• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Confessions time part IV

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
not true - I have seen past zoning and planning studies I did 10 or more years ago get dusted off by a subsequent planner and implemented - it's a very cool thing to happen - sometimes you are just ahead of your time is all!
I confess I recently drove past a fast food establishment in a community I worked in years ago early in my career. I remember pushing hard to get the dumpster in its current location. Now I'm like WTF was I thinking?! :oops:

Salmissra

Cyburbian
My good friend's daughter is heading off to Dallas to start her first job from college in Accounting and she asked me for advice and I said "there's no shame in working for the weekend" - I mean, 30 years of that might bring on some mental health issues and likely addictions, but as you are rising up from entry level, I think there's no harm in it
Good advice.

Also, being in the Dallas area - where will she be working (location not company) and where will she live? I'm interested in knowing where people are moving to and what kind of commute they are willing to endure.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good advice.

Also, being in the Dallas area - where will she be working (location not company) and where will she live? I'm interested in knowing where people are moving to and what kind of commute they are willing to endure.
I don't remember what firm but I know she is in a downtown neighborhood in a 2 bedroom with a friend. I will find out as it would be nice for me to give her some local contact numbers if she needs anything. Are you in Dallas?

Salmissra

Cyburbian
^^ I'm in Irving, but have lived on the Dallas side of the DFW metroplex most of my life. I have family or friends in several of the Dallas suburbs.

Right now is an interesting time to move. Hope it goes smoothly!

Doohickie

Cyburbian
^^ I'm in Irving, but have lived on the Dallas side of the DFW metroplex most of my life. I have family or friends in several of the Dallas suburbs.

Right now is an interesting time to move. Hope it goes smoothly!
So basically you live somewhere about halfway between where I live in Fort Worth and my son lives in Plano.

estromberg

Cyburbian
and the consumption of maple syrup
We switched about a couple years ago to maple syrup away from the cheap stuff. Night and day.

My wife bought a Mickey Mouse waffle maker from the Disney store. It make 6 little Mickey heads at a time. It was like $70. At first, I was ayfkm? $70 for a waffle maker? After using it for a few months, it was worth EVERY penny. Being able to all eat waffles at once is a beautiful thing.