• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Serious 😐 Coronavirus 2020 and 2021 Equalization Dates

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Instead of posting more old Wikipedia pages and charts and graphs in the Covid-19 thread, I thought it might be a better idea to start a new thread in which we can post one year anniversary marks of significant dates for Covid19 related events. I will be posting Wikipedia pages and old maps and charts as the anniversary of those dates approach. Covid-19 has been around so long now that it's sometimes hard to remember that for the first two months of 2020, many of us were blissfully unaware of how bad things were soon going to be, any we will not have that luxury for all of 2021.

You may have seen my post in the Covid-19 thread about the one year anniversary date of the very first Wikipedia entry on January 11. There was only one reported death and less than 60 reported infections. Well, just nine days later, there have been dramatic changes in what was going on worldwide. In fact, things were changing so fast that there were over 100 changes to that Wikipedia page on January 20th alone.

Wikipedia Page January 20, 2020

Some highlights:

222 infections and 3 reported deaths.

Covid reported in four counties: China, Japan, S Korea and Thailand

Cases were suspected as early as December 31.

The United States is mentioned on the page, but no reports of Covid yet (it would be reported elsewhere that the first report was on January 19)

Still, it would be several weeks before the true magnitude of Covid-19 would be fully realized. (I don't even remember how much news we were getting this early in the crisis). People all over the world will still doing their everyday things, blissfully unaware that what was going to be coming raining down on them n just over a month. It was a classic case of "The time just before". The stock market seemed sure unconcerned, In fact, the DOW would continue to break record highs for the next month.

How early do you remember hearing about Covid?

Timeline 2020-01-20.jpg

Wuhon Virus 2020-01-20.png

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
It was just about one year ago that the very first Covid-19 case was reported in the U. S. He returned to the Seattle, Washington area from China on January 15th and he was diagnosed around January 19th. The worldwide death count stood at 9 with about 440 infections, but was probably a lot higher. Even in the U.S., the virus had been probably swirling around the U.S. undetected for weeks. A local television picked up the story on January 21st

First Coronavirus Case

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Archived ABC News page, January 22, 2020. The First Impeachment Trial was dominating the headlines. You had to scroll down a bit to read these articles.

WHO weighs declaring new coronavirus international public health emergency

What we know about the new coronavirus fueling worldwide anxiety

WHO weighs declaring Health Emergency.jpg

Cororavirus 2021-01-22.jpg

From the New York Times. It looks like there were a total of 9 reported deaths to date.

As New Virus Spreads From China, Scientists See Grim Reminders

Cororavirus 2021-01-22a.jpg

Cororavirus 2021-01-22b.jpg

The BBC probably had the most comprehensive coverage that day.

Coronavirus: Chinese officials advise against travel to Wuhan

Cororavirus 2021-01-22c.jpg

Last edited:

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
January 25, 2020

Wikipedia made over 500 revisions on this day alone for the Coronavirus Pandemic Page. It seems that the page was being updated every 5 minutes.

Worldwide Confirmed Cases: 1441
Worldwide Confirmed Deaths: 42

U.S. Confirmed Cases: 2

U.S. Confirmed Deaths: 0

Cororavirus 2021-01-25 Case Chart.jpg

Top Stories

New Year celebrations muted as China Coronavirus Spreads to 4 Continents

Coronavirus Live Updates: China Suspends Tours Abroad as Xi Warns of ‘Grave Situation’

CNN News - January 25th

WHO Report for Coronavirus

New coronavirus appears ‘less serious’ than SARS, says French doctor

U.S. Reports 2nd Case of Coronavirus (see below)

Cororavirus 2021-01-25 U. S. Wiki.jpg

2020-01-25 Worldwide Map 1.jpg

2020-01-25 Worldwide Map 2a.jpg

CBS News - 2020-01-25 Chicago Case.jpg

2020-01-25 Staten Island Advance.jpg

Last edited:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

The Better Business Bureau is warning people not to post their Covid-19 vaccination cards on social media​

