• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Coronavirus and other pandemics

AG74683

Cyburbian
He's probably a little gun-shy right now after he closed bars & restaurants, & then Lt. Gov. whined about it (to make it an election issue) last week.

He closed down barber, salons, sweepstakes and more this week (effective tonight), so maybe he has a plan to shut things down in steps.

He'll probably shut everything else down next week. Several locals are already dong it so its just a matter of time.
Still no word on a total shut down. Just about everyone I've talked to seems a little fed up with the fact that he hasn't mandated it statewide yet. I think his lack of action on this is likely to cost him the election, not the other way around.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Still no word on a total shut down. Just about everyone I've talked to seems a little fed up with the fact that he hasn't mandated it statewide yet. I think his lack of action on this is likely to cost him the election, not the other way around.
Our County goes into "Stay At Home" at 5, down in Charlotte, they are already there, and Durham County is announcing today.

On a side note, for those of you who are in a "Stay at Home" order, how are you handling code enforcement. Do you still have someone out doing inspections and sending violation notices or has it been suspended, or is it something else?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
My employer extended the "paid if you're working from home or unable to work" order to April 12. We still get full pay, but they want honest timesheets, understanding that we're probably not doing true 7.5 hour days.

Had a conversation with the town attorney yesterday. The town is in good financial shape. That brings a little bit of relief to my anxiety.

This is allergy shot day for me. I think the allergist is still open.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
On a side note, for those of you who are in a "Stay at Home" order, how are you handling code enforcement. Do you still have someone out doing inspections and sending violation notices or has it been suspended, or is it something else?
We are not being crazy with enforcement right now. Those that are putting up temporary signs and other things about being open and drive thru or pick up areas are getting ignored. They are feeling such pain right now, it is hard for me to force my code enforcement officer to put down the hammer on them.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My employer extended the "paid if you're working from home or unable to work" order to April 12. We still get full pay, but they want honest timesheets, understanding that we're probably not doing true 7.5 hour days.

This has made me wish my position was still one of the hourly ones in the department because (even though I find the time to post on here) I am probably working close to 10 hours a day lately so I could get some overtime. I work with both our workforce development and economic development and we are getting slammed with requests, especially now that we're working on grants for businesses to be able to weather through this storm. I've been averaging about 60 emails a day this week solely from random requests from businesses using our automated web system and that doesn't even account for internal requests from members of our team who are fielding requests from businesses they already have relationships with...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I just learned that he will be issuing an order.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, I am working from home. My husband got tested Wednesday afternoon. He has a bad chest cold and I made him call his doctor who made him come in immediately for the test.

We are supposed to hear in 3 to 5 days.

Protocol for me is to report it and I am home until we know he has it or not.

At our first emergency planning meeting at my city, when it was my turn to speak, I asked if we would prepare laptops and access to the server so people who needed to go home could still work. I was politely ignored and now we have only a few laptops. Luckily my husband has a laptop and he's not using it as he's not feeling well.

I feel like I started a tsunami as our secretary is working from home because she is nervous now and I hear others are too. Because all the residents are home too, we are now getting calls from abutters to projects - people that likely never paid attention to an abutter notice suddenly want to see projects.

I think the director is irritated which I get, so I am stressed out. So she has had to go into the server to get documents to send to the calls/emails. If I had access to the server, I could easily do all of it.

It's a little like leprosy-feeling. My friends have brought over some things I needed from the store which is so nice. They are left on my stoop and I wave.

and, I am so worried my husband does have it so I'm a little weepy and scared.

My husband is mad at me because he thinks I shouldn't have told my office. He also got mad I told a few of our friends.

and my MIL who lives with us is worried about who is going to make her lunch.

ugh

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Well, I am working from home. My husband got tested Wednesday afternoon. He has a bad chest cold and I made him call his doctor who made him come in immediately for the test.

At our first emergency planning meeting at my city, when it was my turn to speak, I asked if we would prepare laptops and access to the server so people who needed to go home could still work. I was politely ignored and now we have only a few laptops. Luckily my husband has a laptop and he's not using it as he's not feeling well.

I feel like I started a tsunami as our secretary is working from home because she is nervous now and I hear others are too. Because all the residents are home too, we are now getting calls from abutters to projects - people that likely never paid attention to an abutter notice suddenly want to see projects.

