• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Confession time, Part II

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Another confession. Pregnant Cyburbians, take note. I use my child as an excuse to get out of non-work-related stuff I really don't want to do, like "I can't go; I have to take Conner to a birthday party". Always works.

In college, I never balanced my checkbook once. However, when we got Quicken, I became the bill paying Nazi. Well, at least before gettting pregnant. I LOVED to pay bills. And I'd make little (ok, not so little) spreadsheets to track our student loans and mortgage, to see when we'd get them paid off if we sent in extra money every month. Total dork.

SGB

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Another confession. Pregnant Cyburbians, take note. I use my child as an excuse to get out of non-work-related stuff I really don't want to do, like "I can't go; I have to take Conner to a birthday party". Always works.

And now, a word from the equality police:

Men, this works just as well for us! :)

donk

Cyburbian
While I pay most things early/on time, I never balance my cheque book, most months I go into overdraft protection at least once. In the end it always evens out and I have a pretty good idea where the money went .

Habanero

Cyburbian
I've used my boobs to get me stuff- including a discount on a tire rotation and oil change this morning.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Habanero said:
I've used my boobs to get me stuff- including a discount on a tire rotation and oil change this morning.

Geez, now you're out flashing mechanics! What's next?

nerudite

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
I've used my boobs to get me stuff.

Yeah, I've done that too... I don't feel too bad because I figure what I get now will offset the back problems I have later in life.

el Guapo

Capitalist
I've tried to use my boobs as a eye candy to gain a tactical advantage with police officers and mechanics, but to no effect.

Jen

Cyburbian
My youngest child is eligible to start all day everyday kindergarten next fall, but I am holding her back so i can have an extra year to goof off before I have to find a job!

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
I've used my boobs to get me stuff.

Done that one too. Very good tactic to play, but it can be used as a trump card as not to abuse it. It is even worse now that I am pregnant.

kms

Cyburbian
I used my state(s) of pregnancy to get things. I was invited to cut in line at the beef tenderloin section of a fancy wedding (not mine :) ) buffet. Two days before delivering my last child, I was bumped to the beginning of the car repair waiting line, since I looked pretty unstable. Car grease and broken water do not mix.

kms said:
I used my state(s) of pregnancy to get things. I was invited to cut in line at the beef tenderloin section of a fancy wedding (not mine :) ) buffet. Two days before delivering my last child, I was bumped to the beginning of the car repair waiting line, since I looked pretty unstable. Car grease and broken water do not mix.

I'm dying to start showing so that i too can exploit my pregnancy for personal gain. I'm in my fourth month and still don't look pregnant yet, aside from the green tinge I've acquired with the all day sickness. But as it is, I did use my pregnancy to snag a highly coveting seat on a couch at an all day seminar I attended recently. AND even though it is perfectly safe, I haven't told Rob otherwise, and I'm "not allowed" to help out with any of the nursery or living room painting. yeah!

Habanero

Cyburbian
I booked the church and dj while at work today. I calculate food costs at work and have a spreadsheet to see which reception site will let us eat what we want and also allow us to have a full open bar (we'll be having an 8 drink minimum).

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I was checking some old pages here and saw the Sim City topic go up (sorry to bring it back :p)

well I can't seem to balance the friggin budget in sc4! :( so when you need financial advise, call me ;)

The weird thing is that in Real Life™ I'm not that bad with money... sure I'm a cheap bastard, but what the heck :p

plankton

Cyburbian
I spend several hours (I mean several) on fantasy football every fall. Never at work though.....

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Trail Nazi said:
I am watching the posts quite a bit too while I am at work. Cyburbia is addictive.

Yes, say "Thank you Zoning Goddess!". Oops, sorry, you are one of the other zoning goddesses.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I almost never answer the phone at home since I got caller ID. 90% of calls are from "unknown caller" anyway.

