• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Confused "Set your spam filters to allow e-mail from cyburbia..."

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
From Dan:

:y > > > > > We are receiving an increasing number of bounced e-mail messages due to stronger spam filters used by many e-mail clients and providers. Please add to your white list of acceptable e-mail sources.

What is a white list?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Some spam filters use what's called a white list, where only e-mail from addresses on the white list is seen by the recipient; all other e-mail gets trashed, bounces, or is sent back to the recipient with a "challenge question" that only a human can answer.

For example: Joe is on your white list. Jane isn't. Joe sends you e-mail; it goes through. Jane sends you e-mail; it either ends up in the virtual bit bucket, bounced back to Jane, or automatically sent back to Jane with a question like "What is 1+2? Reply with the answer alone in the subject line to be added to the white list."

I've also been getting a lot of bouncing e-mail from Cyburbia users that have invalid e-mail addresses in their profile. People either register with bad addresses, and can't conform their registrations, or their e-mail addresses become invalid after they've registered; they've changed e-mail addresses or let their account on a free e-mail service go dormant. When a user with a bad e-mail address has private message, thread subscription or thread response notification turned on, the notification messages all bounce to me.

I cannot say this enough ... your e-mail address cannot be harvested by spambots on Cyburbia, unless you include it in a post. I don't sell e-mail addresses, or give them to third parties. I don't even give out e-mail addresses to Cyburbia users or others who ask; I'll write you first and ask if it's okay. The only people that can see e-mail addresses are moderators and administrators -- only when viewing a user's profile. They'll e-mail you only if it's very, very important.