• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Confession time, Part II

imaplanner

Cyburbian
I've always wanted to walk into the kitchen of a mexican restaurant and yell "Immigration!":6:

My father, now retired from the border patrol, has been known to do this on occasion just for the fun of it. Was with him once at a fast food joint and as we were leaving the restaurant he yelled "La Migra" people started running.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I sat in a meeting this week and figured out the menu for my lunch/tea shop I want to open one day

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I've sent 5 resumes out to 4 different states within the last couple weeks. All applications are designed to move my career forward, get me out of Kentucky. If I get one of these gigs, I'm still deciding on whether or not Mrs. Coragus is invited and haven't told her about any of these resumes.
Um....you win! :-o

TOFB

Cyburbian
I want to become Minister of Planning for a tiny, third world, island country. The funny thing is that there is a remote possibility of that happening.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've sent 5 resumes out to 4 different states within the last couple weeks. All applications are designed to move my career forward, get me out of Kentucky. If I get one of these gigs, I'm still deciding on whether or not Mrs. Coragus is invited and haven't told her about any of these resumes.

How did I miss this - yeah, you do win! :h:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
At times I do miss my ex, tho she was crazy.

If I could blow off working out at the Y and not look like Jabba the Hut, I would

Part of the reason I like living in a apartment complex is that no one knows me. I've been in the middle of enough neighborhood pissing matches to know that neighbors are a mixed blessing.

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
I have thought about leaving planning and going to culinary school. I enjoy being a planner, but the thought of doing this for the next 40 years scares the bejezzus out of me. In reality it probably won't ever happen b/c of my mountains of student loans. :r:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am the worst morning person on the planet. In the job I just left I asked for a 10-6 shift so I could spend more time with the clients. It was because I could sleep in until 8:30 :D

btrage

Cyburbian
I am increasingly becoming an anti-cat/anti-dog person. This sucks because I have a dog. I hope this doesn't make me a bad person. But I'm truly beginning to detest owning an animal. I just don't see what they bring to the table, unless you need companionship. But that's why I have a wife. I don't need a dog.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I am increasingly becoming an anti-cat/anti-dog person. This sucks because I have a dog. I hope this doesn't make me a bad person. But I'm truly beginning to detest owning an animal. I just don't see what they bring to the table, unless you need companionship. But that's why I have a wife. I don't need a dog.
Dittos, except I'm not "anti" so much as I've done it and don't really need to do it again. I love my dog, but we have decided to not have more pets after she's gone.

I have my three boys and wife. That's more companionship then I'll ever need. ;)

TerraSapient

Cyburbian

lol I love my animals, I do, but having dogs in Hawaii is a chore. For me, dogs are not only a great companion, but they help keep me active. However, Hawaii is not dog friendly. Nearly all apartments do not allow dogs and those that do only allow dogs under 25 lbs (this trend is happening everywhere and is obnoxious - but Hawaii takes the cake). Most beaches prohibit dogs. Most parks prohibit dogs. There is way too much traffic to rollerblade together. I would never give up my dog, but our quality of life together out here has significantly diminished compared to what we could do together in Ohio.

I will never understand why nearly all the beaches and parks prohibit dogs. There are a handful of dog parks, but sometimes you just want to go to the park with your dog to spend time together, not so they can run around with other dogs.

In Hawaii, it is legal to raise a dog to slaughter and eat it, but illegal to take your dog to the park? Bunch of crap.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian

Well aside from the companionship thing, a dog is also good to motivate you to exercise everyday (particularly a bigger dog). I suck at motivating myself to do that (especially during the winter), but because I have a dog that I have to walk everyday and play with everyday, I know I'm at least getting a fair amount of cardio everyday.

In addition, I think the inner sap in people causes them to get dogs. As long as dogs are continually over-bred and there are sad puppy faces in shelters and on dog-rescue websites, people will continue to cave in and open their home to them.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
We love our doggies but after these two we might take a break for awhile.

In addition, I think the inner sap in people causes them to get dogs. As long as dogs are continually over-bred and there are sad puppy faces in shelters and on dog-rescue websites, people will continue to cave in and open their home to them.