I have seen some posted on Facebook - bad.
Without being ugly about it, well duh. It's never good to post your personal medical information on line.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
February 3, 2020

Worldwide Confirmed Cases: 17386
Worldwide Confirmed Deaths: 362

U.S. Confirmed Cases: 11

2020-02-03 Confirmed Cases.jpg

Top Stories

Coronavirus: at least three cases among 4,000 break-02-03-20-intl-hnk/index.htmlpassengers on China-Vietnam cruise, doctor says

February 3 - CNN coronavirus news

CDC: 11 people in the U.S. have tested positive for coronavirus

To fight coronavirus spread, the U.S. may expand ‘social distancing’ measures. But it comes at a cost

Here is probably the earliest map of the U.S. showing which states got the first reported cases of coronavirus

2020-02-03 US Map.jpg

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian

Attachments

• 2020-02-07 Worldwide Map.jpg
    2020-02-07 Worldwide Map.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Super Amputee Cat-
You have no idea how much I appreciate your starting this thread and regularly updating it. Or rather, "You had no idea..." until I put some Likes to your posts.

Your Covid-19 timeline is one of the best fact-based, succinct timelines that I've seen. I wouldn't be surprised if this thread ends up with a small "following" of sorts.

(Edited out my typos later on->Took "Size=4" brackets out of the first line.)

Last edited:

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
February 16-17, 2020

Worldwide Confirmed Cases: 71449

Worldwide Confirmed Deaths: 1775

U.S. Confirmed Cases: 15

U.S. Confirmed Deaths: 0*

*No cases confirmed on February 17, but later reports would show that two had died by this date.

First U.S Wikipedia Page

Top stories:

CNN - Coronavirus News - February 17

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) Situation Report – #28

Amid Covid-19 panic, thieves make off with hundreds of rolls of toilet paper in Hong Kong

1st violent virus-related hate crime reported to U.K. police

2020-02-17 Timeline.jpg
2020-02-16 Confirmed Cases.png

Last edited:

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
February 24-25, 2020

Worldwide Confirmed Cases: 80428

Worldwide Confirmed Deaths: 2711

U.S. Confirmed Cases: 53

We are now reaching the point where we are seeing significant cases and deaths outside of China, with South Korea, Italy and Iran leading the way.

South Korea Confirmed Cases: 977
South Korea Confirmed Deaths: 10

Italy Confirmed Cases: 229
Italy Confirmed Deaths: 6

Iran Confirmed Cases: 61
Iran Confirmed Deaths: 12

2020-02-24 Iran Map.png

2020-02-26 Iran Map.png

Highlights

Italy reports 10 virus deaths as cases spike 45% in last day

Dow drops more than 800 points on CDC warnings of coronavirus spread in U.S.

C.D.C. Warns Americans to Brace for Likely Outbreak

Trump privately vents over coronavirus even as he publicly insists everything is fine

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) Situation Report – 36 - February 25, 2020

Market Fears Persist After Wall Street’s Worst Drop in 2 Years

2020-02-25 Worldwide Map 1.jpg

2020-02-24 Timeline US.jpg
2020-02-25 Timeline.jpg

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
March 1-2, 2020

There is now much variation in number of reported Coronavirus cases and deaths across the world depending on time of day the data or news story was posted. News was literally changing by the hour. E.G. Iran varies from 978 to 1500 on the same day. Also, the chart below only states there was 1 death in the U.S. but later reports up that to 2 and then 6.

