• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Architecture Cornell's new building is the bad kind of transparent

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
"Here, though, the interior transparency comes with a major tradeoff. The generous sightlines across the building make it easy to see through the levels—a feature that presents a modesty challenge for dress-wearing patrons (and double trouble for those in high heels)."

"The super see-through material, Tschapeller said, challenges the idea of the floor as most stable elements in architecture. When I told him that I could see clear up into the stacks at other students, he urged visitors to respect each other—no creeping permitted."

"Winter could turn this porosity into a dirty hazard. Slushy boots will have to be thoroughly de-crudded before entering to avoid spreading debris on other patrons (or worse, the expensive monographs)."
Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.

Setting aside the pervy part, the architect went to Cornell and knows how gross boots get in winter up there. What was he thinking?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.

Setting aside the pervy part, the architect went to Cornell and knows how gross boots get in winter up there. What was he thinking?
This screams to me about what is wrong with the creative mind. He says it challenges the floor as the most stable element. But it doesn't. Maybe do something like that in a demonstration building somewhere. Or a janitor closet. Not a public building.

I find this to be akin to marketing people telling me about the colors or symbols in this new logo they are promoting. Look, it is a blue bird going over a green sun. I don't think anyone is thinking about the first spring morning and original donut factory green when looking at the logo.

We as creative / design professionals, need to translate better creativity to words and design. We try really hard to be unique and different and new. Then again, that is probably why he won the bid to building the building. Because his idea was just weird enough.

Luca

Cyburbian
"challenges the floor as the most stable element"... such cretinous drivel! the bastard offspring of decades of 'art' blurbs (which must contain the words 'subvert', 'challenge', 'accepted idea' and 'notions of' always and everywhere.

Thanks for posting this item which will be filed at the very top of my confirmation bias file. :)

DVD

Cyburbian
Oooh I made the floor glass. I'm inventive! Except maybe all the glass floors in observation decks and kids who invented the floor is lava. That would have made a more interesting architectural concept.