I was once at a party, broke a friend's expensive piece of crystal (no witnesses). The next day she asked me if I would inquire around discretely to see if I could find out for her who might have broke her favorite decoration. I agreed to do so... but never found the perp.

chrisinmd

Cyburbian
I watched Dancing with the Stars-- and liked it.
I read People magazine at the dentist and in the checkout line at the grocery store and always put it back in the wrong place.
I drink Coors beer although the Coors family support right-wing causes.

I've never used my boobs to get anything but if I had boobs I'd use them, and I rather like looking at boobs.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
yes on the boob thing - they are very powerful and have gotten me out of alot of scrapes but added to my skill out of getting away from what would have been a harassment suit on the job when i was in my 20's and 30's -

but my confession is that my dad used to tell the guys i dated (including my now husband) to "watch out for my daughter, she could charm a snake"

wtf, huh?

guess that's why I'm a planner, so that's the confesssion for today -

Coragus

Cyburbian
Here's two:

I have started to weed out friends that require maintanance. Can't get in your car and drive the 20 miles to my house because in the five years I've known you, you still don't have a drivers licence? Tough.

I love my parents, but I'm glad my Mom lives an hour away so that she can't drop in without calling and giving due notice.

kms said:
I used my state(s) of pregnancy to get things.

As a Dad, I can't say this, but I sure do get mileage out of having the little boy around. I get free stuff from coffee shops, but more importantly, he's an instant excuse from leaving crappy places.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I am hooked on two TV shows that are complete polar opposites. The new Battlestar Gallactica, and Project Runway.

waits for "geek fag" comments to roll in

BKM

Cyburbian
No lost pounds yet. :(

Spent way too much money this past weekend, as I continue to use credit as a drug to ameliorate my stagnant life. :p That's gonna stop, though, as even in today's era of easy credit, you can only go so far. :p

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
BKM said:
Spent way too much money this past weekend, as I continue to use credit as a drug to ameliorate my stagnant life. :p That's gonna stop, though, as even in today's era of easy credit, you can only go so far. :p

I destroyed all of my credit cards in 2001. When I need to travel, I use a debit card with a $3k daily limit. My only debts are real estate related. I am glad I went cold turkey or I'd probably be in over my head in debt.

The Irish One

I have started to weed out friends that require maintanance.
I'll second that confession. I feel a bit shallow but considering my schedule and trying to stay with a lady friend, its been a natural declination.:)

BKM

Cyburbian
Chet said:
I destroyed all of my credit cards in 2001. When I need to travel, I use a debit card with a $3k daily limit. My only debts are real estate related. I am glad I went cold turkey or I'd probably be in over my head in debt.

I needed to do this five years ago. This is my number one weakness, and I can psychoanalyze myself all I want, but it hasn't stopped me yet. Good for you for going cold turkey.

The real problem is I need to make some big investments in my townhouse, and I've dug myself too deep.

I am now on a five year budget that will help me get out of the hole, but it will be really tough because there are the underlying psychological/spritiual/personal issues that a discussion board cannot get too deeply into. :p

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Queen B said:
My wedding ring is a fake.

I have a huge cubic zirconia "engagement" ring that I used for years, to get rid of guys I didn't want to be bothered with. Sorry, see, I just got "engaged".

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I have made the necessary payments to become a Lifetime Member of my school's Alumni Association.

And now -

I have received the information/form to become a Lifetime Member of the Sierra Club.

Queen B

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
I have a huge cubic zirconia "engagement" ring that I used for years, to get rid of guys I didn't want to be bothered with. Sorry, see, I just got "engaged".
But I still love my ring. It doesn't look fake I just don't have to worry about what I would do if I lost it.

biscuit

Cyburbian
[ot]
Zoning Goddess said:
So does that mean that RJ can't take a hint, or that he's just oblivious? ;-)[/ot]

I confess that, as much as I like my job, the public I'm supposed to be happily serving seems so unbalanced that they are close to driving me away. Far, far away...

