• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Converting agricultural silos to housing

B. Van Allen

I am interested in any info on converting a concrete silo to a multi-level (rural) residence, including known examples, references, etc. also, names of manufacturers of new silos to research design, specs, etc, would be helpful.

of special concern are the openings for entry and windows since most silos i've seen have hoops spaced closely enough to be a design problem.

anyway, any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

b.van allen - central new york / albany region

Chris Beatty

There is a project going on now near Bozeman, MT converting a grain elevator to a residence. These folks are also very interested in learning what has been done before. You can contact me for more info or I can forward stuff to them. I do not have their email address at this time.

Chris Beatty
ecopress@peak.org

Amanda Fuller

I am also interested in doing this and have poked around to see what I can find- I have heard (but not confirmed) that there is a B&B in Hazel Green, WI that has a silo converted to a living space- also a guy in San Jose: see www.metroactive.com/papers/los.gatos.weekly-times/03.08.00/cover-0010.html
I am particularly interested in single silo houses, not grain elevators like in Akron.

planasaurus

Cyburbian
There is a grain elevator historical society located in Montana, they have a web page (not sure what the URL is), when I e-mailed them they gave me lots of examples of grain elevator conversions - an indoor rock climbing wall, hotel in michigan, housing...