Worldwide Confirmed Cases: 90000+
Worldwide Confirmed Deaths: 3000+

U.S. Confirmed Cases: 86

U.S. Confirmed Deaths: 6

South Korea Confirmed Cases: 4335

South Korea Confirmed Deaths: 31

Italy Confirmed Cases: 1694
Italy Confirmed Deaths: 34

Iran Confirmed Cases: 978-1501
Iran Confirmed Deaths: 66

2020-03-02 Chart.jpg

Top Stories

Coronavirus fears rise after two deaths in Washington state

Coronavirus kills 6 in Washington state - CBS Nightly News

Coronavirus May Have Spread in U.S. for Weeks, Gene Sequencing Suggests

March 2 coronavirus news - CNN

"The average American does not need to go out and buy a mask"
-Mike Pence

San Antonio declares emergency after CDC released a woman infected with coronavirus: ‘Totally unacceptable’

Pence On Coronavirus: 'Risk Remains Low,' Says Treatments On The Horizon

Trump again accuses Democrats of coronavirus "fear mongering"

Non-Coronavirus News

Pete Buttigieg drops out of Democratic race for White House

4 Takeaways From Joe Biden's Big Win In South Carolina

2020-03-02 North America.jpg
2020-03-02 102 U.S. Cases.jpg

2020-03-02 Cartoon.jpg

Last edited:

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
March 9-10, 2020

Worldwide Confirmed Cases: 118000+

Worldwide Confirmed Deaths: 4200+

U.S. Confirmed Cases: 808
U.S. Confirmed Deaths: 28

South Korea Confirmed Cases: 7513
South Korea Confirmed Deaths: 54

Italy Confirmed Cases: 10149

Italy Confirmed Deaths: 631

Iran Confirmed Cases: 8042
Iran Confirmed Deaths: 291

Highlights

U.S. coronavirus cases top 1,000

Coronavirus outbreak worsens in Italy and Japan, as situation stabilizes in China

Coronavirus Kills 2 in Washington State, U.S. Death Toll at 29

Italy Struggles to Cope with Coronavirus Lockdown

Cruise Ship With Infected Passengers Docks in Oakland

California universities are holding online classes because of coronavirus

Rewatching ‘Contagion’ Was Fun, Until It Wasn’t

Non-Coronavirus News

Kamala Harris endorses Joe Biden

Joe Biden Is No Longer Toast

2020-03-09 Worldwide Map 2 Johns Hopkins.png

2020-03-10 Worldwide Map 1.jpg
2020-03-10 U.S. Cases.jpg

2020-03-10 Article.jpg

2020-03-10 Timeline U.S..jpg

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
It was just about this time, a year ago, that it finally drove home what a devastating impact Covid19 would truly be.

Of course, it has slowly been snowballing for over a month, but Ohio did not even report it's first case until March 10. (Of course, like everywhere else it was swirling around for weeks undetected). But it was this weekend, that everything really changed.

Things were changing rapidly, just in a span of 48 hours. On Friday, March 13, 2020. I remember going to Kroger and a lot of stuff - like fresh fish, chicken, and ground beef was still there. On Saturday, March 14, I even went bowling with my daughter. But later that evening and certainly by Sunday, it finally settled in how bad things were going to get. I think Governor Dewine had announced a statewide lockdown by March 14. On the 15th I even went back to Kroger to get some more groceries, but all the fish, chicken and almost all the ground beef was gone, as well as milk, rice, and of course, paper towels and toilet paper. It was very surreal and stressful and I even make a voice recording about how much things had changed in just those 48 hours.

My brother was up from Georgia that weekend, and when he left on Monday, he stopped at a grocery store in Kentucky on the way. He told me later that things were still "normal" there, with no shortages on food or paper towels. But in Madison, WI, where my other brother lives, he told me the Costco was stripped bare with the check out aisles 15 carts deep.

But even then I think few imagined how long lasting and permanent those affects would be. You could still go into grocery stores without a mask in many places, and installing plexiglass was still a couple of weeks away. I remember saying into my voice recorder that this Pandemic could last all the way through summer.

Last edited:

jsk1983

Cyburbian
It was just about this time, a year ago, that it finally drove home what a devastating impact Covid19 would truly be.