I think the director is irritated which I get, so I am stressed out. So she has had to go into the server to get documents to send to the calls/emails. If I had access to the server, I could easily do all of it.

It's a little like leprosy-feeling. My friends have brought over some things I needed from the store which is so nice. They are left on my stoop and I wave.

My husband is mad at me because he thinks I shouldn't have told my office. He also got mad I told a few of our friends.

ugh
I'm sorry lp, that sounds really hard. I'm glad your husband could get tested, but the long wait time really sucks. At least today is "Friday" so you can take a couple of days off from the work server stress, hopefully. Try not to worry about the director's irritation - you are doing what you are supposed to be doing, and what your work has enabled you to do, so there's no more you can do.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
More topical Bitmoji. Kind of sad that they have these.
1585330563494.png

1585330738523.png

1585330758622.png

1585330774618.png
1585330792545.png

1585330810990.png

1585330852640.png

1585330873808.png

1585331024417.png

kms

Cyburbian

ugh
I’m sorry this is all happening. I hope that Mr. lp tests negative. So many offices just aren’t prepared for this. Everyone is overwhelmed and stressed. Do you best to relax and not worry. Just make the sandwich. 😁

kms

Cyburbian
I’m back from my afternoon get away from the screen walk. All the on street parking places are full and traffic is moving through like it does on a regular week day. It must be Round 3 of panic shopping. The governor’s ordering our county to stay at home. I don’t know why people are stopping here, though. It’s after lunch and the only open businesses are restaurants and an auto parts store.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
One small but beneficial side effect. . . now that I'm working from home (instead of being a single-occupant vehicle traveler to/from work), I can claim my employer's TDM benefit and earn a little bit of extra vacation time.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
This was in the middle of the road this morning on my way in to work. Not sure what the universe is trying to tell me.
Post of the Day. Have some hand sanitizer and toilet paper. :tp::tp::sanitizer::sanitizer:

A few days ago, I tossed an empty container of Clorox wipes in the recycling bin. I'm not creative enough to think of a practical joke I could do with it.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Buffalo Evening News, October 28, 1918. This ad took balls the size of church bells.

dohn_pratt.jpg

Buffalo Evening News, December 4, 1918

backache.jpg

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We are implementing remote EOC starting today and everyone is video-conferencing through teams from home.

Our orders still allow for the construction of houses to continue and while we are suspending code enforcement for the time being, we have a couple of people flipping out that we are not going to tell their neighbors to mow the grass.

kms

Cyburbian
I rode my bike around town here for a little while. We don’t have a bike lane, so I used the empty parking spaces. 😊

Veloise

Cyburbian
Found a way to stay busy. Last Friday the idea of sewing face masks hit a bunch of people all at once, and very quickly a bunch of FB groups and websites got developed.

I'm an admin in a FB group where I add helpful advice and answer questions. (If I can keep hundreds of people happy and productive, that's worth my time much more than my own sewing.) My latest: I took photos of various household items to use as the nose wire, explained how to install.
IMG_20200324_095101386.jpg Stitched-Mask-Crafters URL.png turn time bragging.png

nosepiece collage.jpg

Last edited:

DavidG

Hi Everyone!

I'm the founder of Plan Together, a new website which allows citizens to collaboratively plan and discuss the future of their communities on a map.

The real goal is to make public engagement and consultation an easy, two-way process. Not only allowing citizens to voice their ideas, concerns and praises, but empowering city planners and officials to lead the conversation.

Due to the intensification of the COVID-19 pandemic over the past few days, we are providing free access to Plan Together’s Municipal Tools during this time to help with community engagement without public meetings. Please reach out if interested!

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Got to visit a bit with my dad over the weekend. He's in an active senior type facility, and they do not allow visitors inside, but he could come outside. So we sat in rocking chairs under their awning and talked for a while. We kept the chair between us empty. So far his place hasn't had any issues, but they've also been quick to respond to the situation. They aren't a nursing home, but they did a lockdown anyway. They don't have a lot of staff on hand at any given time, except in the kitchen for mealtimes. So they made some adjustments to foodservice. They banned gatherings, so dad doesn't have book club or poker night, but they revised exercise class to two sessions so they can spread out. No new residents and no facility tours until the all-clear is given.

