points
6
Around here it's not work on reviewing the plan (since it is only a new plan this year), but working on all of the supporting documents and plans mentioned in the Official Plan (comp plan), such as greenspace master plan, city-wide design strategy etc...
 

Rem

Cyburbian
Messages
1,524
Points
23
Plan Man said:
Around here it's not work on reviewing the plan (since it is only a new plan this year), but working on all of the supporting documents and plans mentioned in the Official Plan (comp plan), such as greenspace master plan, city-wide design strategy etc...
We have just completed our package. If you are interested you may find something useful (by way of example) here.
 
Top