• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Confession time, Part II

el Guapo

Capitalist
Re: Im back from vacation, and I missed a lot...

Chet said:
But I have Nerudite beat on the car thing. In 5 years I have never ever vacuumed my car. Despite living in Wisconsin I wash it once a year in March. It has never been waxed except when the annual car wash sprays the stuff on.

I like fried spam with grape jelly.

I just returned a rental car with several hundred dollars in accident damage and they didnt notice and signed off on the intake. This was after I ripped off all of the plastic trim so the whole car matched its "new" front... (whew!)

Whew! That could have been way worse. ;)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I am borderline obsessive about vacuuming and cleaning the interior of my car. I probably vacuum 1-2 times per month and use leather conditioner 3-4 timer per year. I hate having anything in my car (papers, beverage containers, etc). and this includes the trunk I keep a couple of Swiffer dust rags in my car too because I can't stand having dust on the dashboard.

Funny thing is, my apartment is in a constant state of disarray and is rarely clean.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Re: Re: Im back from vacation, and I missed a lot...

Habanero said:
where is the story behind that one?

C'mon Habanero, you know the story:

This one time, in Band Camp....

el Guapo

Capitalist
Re: Re: Re: Im back from vacation, and I missed a lot...

Habanero said:
where is the story behind that one?

Just a running gag between planning dudes with too much time on our hands.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Re: Re: Re: Im back from vacation, and I missed a lot...

el Guapo said:
Just a running gag between planning dudes with too much time on our hands.

And yet another "masterfull " setup....

BKM

Cyburbian
This will play into Seabishop's prejudices, but I sometimes allow my dogs to "visit" a nearby trash-filled vacant lot. I figure their "production" is less noxious than the fast food containers and cups dropped by the obnoxious local hellions. (The local high school is going "closed campus" soon-no more litter patrol! :))

I don't particularly like children. Indifference may be a better word.

I/we are not real good about landscape maintenance at my condo complex. I forgot to turn the irrigation on this morning.

Dan: Your dogs look almost as cute/manipulative as mine.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
a few more come to mind:
-
I don't particularly like children
I second that :D
-The name changes in the forum still confuse me.. :( Anybody mind sending me a PM with a practical chart withe the new and old names for better identification :D

hmm I tend to be quite honest (or at least I don't remember my lies) so I doubt I have any more confessions... plus I'm a 'little' younger than most of the others here :p

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
BKM said:

Dan: Your dogs look almost as cute/manipulative as mine.

I must agree, they do look cute and manipulative. Mine are the same way.

Are they Portugese Water Dogs? I have always wanted one or a puli, but my husband doesn't like them that much. I do love my Staffie bull terriers though.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Trail Nazi said:
I must agree, they do look cute and manipulative. Mine are the same way.

Are they Portugese Water Dogs? I have always wanted one or a puli, but my husband doesn't like them that much. I do love my Staffie bull terriers though.

Sure, because they "tell" you things...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I probably risk any future FAICP nomination for this one, but here goes. I do not keep my old copies of Planning Magazine in hermetically-sealed archival plastic bags. I have occassionally clipped an article for future reference, but the rest of the magazine gets recycled.

There. It feels better to get that off my chest.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Trail Nazi said:
Are they Portugese Water Dogs? .
Yuppers! Got Bailey as a puppy in Colorado, and Guinness through PWD Rescue in Palm Beach County. Despite the breed's name, my pooches don't like to swim. Bailey will run into the water, but walk on her hind legs when she gets into an area that's deep. Guinness avoids H20 altogether. Go figure.

bg_3.jpg

Seabishop ... Guinness wants a kiss! He's such a slobberpuss. C 'mon ... give Guinness a kissie-poo ...

drooling_guinness.jpg

Zoning Goddess said:
Sure, because they "tell" you things...
Especially PWDs ... they have a multi-octave voice. They tend to chortle and mumble, much like Basenjis, but they also have strange multi-pitch barks.

My next door neighbor, though, has a dog that will mumble back to you if you mumble to it; she'll actually have a conversation with you! The dog is actually trained to say "I love you," but it sounds more like "rii raa ooo." Cute.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Anyone hear the "Confession Line" segment on NPR's "This American Life" a few years ago? I think this is one of the most memorable things I've ever heard on that show. Some man set up a telephone line where people could call in, anonymously, and confess things to get them off their chests. The stories people told were absolutely amazing. Before the line was shut-down after a few months, a few people had confessed to accidental deaths, unsolved murders, stealing from charities, etc - it was pretty disturbing.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Especially PWDs ... they have a multi-octave voice. They tend to chortle and mumble, much like Basenjis, but they also have strange multi-pitch barks.