And therein lies a huge problem. So people adopt the cute little puppy not fully realizing what it takes to be a committed dog owner. Then when puppy cuteness is gone the dog ends up neglected, tied to a tree in the backyard, or surrendered to the shelter because "we just don't have time for it", and ultimately euthanized because who wants to adopt an older dog when there are cute little puppies! Bleh, people suck.

imaplanner

Cyburbian

I could see this point of view. But my view is that my wife doesn't catch frisbee very well, and she doesn't chase away the missionaries or let potential intruders know that they will be bitten. Plus- sometimes she isn't up for a hike but my dog will always come along.

btrage

Cyburbian
I could see this point of view. But my view is that my wife doesn't catch frisbee very well, and she doesn't chase away the missionaries or let potential intruders know that they will be bitten. Plus- sometimes she isn't up for a hike but my dog will always come along.

Valid points.

I guess it just depends on one's lifestyle, needs and familial situation.

It does seem though that owning a dog (moreso than a cat) is part of "The American Dream". I think a lot of people own a dog because it just seems like the thing to do.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I think I might want to adjust my career so I either end up running a parks department or working in public health.

btrage

Cyburbian
I don't feel the need to "make the world a better place".

Similar to Terra, I really would just like to live on the beach, selling t-shirts to tourists, soaking up the sun and immersing myself in good books and good beer. I would become a writer.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I pulled a dirty sweater out of the hamper this morning because I didn't want to deal with thinking up an outfit.

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
I've always wanted to have a show on PBS or NPR where I could host discussions about astronomy and physics in layman's terms . I think everyone should spend at least 5 minutes of each day thinking about the Universe. I suspect if we realized how tiny and insignificant we all are, we might be less inclined to be such an odd species.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I've always wanted to have a show on PBS or NPR where I could host discussions about astronomy and physics in layman's terms . I think everyone should spend at least 5 minutes of each day thinking about the Universe. I suspect if we realized how tiny and insignificant we all are, we might be less inclined to be such an odd species.

[ot]Is it sheer coincidence you posted this 9 minutes :-c after I posted this or were you ramping up with a preamble before providing a layperson's explanation?[/ot]

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I hate having unclicked threads. Threads with new posts on them appear in bold and I compulsively click each thread open, even if only for a nanosecond, only to proceed to the next until all threads appear unbolded. Usually I click on the threads I find least interesting first, just to get them out of the way and then proceed in the inverse order of anticpated interest, saving the thread/post I most want to read until very last. Kinda like dessert, you know?

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
Here's a confession for you. I find some things so entertaining here that I am compelled to talk about them to non-cyburbians...like Mrs. ursus. Then the problem is that I have to refer to people's "handles".

ursus: Oh it was so funny, then this guy puts up this picture...

wife: Now, what's his name again?

ursus: Well, his name - well just CPSURaf put up the picture - but anyway...

wife: That doesn't make any sense.

ursus: Well, I'm sure it does to him, so anyway I'm thinking that Maister is going...

wife: Maister?

ursus: Yeah. Yeah, I think I'm saying that right.

wife: That's nice. And you call yourself - Ursula? Don't your friends think that's dumb?

btrage

Cyburbian
Although I sometimes complain about my daughters in other threads (what parent doesn't right?), a large part of me wanted to just have girls and not boys. My wife wanted one of each, but I really wanted 2 daughters.

I never did (nor do now) have the strong desire to "pass down my name" or "teach my son everything I know" or "get all geared up for sporting events" or "play catch in the backyard".

Granted, you can do all of these things with daughters (well maybe not the name thing) but I've always related better to girls/women.

Maybe I'm an oddity, but I'm glad I didn't have a son. Perhaps this will change as my girls become teenagers and if I have to pay for a wedding or 2. :D

otterpop

Cyburbian
My bank gave out cupcakes today. :)

. . .Maybe I'm an oddity, but I'm glad I didn't have a son. Perhaps this will change as my girls become teenagers and if I have to pay for a wedding or 2. :D

I sometimes wonder how my life would have been different if we had a daughter.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Here's a confession for you. I find some things so entertaining here that I am compelled to talk about them to non-cyburbians...like Mrs. ursus.

Oh, I do, too! :) Fortunately I don't have to explain the user names / avatars to my Prince, as he's had his own cyberfriends for years. And he's met at least two Cyburbians that I know of.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I keep getting a waft of something pretty nasty and I just realized it is my shoes. :-$ Combine this fact with my dirty sweater from earlier this week and I sound like quite the catch. :-$:h::-|:p

imaplanner

Cyburbian
I keep getting a waft of something pretty nasty and I just realized it is my shoes. :-$ Combine this fact with my dirty sweater from earlier this week and I sound like quite the catch. :-$:h::-|:p

Don't sell yourself short. You also have peanut butter all over your face ;)

btrage

Cyburbian
I'm so embarrased by all of you that I don't talk about you with anyone from the "real world".