• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Conspiracy theories (revisited)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Original Threads: http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5134
http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=529

So what's the most stupid conspiracy theory you've ever heard?

I'll go for the 'The moon landings are fake' conspiracy theories...
Theory 1: Landings were faked and shot in the earth.
This theory claims that landings were faked, that landings did not take place on the moon, but on Earth.
Their "proofs": You can't see the stars on the photographs or videos. The flag is waiving. The friend of a friend of a neighbor's friend that is a friend of someone in the military told me that he saw a big box in the middle of the desert where they supposedly had their "set" and faked the shots. the cosmic rays would have killed them.
Theory 2: The US did land on the moon, but the shots were faked afterwards so the aliens wouldn't show on the images.

Reality check for Theory 1: You can't see the stars from the moon's sun illunimated surface, for the same reason that you can't see the stars on the daylight on Earth, it's called contrast! A major source of light(the sun) blocks the minor source of light(the stars). The flag waives, because the moon does have an atmosphere, like any major body in the universe. The moon's atmosphere is so thin and has so little presure that you can't breathe but it can make a flag waive. Now that's a great argument!. And the space suits are for...?

Reality check for theory 2: Go check under your bed for monsters or wait for the tooth fairy or santa claus. :)

el Guapo

Capitalist
Ones I have heard that seem slightly plausable to me:

LBJ had Kennedy killed.

Teddy really did let Mary Jane Kopeckne die because he was a self-centered ass worried about his political viability.

We have an alien spacecraft somewhere. My guess is alien teenagers out for a joy ride hopped up on space coke crashed.

A guy named Jesus was the son of God.

The CIA - NSA can listen to every electronic conversation on earth at once.

The French are a loving and forgiving people that wish others well.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
That the salary of every Boston Red Sox manager is secretly supplimented by George Steinbrenner to ensure the Yankees beat the Red Sox every single friggin year.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Collage and NFL football are rigged by the mob and/or Vegas.

Hundreds of players, referees, coaches and owners are "IN" on it, but none of them have ever spilled the beans on the whole plot to break the hearts of sports fans. Not one of the hundreds of people involved have ever confessed on thier death bead. Not one has been arrested or caught in an imperfect attempt to rig the game. Nobody has ever confessed the underhanded deed to a spouse, girlfriend etc....

Pretty damn good racket they got going! :)

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
A guy named Jesus was the son of God.
-Chalk one up for the Satanmister-

Here's my favorite one, if you pee on an electric fence you'll get shocked. Yeah right.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Rumpy Tuna said:
-Chalk one up for the Satanmister-

Here's my favorite one, if you pee on an electric fence you'll get shocked. Yeah right.
I'm willing to testify in court I did pee on said electric cattle fence and was indeed shocked, and mildly intrigued thereafter. Would that be Autoelectrica Stimulation?

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
I'm willing to testify in court I did pee on said electric cattle fence and was indeed shocked, and mildly intrigued thereafter. Would that be Autoelectrica Stimulation?
It sure would be. I'm going to play with the hair dryer in the tub later tonight.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
The AIDS conspiracy theory

Anyone remember the conspiracy theory about AIDS?
That theory that revolves around the story that AIDS is a virus designed by the US, to erradicate homosexuals....

They'll blame anything on the US man... Just like global warming, and what not... just scapegoats...

They aparently don't realize that the AIDS virus may even be older than the human race!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Re: The AIDS conspiracy theory

SkeLeton said:
Anyone remember the conspiracy theory about AIDS?
That theory that revolves around the story that AIDS is a virus designed by the US, to erradicate homosexuals....

They'll blame anything on the US man... Just like global warming, and what not... just scapegoats...

They aparently don't realize that the AIDS virus may even be older than the human race!
- I thought AIDS was developed from people screwing chimpanzees and and then transmitted from those people shaking hands with you. "Boat Drinks"

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
This flashed into my mind on the long drive back to Kansas City ...

What if ... the Coalition forces know where Osama bin Ladin and Saddam Hussein really are located, and they can capture them in minutes if they wanted. However , they allow bin Ladin and Hussein to remain at large, so they con continue the "War on Terror," and increase the likelihood of a GOP presidential victory in 2004.

Hmmm .....

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
And what about Urban legends?

Like, tapping to the side of a soda can will prevent it from foaming when you open it, or that the Chinese great wall is the only human made object visible from the moon, or the even more popular: "we only use 10% of our brains"

All of this and more available at : http://www.snopes.com/ :)

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
That the US and Israel caused 9/11 to give Bush a reason to go thump heads

Or that the Devil caused 9/11 to show his power

what the bleep ever