My next door neighbor, though, has a dog that will mumble back to you if you mumble to it; she'll actually have a conversation with you! The dog is actually trained to say "I love you," but it sounds more like "rii raa ooo." Cute.

My dog Harry talks as well. Sometimes, he won’t shut up because he is telling you so much. He loves to wag his tail, wink and talk to you at the same time. He is so cute that when he does this you can’t help but listen. My other dog, Tina, chirps like a bird. She sounds so much like a pterodactyl (or at least what I imagine one to sound like).

I was a terrible foreign exchange student. This one still gives me pangs of guilt, even though it was more than 10 years ago, I still think about it frequently, just before I'm falling asleep and feel really bad about it. I was homesick all the time, spent half my time with American students, speaking English, rarely went to school, instead skipping to go hang out in the city park or somewhere else in Madrid. Lied to my host parents about having boys over when they were gone. One of the most amazing experiences of my life, but also one of the most miserable.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Dan said:

Seabishop ... Guinness wants a kiss! He's such a slobberpuss. C 'mon ... give Guinness a kissie-poo ...

I'm going to make a great cranky old man someday.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Seabishop said:
I'm going to make a great cranky old man someday.

I've noticed in the last couple of years that I am turning into one myself.

Queen B

Cyburbian
My wedding ring is a fake.

It looks absolutely fabulous. We bought the ring itself from a pawn shop 4mm comfort fit gold band.
The stone is 1 1/2 carat cushion cut Mosanite and it is set in a tall tulip head of white gold. Compares to an $8000 rings that I was looking at.

Total price $500.

I swore I would not tell anyone but the Mosanite is wearing so well and is so beautiful everyday. They say that jewelers can't tell the difference.

Planderella

Cyburbian
Queen B said:
My wedding ring is a fake.

It looks absolutely fabulous.

So is my engagement ring; however, no one knows it. I tell people that this ring is just keeping my finger warm until I get my real ring, which is true.

SGB

Cyburbian
When we were getting our wedding rings engraved, I wanted mine to read: "If found, please return to......."

My wife failed to see the humor in that.

The Irish One

over in the songs NOT to plan by thread I confessed

"smooth jazz makes me horny baby. How's that for creepy!"

I confess once again.

Habanero

Cyburbian
SGB said:
When we were getting our wedding rings engraved, I wanted mine to read: "If found, please return to......."

My wife failed to see the humor in that.

okay, that is funny. If it would fit I'd put "you give me packman fever- amah amah amah" on James' ring.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
this is too much fun

I use caller ID at home and rarely answer.

I'm SO late on credit card payments, but I can't afford to pay them until I can pay them off- I'm expecting a settlement from an accident sometime this decade. So I avoid collecters like the plague....sometimes I answer the phone and tell them off. In a sick way, it makes me feel better.

On a related note, I absolutely despise those telemarketers/collectors that begin with a recorded message asking you to hold. I'm sorry, I think that is incredibly rude and anyone that calls me and asks ME to hold before we've even spoken can kiss it.

I love the sun, the outdoors, and I rarely wear sunscreen.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
SGB said:
My parents did not have children until the mid to late 1960's when they were in their late 30's and early 40's.

Consequently my sister and I had quite a different upbringing from our friends, whose parents were typically 15-20 years younger than ours. An example: my wife's grandmother is the age of my parents.

Please tell me I have not ruined my childrens' lives! I didn't marry until I was 36 and we had our first child when I was 39 (my young and beautiful wife is ten years younger than I). Now we've got three fantastic kids, and we probably will have another one (or more?). I've always said that I delayed marriage and children so that I could realize my lifelong dream of financing my children's education with Social Security, but the real reason was that I couldn't find a woman who could stand me any sooner.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
off the subject:

D-Hawk - looks to me that you should be on a most-wanted poster at planned parenthood.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Wedding Related confession: I refuse to have a bridal portrait displayed at the reception because if the people I've invited need a legend to figure out who I am they should be there anyway.

Normal confession: I just found out that a ton of care home/child care home are operating without a business license- and just turned my files over the the city auditor per her request.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Wedding Rings - we bought the set at Wal Mart for less than a C-Note for both and neither of us feel the need to upgrade. We each have a plain gold band as society requires and that is about as far as we want to take that foolishness. I think we would rather spend the 3K+ some couples blow on rings on travel instead. It helps to have a wife with common sense. Bless you dear.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
el Guapo said:
Wedding Rings - we bought the set at Wal Mart for less than a C-Note for both and neither of us feel the need to upgrade. We each have a plain gold band as society requires and that is about as far as we want to take that foolishness. I think we would rather spend the 3K+ some couples blow on rings on travel instead. It helps to have a wife with common sense. Bless you dear.

