• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Congrats to Belle!

This needed a separate thread.......

biscuit said:
I want to send a shout out and a big congrats to Cyburbanite, Clemson Tiger and fellow College of Cnowledge alum Belle for doing the sensible thing and eloping on June 10th. Best wishes for a happy future to you and the new Mr. Belle as you start your lives together.
Congrats Belle !! :-D

Cardinal

Cyburbian
You eloped? Great! That's the best way to do it (speaking as somebody who has never been married). Congratulations!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Congrats and Best Wishes.

from somebody who has never been married -
Q. why is eloping better then a traditional wedding other than time planning and money $,$$$ ?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
JNA said:
why is eloping better then a traditional wedding other than time planning and money $,$$$ ?
There is an adventurous aspect to it that appeals to some (like me). Plus, you get to avoid all those meddlesome relatives trying to control the wedding planning, guest list, etc.

Belle, congratulations and best wishes to you and Mr. B. Hope you have many happy years together! :)

Cardinal said:
You eloped? Great! That's the best way to do it (speaking as somebody who has never been married). Congratulations!
I completely agree (speaking as someone who did elope and has been married 19 1/2 years and generally considers my marriage to be a fabulous success, nevermind the upcoming divorce :-D --and I am completely serious :) ).

Congrats!

el Guapo

Capitalist
New Wife to Husband: All your base belong to us, no sex for you married boy!

Congratulations :)

Belle

Cyburbian
:) Thanks to everyone!

we "eloped" June 10 because our lives became too hectic for anything else. Neither of our mothers can travel (mine on the East coast, his in Colorado), so we figured it was better for no one to be there (incl. most of our friends, who are similarly geographically distributed), than for anyone to feel that they had been left out, so we eloped to the city we just moved from and were married at the federal courthouse. Most of our family/friends knew that we were doing it, and my family arranged a quicky reception the day we returned, complete with a wedding cake.

JNA said:
Q. why is eloping better then a traditional wedding other than time planning and money $,$$$ ?
Elopement=cost of marriage license ($70)
cost of rings ($450)
hotel for night ($120)
never having to shop for a bridesmaid's dress--priceless

Seriously, it's a busy summer (graduation, finding me a job, Mr. Belle starting a new job at a brand new store, moving, and dealing with my mother's health issues) and we just didn't have time to plan a wedding, but didn't want to keep postponing it.

JNA said:
Oh, sorry, I missed that question:

From my perspective, it is better because a marriage is a private and deep commitment between two people whose first concern should be each other. Worrying about what 1200 other people think/feel/want in YOUR private, personal relationship is potentially problematic. If the deep, personal commitment does not exist between the two people taking the vows, all the hoopla in the world is utterly meaningless.

For some folks, public marriages are wonderful -- a way to share the event with family and friends. But more than half of all marriages in America today end in divorce and most of the ones that do so end within a few years. In my opinion, people who date and have big weddings seem to be susceptible to the fantasy that a relationship is about sex and fun and partying -- and when kids and financial problems and other not-fun, responsibilities come along, they may bail rather than deal. A marriage is a serious commitment, wherein you commit yourself completely -- in sickness and in health, for richer or for poorer, etc. It is not a party. Or, if it is, you still have to clean up the mess after all the guests leave.

Marriage enriches the soul. It shelters the possibility of real love -- the kind which nourishes and heals and has nothing to do with chocolates, flowers, or valentine's day. It strengthens society by strengthening people. But it isn't a party. People who take it seriously to begin with and do not expect it to be a party and understand that the commitment is a very private one, such people seem to take the hard times more in stride and do not take the good times for granted.

So, again: Crograts to Belle and the Mr. for wisely making the commitment and not worrying so much about the hoopla. The commitment is the most important part. :)

ludes98

Cyburbian
Congrats! You only did what most people wish they were brave enough to do. Parents seem to be the ones that like elopement the least which is funny to me.