• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Concrete Central Pictures-Buffalo River

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
-Well Rumpy went on an adventure sunday to tour Concrete Central, the future home of Rumpy's Rampage.
1st pic looking NE up Buffalo River.
1657IMAGE007-med.jpg

Thats the Marine watch tower on the right.
1657IMAGE008-med.jpg

Looking west at east side of building, man the need to cut these weeds.
1657IMAGE009-med.jpg

1657IMAGE010-med.jpg

Rumpy Tuna as himself.
1657IMAGE011-med.jpg

Looking S.W. Hey whats that?
1657IMAGE012-med.jpg

Somebody lose there car?
1657IMAGE013-med.jpg

Train depot on bottom of pic
1657IMAGE014-med.jpg

Inside looking north
1657IMAGE015-med.jpg

looking north, light way at the end is north entrance
1657IMAGE016-med.jpg

pipes where grain would come out from cylinders
1657IMAGE017-med.jpg

looking south, Cargill grain elevator
1657IMAGE018-med.jpg

moving marine tower on railroad tracks
1657IMAGE019-med.jpg

Broken windows theory, wait jamie does what?
1657IMAGE020-med.jpg

Looking NE
1657IMAGE021-med.jpg

Looking west across Buffalo River
1657IMAGE022-med.jpg

Top of moving marine tower on right
1657IMAGE023-med.jpg

Captain Rumpy Tuna ready for battle and Cargill Elevator in background. Looking SW
1657IMAGE024-med.jpg

One of many tunnels on site, sorry no flashlight, I'm not going in there.
1657IMAGE025-med.jpg

Hey, those zany kids!
1657IMAGE027-med.jpg

Looking east
1657IMAGE028-med.jpg

train loading area, looking north
1657IMAGE029-med.jpg

Looking south, fixed marine tower in center.
1657IMAGE030-med.jpg

Wheels
1657IMAGE031-med.jpg

Spouts
1657IMAGE032-med.jpg

Dude there's my car!!
http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/data/516/1657IMAGE033-med.jpg[IMG]

Center of building on its east side
[ATTACH=full]38942[/ATTACH]

Fixed marine tower looking west
[ATTACH=full]38943[/ATTACH]

Inside tower looking SW towards Cargill elevator.
[ATTACH=full]38944[/ATTACH]

Damn, they took down some of the stairs, looking up stair-well in tower.
[ATTACH=full]38945[/ATTACH]

Well back from the adventure, time for a drink at Rumpy's
[IMG]http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/data/500/1657Bar-med.jpg

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Lovely decoration inside the concrete central :) And the exterior weeds and wrecked cars do give it a classy touch ;)

SGB

Cyburbian
I'm thinkin' you'll have room there for your brewery, a climbing wall center, and paintball.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
SGB said:
I'm thinkin' you'll have room there for your brewery, a climbing wall center, and paintball.
Yeah, the place is big enough for that and more. You can see in some of the pictures that people have been playing paintball in there.
And no I was wondering who jamie was too.

donk

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tuna said:
Yeah, the place is big enough for that and more. You can see in some of the pictures that people have been playing paintball in there.
And no I was wondering who jamie was too.
Considering the writing over the white paint, I'd have to say a bisexual women with lesbian tendencies?

(Always back to lesbians)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Those tunnels would be an awesome place for paintball :p How about filling one silo with water and on the bottom you put a transparent buble and put a restaurant there... :p
Or use some for shooting intercontinental missiles mwahahahaha ;)

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
Those tunnels would be an awesome place for paintball :p How about filling one silo with water and on the bottom you put a transparent buble and put a restaurant there... :p
Or use some for shooting intercontinental missiles mwahahahaha ;)
Next time I go I'll be sure to bring a flashligh to check out the tunnels. That picture is from outside where the boats would dock. There's some tunnels inside too, and I have yet to make to the top of the building. I'll be sure to take some more pics on my next adventure and I'll bring some rope so I can try and reach the top of the marine tower.;)

jordanb

Cyburbian
I was hoping for a picture of the inside of one of the tubes. How big are they, exactly?

Also, it looks like it already is a paintball arena! ;)

Mod Edit (nerudite): Deleted jordanb's astounding colloquial vocabularly lesson. Keep it cleaner outside the FAC, please.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian

H

Cyburbian
I read what you wrote, but I will ask anyway, why where you touring this site?

