• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Confessions time part IV

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Its 2020 and its been a while since we unburdened our souls, so lets hear your confessions.

I'll start:
I enjoyed certain aspects of quarantine so much so, I've gotten bit by the Retirement Bug. Quarantine gave me a taste of the good life. I dream of days when I can spend my time willingly in glorious isolation at home tending the vegetable garden, reading books and not having to interact with irritated people (unless I want to).

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We have a neighborhood pool... but I want my own pool. We were limited to two hours today to 'give everyone a chance to use it'. I don't want limitations on when I swim.

While my current gig is freaking awesome, I discovered my dream job. Its not open right now and will likely not open for decades. The trouble comes on when it does open. There is ZERO chance that the wife will want to move any further north than we are at right now... and this place gets snow.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
In principal, I fully support the idea of cyclists sharing the road with cars, but in practice seeing a cyclist hugging the edge of the lane causes my heart rate to increase as I pass.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Retirement kind of scares me -
No wife to travel with
No kids or grandkids to to visit/care for
No lawn/garden/house to take care of
Moving where ? & can I afford it ? health care ?
Don't golf or have a boat/ don't fish

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
My husband is 7 years away from retirement. He will retire at 62 and become our daughter's chaperone and chauffeur as she will be 15 years old. We found out that Social Security provides extra $ if you collect SS retirement and still have a minor child at home. Her high school years are going to suck lol.

I earn the lion's share of income and have 20 years left in the workforce so we will be fine. We already have a retirement home at the beach.

kms

Cyburbian
No wife to travel with
Well, I'd say to pick the items you can control and strike off the others. It might not feel as overwhelming.

Have you looked into joining a Meetup group? You don't need a smart phone for it. Joining a couple of Meetup groups changed my life, and I've made some good friends in the process. They're based on interest, and I'm sure you could find one or more that suit you.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Retirement for me is about 9 years and 4 months away. I'll probably bug mini WYP and any grandkids she might produce. I'll also do some some part time planning consulting on the side for diet coke and cookies money. With all the ordinances and other planning related documents I've written over years, it should be worth something.

Veloise

Cyburbian
No wife to travel with
If you wanted to change any of those situations, you'd have gotten to work on them. Just sayin'

MD Planner

Cyburbian
My plan is to retire at 60 so I've got about 9.7 years to go. I think I could probably swing it a few years earlier but I can't retire any earlier than 60 here because I don't have that much service. Those last two years might feature a few extended vacations. But who knows?

side note: I'm sensing a thread split is imminent.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
my confession is that though I love having my 27yo living with us during the pandemic pause, it's inconceivable to me that she is okay not working, even in a worldwide pandemic (which I keep reminding myself of...)

Doohickie

Cyburbian
In principal, I fully support the idea of cyclists sharing the road with cars, but in practice seeing a cyclist hugging the edge of the lane causes my heart rate to increase as I pass.
If there is ample room to pass, no problem with the cyclist riding to the right. If the lane is narrow, the cyclist really should be smack dab in the middle of the lane (so that motorists have to change lanes to pass).

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
my confession is that though I love having my 27yo living with us during the pandemic pause, it's inconceivable to me that she is okay not working, even in a worldwide pandemic (which I keep reminding myself of...)
Oof that has to be hard.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
A common design element on houses are shutters for their windows. However way too many times shutters are installed with no relationship to how they're actually supposed to function - real, functional, fake, design.

I found this excellent review:

True confession: I have some of those shutters on my house. The ones on the family room are the worst.

But honestly, the ones on the front elevation aren't that bad.

...are they?

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I am such an introvert that I am already dreading my book club zoom meeting scheduled for this evening.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
True confession: I have some of those shutters on my house. The ones on the family room are the worst.

But honestly, the ones on the front elevation aren't that bad.

...are they?
I probably would skip the short shutters on the side of the house. The front ones look fine. When we redo the siding on the beach house the shutters are going away because they are weird.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
sabbatical, lol

It's weird because she worked 3 jobs every summer when she was in college - I mean, she is using the time figuring things out for herself but mowing the lawn should be on her list too lol
I'd give her a list of things she has to do, but that's just me. She can mow the lawn, help with laundry, make 1 or 2 dinners a week, etc.

Veloise

Cyburbian
I'd give her a list of things she has to do, but that's just me. She can mow the lawn, help with laundry, make 1 or 2 dinners a week, etc.
Make a list of simple lifestyle improvements that she could do for you. Examples:

-- under sink shelving and sensible storage spaces (Dollar store baskets, white wire shelving from hardware store)
-- enhanced garden/flower beds
-- improved front or back porch (cleaning, washing the surfaces, freshening the annual containers)

I used to visit my folks (an hour away) and notice what needed doing. I'd procure the supplies and install them, generally when they were (predictably) out. My mother loved this, while pops was generally disagreeable but eventually came around. Examples:
--after 30 years, their metal mailbox out by the arterial roadway was falling apart. I picked up a vinyl one (it matched the neighbors' two) and installed it. Pops whined about "how hard" it was to open. I bought a metal drawer pull, drove over and installed it, drove home.
--the asphalt/concrete interface of the driveway and carport became deeply rutted. They left for a week. I brought over a bag of coldpatch and filled in the divots ... added another bag of cold patch once I'd used my car to smoosh it down.
They returned from their trip, and prepared for the bone-jarring "ooof!" as the car tires made the 3" elevation change. Surprised and pleased that this had changed.
--the architect who designed their house apparently didn't do the laundry at home. One bathroom had a built-in clothing chute that would cause a big pile of clothing to be dropped in the bottom, all around the laundry supplies. White wire shelving, cut to fit.