Of course, it has slowly been snowballing for over a month, but Ohio did not even report it's first case until March 10. (Of course, like everywhere else it was swirling around for weeks undetected). But it was this weekend, that everything really changed.

Things were changing rapidly, just in a span of 48 hours. On Friday, February 13, 2020. I remember going to Kroger and a lot of stuff - like fresh fish, chicken, and ground beef was still there. On Saturday, February 14, I even went bowling with my daughter. But later that evening and certainly by Sunday, it finally settled in how bad things were going to get. I think Governor Dewine had announced a statewide lockdown by February 14. On the 15th I even went back to Kroger to get some more groceries, but all the fish, chicken and almost all the ground beef was gone, as well as milk, rice, and of course, paper towels and toilet paper. It was very surreal and stressful and I even make a voice recording about how much things had changed in just those 48 hours.

My brother was up from Georgia that weekend, and when he left on Monday, he stopped at a grocery store in Kentucky on the way. He told me later that things were still "normal" there, with no shortages on food or paper towels. But in Madison, WI, where my other brother lives, he told me the Costco was stripped bare with the check out aisles 15 carts deep.

But even then I think few imagined how long lasting and permanent those affects would be. You could still go into grocery stores without a mask in many places, and installing plexiglass was still a couple of weeks away. I remember saying into my voice recorder that this Pandemic could last all the way through summer.
By February you mean March right?

wintergirl

Cyburbian
23 March is the date that the UK was placed into lockdown for the first time. The country has announced a day of reflection and a doorstep vigil, with people asked to shine torches or phones into the sky at 8pm on that night:

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
March 18. 2020

Today was my first work from home day after mandatory shut down by the mayor.

Worldwide Confirmed Cases: 216000+
Worldwide Confirmed Deaths: 8900+

U.S. Confirmed Cases: 7769
U.S. Confirmed Deaths: 118

Top Countries for cases

1 China
2. Italy
3. Iran
4. Spain
5. Germany
6. France
7. South Korea
8. U. S.
9. Switzerland
10. UK

2020-03-18 Worldwide Map 2.jpg
2020-03-18 U.S. Map.jpg

2020-03-18 U. S. Chart.png

Top Stories

Trump signs coronavirus relief package into law

Coronavirus hits all 50 US states as death toll rises (You Tube)

The wave of coronavirus cases is shutting down Florida beaches

Will the coronavirus outbreak die off in summer?

Facebook is removing fake coronavirus news "quickly," COO Sheryl Sandberg says

Coronavirus: Iran told to take threat seriously as death toll passes 1,000

Non-Corona Related

Bernie Sanders reassesses campaign after Biden builds formidable lead

5.7-magnitude earthquake strikes Salt Lake City

2020-03-21 Economist.jpg

2020-03-18 Schools Closed.jpg

Last edited:

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Changes in reported infections for Ohio, March 10-23, 2020

I believe Ohio had it's first reported case around March 10 (though retroactively cases were here as early as late January). In just 12 days, the virus had spread to almost half the counties, mostly in the densely populated northeast and southwest. Many rural areas had no reported cases and this would continue into April.

However, it wouldn't be long before the rural counties, especially in the northwest and north central areas would see a huge spike in number of cases and deaths. By the summer, these areas would have the highest infection rates in the state with death rates to match.

I place the blame squarely on the lax mask and social distancing enforcement in these deeply red areas before Governor DeWine issued a statewide mask mandate later in the summer. At the end of May when I visited Mercer County in the north central part of the state, NOBODY was wearing a mask anywhere we went except the gas station employees.

2020-03-23 Ohio Cases.jpg

Attachments

• 2020-03-10 Ohio Cases.jpg
    2020-03-10 Ohio Cases.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2020-03-12 Ohio Cases.jpg
    2020-03-12 Ohio Cases.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2020-03-17 Ohio Cases.png
    2020-03-17 Ohio Cases.png
    159 KB · Views: 0
  • 2020-03-22 Ohio Cases.jpg