I've been worried about him, but he's holding up better than expected. I think it helps that my sister overseas calls him a couple times a week, too.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Today my work attire includes a Durham Bulls hat, nasty work jeans, and a green t shirt. I'm really digging this whole "closed to the public" thing.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My mom is a retired pharmacist but works part time at a JoAnn Fabrics a couple mornings a week. The last day she worked was Monday or Tuesday a couple of weeks ago and she bought about $100 worth of clearance kids craft kits and mailed them to us. We've slowly been breaking them out for our kids over the past few days. Our dining room table and kitchen counters are just covered in craft stuff.

I will say that it seems like you can get a ton of crafts for $100.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Today my work attire includes a Durham Bulls hat, nasty work jeans, and a green t shirt. I'm really digging this whole "closed to the public" thing.
Camo cargo shorts and a black t shirt. Didn't shave this morning. WFH FTW!!1!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I'm working from home in tailored wool trousers, loafers, and an OCBD shirt. I did decide to skip the necktie today. It's a little chilly in the office kitchen today so I may add a tweed sportcoat or flannel blazer.

kms

Cyburbian
I’m dressing for work still. Now, I dress in jeans and shirts when I go to the office, but I’m not wearing grubby clothes while I work at home c

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I talked to a few friends/acquaintances over the weekend who are in health care including a doctor and an ICU nurse. They both said that if you have any concerns at all about possibly being infected DO NOT use ibuprofen or really any NSAID. Apparently there is a lot of evidence that it exacerbates symptoms with those who have COVID 19. They said if you're looking for pain relief right now avoid NSAIDs and particularly ibuprofen as that seems to be the worse. Tylenol is your best bet for now.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I’m dressing for work still. Now, I dress in jeans and shirts when I go to the office, but I’m not wearing grubby clothes while I work at home c
Normally I don't wear these for going out in public, but I'm planning on tearing more trucks apart this afternoon. I wore a nicer pair to do that last time and they got pretty nasty.

Reactions: kms

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Heard that a police detective has been tested positive.

The police work in a wing of the Civic Center. who did they come into contact with ?

Planit

Cyburbian
Trump is in the process of discovering that he can’t spin or tweet his way out of a pandemic.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Well, this is going to get scary. Wife was just informed to brush up on her ICU and Emergency Dept skills and cross training starts tomorrow.

The stay at home order is having mixed results. My neighbor had a house party on Saturday. They checked people's temps as they came to the house to make sure that no one had a fever. They kept it low key and while we were invited, we decided not to go. Another set of neighbors will not leave their house and refuse to speak to anyone in person. It sounds like they are just worried and they don't meet the definitions of high risk. They both work from home but have not come out of their house for anything in two weeks. If they can't get it with delivery, they don't get it. I talked with them online the other night and it sounds like everything is good, they just don't want to get sick.

Local big box home improvement stores were packed over the weekend since it was nice outside. They get to remain open because they are essential services, but I don't think that picking up wallpaper, mini-blinds, and tomato plants were what the county leaders were thinking when they classified them as such.

I have a feeling that they will start restricting the number of people that can go into a business and limiting the areas of the business they can go to. (Plumbing and electrical yes, garden center no..)

Right now, the number of positive cases doubles every 3 or so days.

Speaking with family over the weekend, a big box home improvement store out of Wisconsin got in trouble because they doubled the price of bleach and several other items that were in high demand. That was a very bad idea for a small town. People will boycott them without hesitation even after the government slaps them with a fine.

AG74683

Cyburbian
The NC state stay at home order doesn't go in to affect until 5 PM today. As you said, hardware stores (foolishly) are exempt from closing. Basically, Coopers order (and by extension every local order) are all completely and utterly worthless. No one is listening to them.