I don't wear one. No jewelry at all. I can't stand it... I won't even wear a watch.

SGB

Cyburbian
DecaturHawk said:
Please tell me I have not ruined my childrens' lives! I didn't marry until I was 36 and we had our first child when I was 39 (my young and beautiful wife is ten years younger than I). Now we've got three fantastic kids, and we probably will have another one (or more?). I've always said that I delayed marriage and children so that I could realize my lifelong dream of financing my children's education with Social Security, but the real reason was that I couldn't find a woman who could stand me any sooner.

Not to worry. With the proper type of psychological counseling and the right medical prescriptions, your children will be just fine!

;)

donk

Cyburbian
I'm with mastiff, no jewelery not even a watch.

What drives people nuts is that I can usually tell what time it is within 5 minutes of the actual time.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
off the subject:

D-Hawk - looks to me that you should be on a most-wanted poster at planned parenthood.

You'd think they'd want a poster of me, since all of my children were planned, but I don't think that's what PP is all about.

SGB said:
Not to worry. With the proper type of psychological counseling and the right medical prescriptions, your children will be just fine!

Glad to hear it. Actually my children have noticed that my regimen of counseling and prescriptions has helped me quite a bit...oh, wait...that's not what you meant, was it?

SGB

Cyburbian
DecaturHawk said:
Glad to hear it. Actually my children have noticed that my regimen of counseling and prescriptions has helped me quite a bit...oh, wait...that's not what you meant, was it?

Hey, some for you - some for them. Even better!

;)

nerudite

Cyburbian
donk said:
I'm with mastiff, no jewelery not even a watch.

What drives people nuts is that I can usually tell what time it is within 5 minutes of the actual time.

Me too! About the no watch/telling time skills.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
My watch has been stuck on UK time (minus 10 minutes) for the past week and a half. The little knob thingy fell off when I went to reset it...I looked into fixing it, but I think I may just buy a new watch instead.

biscuit

Cyburbian
confessions of a cheap man

I bought my fiance's ring wholesale, which I'm actually proud of, but she doesn't know.

I also bought her a fake Fendi handbag for her birthday.

Planderella

Cyburbian
I'm just the opposite with watches - I absolutely love them. I own about 15 with plans on acquiring more.

Ditto on the late payments!!

donk

Cyburbian
I am the opposite on payments, I make them on time and usually overpay minimum (ie student loans an extra $50 /month, credit card typically has a low balance).

I could not stand having to worry that someone is going to call about money.

BKM

Cyburbian
Further confessions

I am hopeless at personal financial management.

No late payments (usually), but I've had a few "bookeeping errors" in my checking accounts lately. Wells Fargo loves my fee income.

At least I've cut up almost all my credit cards.

SGB

Cyburbian
Not a paid endorsement

BKM said:
I am hopeless at personal financial management.

I used to be hopeless, and then I started using Quicken to track home finances.

Now, I'm proud to say, I'm only semi-hopeless. I can even tell you exactly how much I'm overdrawn by on my checking!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
nerudite said:
Me too! About the no watch/telling time skills.

I have a general idea of the time, but unless I have a meeting noted in my planner (that I constantly use), it's more or less irrelevant. But then, if I'm in my office, I have the time on my computer and phone... there's a clock in every room of City Hall... If I'm in the field, I have the clock in the car or the time on my cell phone... And if I'm at home? I usually just don't give a ****. Unless there's a hockey game coming on, of course...

SGB

Cyburbian
last one in is a rotten egg!

I finally bought Sim City 4 last night. Somehow I feel like one of a minority of U.S. planners that didn't purchase this right after it was released.

And to think: my wife feels like I spend too much time on our home computer already. ;)

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Somehow I feel like one of a minority of U.S. planners that didn't purchase this right after it was released.

I don't have Sim City 4, nor 1, 2, 3 (if they even exist), and have never played any of them. (And to think that I didn't think I had anything to confess).

BKM

Cyburbian
Sim City?

God, I spend enough time at work. I wouldn't go out and buy a computer game that requires me to do more planning :)

ecofem

Cyburbian
Re: Sim City?

BKM said:
God, I spend enough time at work. I wouldn't go out and buy a computer game that requires me to do more planning :)

I second that emotion.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I used to like Sim City but now I enjoy more destructive games like Grand Theft Auto.

I bought SC 3000 and I played it a few times now it sits unused on a shelf.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I also have SC 3000 but my son plays it more than me. And he knows all the commands on how to embezzle $$. Make the game more authentic, don't you think?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I was an avid Sim City player years ago. Now I just create small cities so my son can let the disasters loose and watch the destruction.