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
H said:
I read what you wrote, but I will ask anyway, why where you touring this site?
-I'm doing a project on site location and building reuse. The project is to turn the building into a brewery, although other options have been added to the mix. Some day I would like to open a business and this is something I would like to do, although I'd have to start out small.
Here's the link to the original thread I started about what to do with the building.
http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8992

H

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tuna said:
-I'm doing a project on site location and building reuse. The project is to turn the building into a brewery, although other options have been added to the mix. Some day I would like to open a business and this is something I would like to do, although I'd have to start out small.
Here's the link to the original thread I started about what to do with the building.
http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8992
Oh yeah, I even voted on that thread. I didn’t put the two together, I should pay more attention. :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Maybe I shouldn't ask, but...

Who owns the building? Does the city control it or is it "abandoned?"

Do you have permission to go in there or are you, um...

Will you arrange a CyburbiaTour ™ for all of us who are interested in the derelict industrial history of America?

biscuit

Cyburbian
H said:
Oh yeah, I even voted on that thread. I didn’t put the two together, I should pay more attention. :)
Time to take your Ritalin H?

Great Pics Rumpy!
I don't know if it's natural curiosity or some sort of strange planners malady, but for one really enjoy investigating and exploring old and abandoned structures. Something about the sense of exploration and the aura of neglectful decay that makes going to these places so interesting.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
We have an abandoned (semi-constructed actually) building, right by the river, but it's not very accesible, and heavily locked up, and they stopped building it in the late '90s (1998 I believe) and there are no aparent signs from vandalism from the outside, nor have I heard of any crime cases there, and there are no people living there. That's more or less the "bright" side... it hasn't been vandalized.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
Maybe I shouldn't ask, but...

Who owns the building? Does the city control it or is it "abandoned?"

Do you have permission to go in there or are you, um...

Will you arrange a CyburbiaTour ™ for all of us who are interested in the derelict industrial history of America?
-Currently the City of Buffalo owns the building and the last time I checked, they had it assesed at $139,000. Of course thats from their map site, and I don't think its been updated in a while. From what I've been told, if you want to buy the building they'll give it to you for $1, but you'll probally have to pay back taxes. It also has been granted historical status by the national historical whoever they are.
-Permission? We don't need no stinking permission! Actually, technically I was tress... The only way to get access to the building is to go on the raiload company CSX's property, by following the tracks, unless you've got a boat. From what I've heard from other people, they've been questioned by the railroad police, but usually they'll let you go. I've been back there on numerous occasions and haven't had a problem.
-Of course when your wearing a green & white mess hat that says "Rumpy the Tunanator" on it, and you've got a truck full of orange cones in the back, nobody seems to question what your doing.
-Tour huh, real or virtual? If your ever in the area I can show you around all the industrial sites.;)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tuna said:
[BIf your ever in the area I can show you around all the inustrial sites.;) [/B]
I think I have just made up my mind where to go on my next vacation. Anyone else? Let's go to Buffalo!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
I think I have just made up my mind where to go on my next vacation. Anyone else? Let's go to Buffalo!
-Afterwards we can hit the bars, and of course Rumpy's Speakeasy.

biscuit said:
Time to take your Ritalin H?
Great Pics Rumpy!
I don't know if it's natural curiosity or some sort of strange planners malady, but for one really enjoy investigating and exploring old and abandoned structures. Something about the sense of exploration and the aura of neglectful decay that makes going to these places so interesting.
There's more places to explore, I'll have to take more pics.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Here's another pic (looking east) with Cargill Elevator in center and Concrete Central on the left. On the right you can see some train cars, And the path I'm on is the railroads ROW.
1657IMAGE006-med.jpg

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Alright here's some more pics of various grain elevators in Buffalo. I'll have to update this later to find some of the names because they've changed over the years.

Looking south across site of canal excavation of commercial slip.
1657P1010025-med.jpg

1657P1010032-med.jpg

Looking North up Buffalo River from water
1657P1010033-med.jpg

Looking North out of water
1657P1010034-med.jpg

Looking east
1657P1010035-med.jpg

One thats still working, looking east
1657P1010036-med.jpg

1657P1010037-med.jpg

Looking North, NW
1657P1010038-med.jpg

Concrete Central in background and beautiful salvage yard in foreground.
1657P1010039-med.jpg