Confession:
Right now it is Sunday Afternoon and
I would like to re-boot Cyburbia's

The Sunday Afternoon Club
But I'm not bumping it up because I'm:worried:afraid
that not enough Cyburbians are interested
in that kind of thing anymore.
I realize that this fear of mine is silly,
and I'm a little annoyed at myself for having it.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I, too, did a 20 mile bike ride today.

First I changed the battery on my car.... it was exactly 4 years old and when I went to pick up dinner, it didn't start the car. I jump started it with my wife's car, resulting in a Check Engine light and a flashing Electronic Fuel Injection light :eek:. It drove okay though so I went to the auto parts store and got the new battery and dropped it in. Same result.

When I got home, I pulled the car in, shut it off, then turned it to the On position (but didn't start it), and let all the stuff initialize. Then I shut it off, and repeated that a few times. Then I started it and the flashing EFI light was off but the Check Engine Light remained. So disconnected the battery and left it that way for about 10 minutes, then connected it again and everything was cleared.

I'm trying once again to lose weight by counting calories on MyFitnesPal. It's worked for me before but I don't manage to keep the weight off. Two days in and I've managed to stick with it. When I realize I have to put every snack in, it serves as a disincentive to eat the snack.

MD Planner
What I'm about to ask you... I mean in a sweet way:
Which part of your confession is a confession?
I played pickleball and did a 20 mile bike ride today.
^This^ part is sort of the opposite of a confession!
You did a strenuous workout in hot, humid weather. You've maintained a good level of physical fitness.
In my book, this might give a person bragging rights.:trophy:

Just relaxing on the sofa and watching bad movies.
Well what are you supposed to do after a strenuous workout in the heat? You cool down and relax. Again, not really a confession.......

About to grill up some wings.
Is this your confession?
O MD Planner, is there something about those wings you're not telling us?

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I may have broken the printer. I mean broken, like BROKEN with bits of plastic not connected anymore.

(I did what I've always done when closing it but this time there was a huge crunch...

and I put it back together and walked away.)

A new printer is due to arrive any day now (and was ordered long before this one broke-broke).

Last edited:

kms

Cyburbian
I may have broken the printer. I mean broken, like BROKEN with bits of plastic not connected anymore.

(I did what I've always done when closing it but this time there was a huge crunch...

A new printer is due to arrive any day now (and was ordered long before this one broke-broke.
You didn't break it. The person who used it before you did, and walked away.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

A new printer is due to arrive any day now (and was ordered long before this one broke-broke.
Repeat after me: "it was like that when I got here." " it was like that when I got here." ….

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Blow to the ego. I was accepted to one grad program but was not accepted for the other. I have never not been accepted to a school to which I applied.

The only good thing is I think I have decided to go a different route instead so it doesn't really matter. But it still stings.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I don't think I'm as ambitious as I thought I was. I actually don't want a lot of responsibility in my job. Where I am now is great, but I know it will get stale for me one day and I don't see myself wanting to advance in our organization (I'm definitely more of a technical person and less of an organizational person, and I'm already at the highest level technical person position there), or likely wanting to go back to local government. So not sure what will be next...

18 more years until I meet my years of service for full retirement (as long as I stay in the state retirement system until then!) and then any work I do can be more of a hobby!

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I confess that I'm not sure anything I'm doing in my work will matter, even in 25-50 years' time.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I confess that I'm not sure anything I'm doing in my work will matter, even in 25-50 years' time.
Maybe so, but wouldn't the same be true of therapists, clergy, dentists, veterinarians and bartenders as well?

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
not true - I have seen past zoning and planning studies I did 10 or more years ago get dusted off by a subsequent planner and implemented - it's a very cool thing to happen - sometimes you are just ahead of your time is all!

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
not true - I have seen past zoning and planning studies I did 10 or more years ago get dusted off by a subsequent planner and implemented - it's a very cool thing to happen - sometimes you are just ahead of your time is all!
I was thinking more about climate change, climate migration and civil unrest- a darker place to go on a Wednesday morning than I usually go to.

I do think some things will be different/better because of the plans I work on.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
My good friend's daughter is heading off to Dallas to start her first job from college in Accounting and she asked me for advice and I said "there's no shame in working for the weekend" - I mean, 30 years of that might bring on some mental health issues and likely addictions, but as you are rising up from entry level, I think there's no harm in it

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I may tout "making breakfast for dinner" as a good example of 'mixing things up to keep it fresh', but I think most folks see through the real motives behind anyone making such a statement: a transparent attempt to camouflage laziness.

estromberg

Cyburbian
My good friend's daughter is heading off to Dallas to start her first job from college in Accounting and she asked me for advice and I said "there's no shame in working for the weekend" - I mean, 30 years of that might bring on some mental health issues and likely addictions, but as you are rising up from entry level, I think there's no harm in it
Exactly. Work to live. Not the reverse.