Frankly, what's needed is for the federal government to highjack every TV news feed and put a live video of NYC hospitals on there. Or the Italy videos, anything to get these idiots to understand how severe this is.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Access Restricted to Dare County - Outer Banks

As part of Dare County’s continued response to the COVID-19 pandemic, visitors and non-resident property owners are prohibited from entering Dare County.

even posted on NCDOT https://drivenc.gov/

MD Planner

Cyburbian
The home improvement stores here were jammed over the weekend as well. I get why they are essential. What if you have a plumbing leak? Or your water heater goes out? Or you have an electrical issue? Or there is a storm and a big limb punctures your roof. You need to be able to get what you need. But yes, buying shrubs and mulch and the like was probably not what they had in mind. I bought several gallons of paint about 2 weeks ago so if I do become virtually homebound I'll be able to work on some projects.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Does anyone know how NYS decides where the field hospitals go?
If they go by the amount of cases, shouldn't all the downstate counties be getting one? https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/county-county-breakdown-positive-cases

I know here (Detroit) the Army Corps of Engineers (working with FEMA and state health officials) is the one deciding where the field hospitals are going and I imagine a similar process is happening in other states.

While it would be ideal to put a field hospital in every county or community that needs one, that probably just isn't feasible based on the limited resources available - both personnel and equipment. They likely also want them to be located as close to major medical centers as possible too so that they can share those resources if needed or the field hospitals can refer their patients to the major medical center (or vice versa) if needed.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Candidates for 2020 Phrases of the Year:
  • Social distancing
  • Flatten the curve
  • Community spread
  • Personal protective equipment
  • N95
  • Stay-at-home order
  • Ventilator
My little county of 100,000 is up to 73 confirmed cases. Zero deaths. Two hospitalized.

The one hospital in the county has 16 ICU beds, a fairly low number of ICU beds/population compared to the USA as a whole. The hospital dismissed all the traveling staff, because things are "quiet" -- no elective surgery, very low room occupancy, little activity in the ER. It's the calm before the storm. Hospitals upstate would be overwhelmed if downstate patients are relocated here. How would they care for locals?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Candidates for 2020 Phrases of the Year:

• Social distancing
  • Flatten the curve
  • Community spread
  • Personal protective equipment
  • N95
  • Stay-at-home order
  • Ventilator
Newly common acronym(s):
  • WFH (work from home)

Bubba

Cyburbian
Local big box home improvement stores were packed over the weekend since it was nice outside. They get to remain open because they are essential services, but I don't think that picking up wallpaper, mini-blinds, and tomato plants were what the county leaders were thinking when they classified them as such.
That's a side effect of the virus for us uninfected folks stuck at home for the duration - tackling home and yard improvements that we normally wouldn't deal with or even think of. Mrs. Bubba and I are going to work on a landscaping project over the next couple of weeks that I guarn-damn-tee we never would have noticed a need for during normal times.

Planit

Cyburbian
I avoided stores this weekend thinking they were going to be jammed. Nice weather + Stay-at-home order

Been sitting on the front porch almost every evening and watching a lot more people walking (with & without dogs) and one woman carrying her cat with her.

Our parks are open, but all playground equipment is closed.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Southeast Michigan is sort of exploding as a hotspot for infections. We've got about 1,400 cases here in my county and 50 some deaths. Wayne County next door has about 3,200 cases and 80+ deaths as of the last reporting.

_________

We haven't been to a store in some time (it's been 3 weeks since I've had my hair cut, that's now the longest I've gone since 1997!). Like others, I'm planning to do some yard work during this time. It's supposed to warm up a bit later this week so I'm going to remove all the rocks from the flower beds and then trim everything back, rake stuff out, turn over the old mulch, etc. I'll have to see if I can get a few yards of fresh mulch delivered... I haven't mulched the beds in a few years now.

Planit

Cyburbian
The Girl has been doing "Remote Learning" through the high school for 2 weeks. She actually enjoying it to a degree (both learning & something to do). Last night we received this message from her school:
Spring Break will still take place for our students and staff beginning next Friday. There will be no school for students or staff Friday April 10th through Friday April 17th. Remote learning will pick back up on Monday April 20th after spring break.

Her reaction was "Are You Kidding Me?!?!" She said "We're just getting the knack of this. Now they're going to take it away for a week. I'll be so bored! I'm already bored!"

I gave her a list of activities - all relating to getting ready for college stuff she's kinda put off due to activities, since there are no activities (soccer, dance, band) right now. She looked at me, rolled her eyes and just sighed. BTW - they are out of school until May.