• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Confession time, Part II

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've liked being "unemployed" for 6 weeks, sans the medical drama of course.

Rygor

Cyburbian
I hate having unclicked threads. Threads with new posts on them appear in bold and I compulsively click each thread open, even if only for a nanosecond, only to proceed to the next until all threads appear unbolded. Usually I click on the threads I find least interesting first, just to get them out of the way and then proceed in the inverse order of anticpated interest, saving the thread/post I most want to read until very last. Kinda like dessert, you know?
You are not alone. I have some mild OCD tendencies that manifest themselves in odd ways.

So I was at a Midwest ICSC event in Chicago on Thursday and Friday. Normally they are boring affairs where you learn about financing tools for retail developments and "hot new retailers entering the market", but I met a most awesome fellow ED'er, had drinks and a great time overall. Maybe being single again isn't so bad. Too bad she lives all the way in Minnesota. :(

otterpop

Cyburbian
My son is going on an overnight school event tonight.

Just me and the better half. Alone.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
My son is going on an overnight school event tonight.

Just me and the better half. Alone.
Having 1, 2, & 3 year old sons, my wife and I have years before this, but look forward to it with great anticipation.

otterpop

Cyburbian
in my house that means some oo-la-la time - have fun!

Evidence of how much we as a couple need this break - one of the first things I thought was: Great, an evening where I don't have to to help him with his homework.

And, yes, oo-la-la time is a top priority.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Sometimes I dream about having a manual labor job.

Sometimes I don't because I have been a -
pipefitter,
oilfield wireline rigger,
sanitatary sewer line maintenance (Classic TV reference - Norton), and
trail construction crew (did it as a volunteer)

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Sometimes it is just for fun.

I'm enjoying reading a romance novel about Elene, the beautiful orphaned daughter of a sugar planter, and her savior, Ryan - the handsome dashing privateer. They were brought together by rebellion but is passion or her perfume keeping them together?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
This is the second longest time I lived in the same place/own - 18 yrs. :not:

btrage

Cyburbian
Besides when I was in St. Louis, I've never traveled west of the Mississippi.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I wish I could spend my vacations engaging in whatever behavior my id desired but experience no consequences for it afterwards.

Don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon, but I'll let y'all know if it does.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I like beef jerky of all flavors. I will even eat Walmart brand.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
I wish I could spend my vacations engaging in whatever behavior my id desired but experience no consequences for it afterwards.

My confession. I don't think there is any behavior that I would ever even want to engage in that would result in a negative consequence. I think I'm a fun person, just play it safe, definately nothing illegal.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really want to eat a Mexican meal extravaganza that has about 500 carbs in it :-c

I have not gone public with my bun in the oven news to my wider circle of acquaintances and friends because I don't want to answer 1001 narrow minded questions that I know will just piss me off. So I've told you fine folks, family, and close friends in the area. And I am perfectly ok with that :)

I went to Sex Toy Bingo last night. Didn't win anything but it was a lot of fun :D

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I've caught myself several times inadvertently drinking burgundy-style wines from bordeaux-style glasses...and vice versa...but I never reported my faux pas to the appropriate authorities. :-$

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I just spent probably two hours reading this thread at work, because I am currently working on a supremely boring project and I just can’t get back to it… after all, I spent nearly an hour on it this morning… :not:

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
I don't think that I really work very hard. I really, really don't. :-$

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Honestly, 1/2 of our staff is incompetent as an entire entity.

btrage

Cyburbian
After we complete the purchase of our new house, a small percentage of me is ready to just walk away from our house in Grand Rapids. Even though we'd be able to afford both houses, I'm sick of basically lighting my money on fire every month when we make the house payment.

WhenIGrowUp

Cyburbian
Maybe I'm an oddity, but I'm glad I didn't have a son. Perhaps this will change as my girls become teenagers and if I have to pay for a wedding or 2. :D

I sometimes wonder how my life would have been different if we had a daughter.
We have two boys. I think that's preferable, because when they're old enough, with boys you only have to worry about one schlong; with girls you have to worry about all of them.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have two boys. I think that's preferable, because when they're old enough, with boys you only have to worry about one schlong; with girls you have to worry about all of them.

Yeah, but girls are a lot more forward and aggressive these days. You'll find out when they are blowing up the phone and Internets with IM and texting.

btrage

Cyburbian

I guess I don't get the crux of what you're saying. Are you saying it's OK for boys to have as much sex as they want? Or that it's OK for boys to have sex because they're not the ones getting pregnant? I hope you're sons never have an unplanned pregnancy.

DetroitPlanner

Cyburbian Emeritus
I've not been to a formal confession since the nuns made us all go in 9th grade. I am glad I have confessed that. Now to get to work saying my Hail Mary's!

otterpop

Cyburbian
I have a crush on an older guy friend. :-$

I recently changed which female coworker I have a crush on. I feel a little guilty about "dumping" the other one. But, on the other hand and being realistic and honest, neither would really care one way or the other. :D