• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Conan Does Canada

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
So, do any of you late-night TV watching cyburbanites (those of you that actually own a TV) need help with all the inside jokes/references on the show this week? Anyone actually watch Conan O'Brien out there?

I think he may have gotten himself in a bit of trouble with the Quebec-ripping last night. French...err "Freedom" Canadians don't like that too much.http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040213.conan13/BNStory/Front/

ludes98

Cyburbian
Nice article. Haven't seen any of Conan's show lately. Sounds insensitive, but the insult dog segment alyways is. Nice way to end the article:

We don't like Americans and then they bring up an American and all of a sudden we're rolling around the grass about them. I don't get it.
Hate love realationship eh?

oulevin

Cyburbian
I was somewhat put off by the Quebec segment, but admittedly laughed at most of it. Kind of reminds me of the South's relationship to the rest of the continental U.S. No go on secession, different accent (okay, not language), and still the butt of jokes...

And how about that race between the CN Tower and the Space Needle mascots! Guess how it ended?

The Irish One

I watch Conan occasionally and I love the guy. It's cheap shot humor, why do people take this too seriously? Tranplanner is this as big a deal as the Globe and Mail reports?

"So you're French and Canadian, yes? So you're obnoxious and dumb,"
French-language street signs were changed to English, bearing names like Celine Dion Sucks Street, Eat Me Frenchy Street, and Quebecqueer Street.
"You can tell you're French," the puppet said to one person. "I can smell your crotch from here."
"You're in North America; learn the language," Triumph, the cigar-smoking dog, hollered at another Quebecker at the carnival.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
ludes98 The guy who said that (Don Cherry) is a huge blowhard. I'm surprised he made a comment like that, especially as I seem to recall him we should all be supporting America back when the invasion of Iraq went ahead.

TIO It could be - like I said, the Quebecois don't take too kindly to being ripped like that...especially when it was Canadian taxpayer money that got Conan up here to do his show in the first place!

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it referred to conan the adventurer, conan the barbarian, or something of the the sort. How fitting for Canada, Eh?

Imagine my disappointment when Canada is only being invaded by late night TV.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Get Over It.

Next time the Canadian Minister of Let's Not Hurt Anybody's Feelings can write the script of the show in advance. Conan can take French lessons and Max can purchase some Freedom Ticklers for his escapades. Maybe the writing staff of the Barney show could provide Triumph the Insult Comic Dog with some nice comments that are uplifting and provide empowerment to the French Canadians.

Get over it! If Canada wants a comic to come visit to pump up your town, you might watch a few tapes of previous shows before sealing envelope with the check in it and droping it in the mail. We've been putting up with the Peter Jennings liberal smirk far longer than you had to with a dog puppet.

French Canadian Feelings? For me to POOP ON!

i've caught about half of the shows on comedy central the next afternoon - i really enjoyed it, and thought about Tran while eating my soup and watching Conan get beat up by the Mapleleafs. I was really surprised about the "backlash". Like Guap said, had they never seen Triumph? MTV only played the I Keed video 800 times. I really think this is being blown way out of proportion. sigh.