• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Coronavirus and other pandemics

Veloise

Cyburbian
Oh, nothing builds trust like something along these lines...

newspaper article:
[hospital] officials said they’ve received thousands of the homemade masks already.
“Thousands of homemade masks have been donated, which is a wonderful reflection on our skillful and conscientious citizens,” officials with the hospital system said in a statement.
“We also are grateful to have received more than 319,000 clinically equivalent masks from companies and institutions in our region. This generosity allows us to keep the homemade masks in ready reserve and we are sharing some with our community partners.”

I quickly conferred with my fellow admins, and we changed the name of the group. No longer called "Stitching Masks for [hospital]"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Another hospital had the unmitigated gall to post this. Just a few miles away from the Detroit Medical Center and a 900-bed field hospital set up in the convention center (nee Cobo Hall) downtown. I found their original post and ... er ... offered some advice.

laundry bag BS.jpg

Reactions: Dan

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Oh, nothing builds trust like something along these lines...

newspaper article:
[hospital] officials said they’ve received thousands of the homemade masks already.
“Thousands of homemade masks have been donated, which is a wonderful reflection on our skillful and conscientious citizens,” officials with the hospital system said in a statement.
“We also are grateful to have received more than 319,000 clinically equivalent masks from companies and institutions in our region. This generosity allows us to keep the homemade masks in ready reserve and we are sharing some with our community partners.”

I quickly conferred with my fellow admins, and we changed the name of the group. No longer called "Stitching Masks for [hospital]"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Another hospital had the unmitigated gall to post this. Just a few miles away from the Detroit Medical Center and a 900-bed field hospital set up in the convention center (nee Cobo Hall) downtown. I found their original post and ... er ... offered some advice.

View attachment 48151
The ones with the pockets are terrific. Unfortunately, my wife's hospital has received a bunch that don't have the pockets and they are unable to use them for their purposes, but it sounds like if the CDC recommends that we all start wearing masks, the home made ones would work.

I have been keeping my N-99 woodworking dust mask in my work bag. I gave it to my wife, but she said that it was too big for her and suggested that I keep it since I am classified as high-risk.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I have an N95 mask here at my office. It was something I bought to strip paint months ago. Probably worth money around here now.

DVD

Cyburbian
City manager is asking department heads to consider up to a 25% cut in budget. We're not implementing it, just trying to be prepared for everything. Great :r:
Our budget is mostly sales tax driven. Our department is mostly permit driven with little general fund use.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
City manager is asking department heads to consider up to a 25% cut in budget. We're not implementing it, just trying to be prepared for everything. Great :r:
Our budget is mostly sales tax driven. Our department is mostly permit driven with little general fund use.
Keep those permits processed quickly and keep them coming in. Got to keep the revenue flowing.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Admin for a couple of mask-maker groups. One volunteer proudly showed off a stack of masks where she's added embroidery to indicate which side is the front. A religious symbol.
I tried to explain to her why that wouldn't be optimal in many settings, and it went into the weeds when she asked what IMHO, YMMV, and FWIW meant.
That got me wondering what design a sick patient would least like to see used on the face mask of an attending health care worker. The banjo-bagpipes-accordion trifecta?

This print was easily searched.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Daaaayum. That would be cruel and unusual punishment in Michigan. (I have a soft spot for the University of Michigan -- I was accepted there for undergrad, and I regret not going there.)

For my town, I think this would go over really well. :r:

trump_2020.jpg

I wish I had a sewing machine and some elastic. Portuguese Water Dogs! Awwwwwwwwwwwww!

6063560-trotting-portuguese-water-dogs-paw-prints-a-black-by-rusticcorgi.jpg

For the geography geeks.

Topographic_Map_-Seamless_-_Black.jpg

For the NUMTOTs.

5602822-subway-map-by-trizzuto.jpg

For the urban planning subredditors.

6549706-black-white-dutch-cargo-bikes-kids-by-landpenguin.jpg

5330233-new-york-city-apartment-brownstone-water-tank-architecture-mint-by-littlesmilemakers.jpg

For those who want to see the manager.

7698390-wheres-my-fucking-wine-by-cynthiafrenette.jpg

602748-live-love-laugh-by-valentinaharper.jpg

For Cyburbians.

Mug_of_beer_-_dark_blue_-_LAD19.jpg

Veloise

Cyburbian
Daaaayum. That would be cruel and unusual punishment in Michigan. (I have a soft spot for the University of Michigan -- I was accepted there for undergrad, and I regret not going there.) For my town, I think this would go over really well. :r:

View attachment 48152
If my HCW presented wearing this, I would extubate myself and run like hell. Or jump out the window, maybe.

fringe

Cyburbian
Resort and scenic counties north of ATL are siccing their deputies on out of county vehicles and directing them to turn around. I'm told FLA border has checkpoints.