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
biscuit said:
[ot]
So does that mean that RJ can't take a hint, or that he's just oblivious? ;-)[/ot]
[ot]I didn't notice. Oh, and my gray matter is pretty dense, too. :s: [/ot]

CosmicMojo

>>Quote:
I have started to weed out friends that require maintanance.

I'll second that confession. I feel a bit shallow but considering my schedule and trying to stay with a lady friend, its been a natural declination.>>

I don't think there's anything the matter with that. How I decided to do that was to ask does this friendship energize me or drain me of energy? The ideal friendship energizes both parties (understanding that there are periods of fluctuation back and forth when one needs support a little more than the other). But those friendships that were constant energy drains on me all the time were allowed to fade away (only 2).

zman

Cyburbian
I find myself enjoy the songs whenever Chicago or Cheap Trick come on the radio...:-$

I complain a lot about things on TV (except for the History of Concrete on Modern Marvels), but I am decidely addicted to the ABC show Lost. :-o

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
--I've watched Celebrity Fit Club more than once.
--I tell everyone that I love Prince and I always play his old songs on the juke box, but I don't actually own any of his cds.
--I never put the word "trainee" on my business cards - even though I was one for almost a year.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I am some what OCD and plan most conversations in my head, before they happen.
I have a serious addition to hot sauce. (Goes on just about everything)
I play the drums
I use a moisturizer to prevent getting dry skin and take two showers a day
I am slightly “metro”
I have slight social fears in my hometown, but complete confidence in every other place.
I love public speaking. (It gives me a terrific rush)
I hate cake
I am allergic to walnuts. (I swell up)
I don’t like glass elevators or railings
I listen to classical music

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I think you're all a bunch of stupid jerks!

:-D

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
mendelman said:
I think you're all a bunch of stupid jerks!

:-D

this one made me laugh

I still can't keep up with who knows who in realtime - very confusing

my confession for today is I am working form home online watching my favorite soap opera, Young and the Restless

noottamevas

Cyburbian
luckless pedestrian said:
my confession for today is I am working form home online watching my favorite soap opera, Young and the Restless
The fact that you like the Y & R is a confession in itself.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
savemattoon said:
The fact that you like the Y & R is a confession in itself.

I know, hope we can still be friends...

.....actually, I started watching it on 1978 - ouch!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
luckless pedestrian said:
ack - great, I was in the 8th/9th grade...

I was a freshman in college in a now-defunct private school in Springvale, ME. 8-!

Of course, all of your confessions just mean y'all want to be conformists. I confess nothing without torture first.;-)

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Chet said:
I am hooked on two TV shows that are complete polar opposites. The new Battlestar Gallactica, and Project Runway.

waits for "geek fag" comments to roll in
I hope Daniel wins.
[and I don't feel the need to confess that I watch the show. I was in that field for the past 10 years.] [but I'm also a girl:a: :a: ...is that relevant?]

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I chew ice which annoys people around me, and I don't care. I could strangle people who crack gum for hours on end, and there are a lot more of them than us ice chewers.

I don't clean the house much unless company's coming, and even then it's pretty half-a$$ed, what with a kid and pets.

I wrote a book report for my son in 6th grade. He's now been to two other schools and used the same report two more times.

I am phobic about heights, flying in powered planes, and roaches.

zman

Cyburbian
Z is all 3: A Sap, Sucker and Spineless...

True confession here:

When I bought my truck last December I knowingly purchased it after the salesman LIED THROUGH HIS TEETH about the previous owners, I balked at the price negotiations (basically one half-assed attempt by me on the asking price and he turning me down), and basically did the purchase on impulse.

I hated myself for a couple days after that... and couldn't focus on anything except for what I just "did"

I will find out next week if it even went through the Toyota Certified Inspection process (it IS in the Certified program, but some of the work I have done on the truck makes me think they B.S.ed me about the inspection, and just certified it to sell the truck to me).
I seem to be getting tougher on this now...

I love the truck and it is in great shape, but I feel I could've done better AND I see some of the deals on NEW trucks now (from Ford) that has gotten me thinking even harder about last December.:-|