• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Coronavirus and other pandemics

Planit

Cyburbian
Just made the connection - the last day of school was in March & was Friday the 13th (at least here).

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Announced city pools will be closed this summer.

Last edited:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Canceling our summer rentals of our home - a few stragglers not wanting to cancel hoping the 14 day quarantine for out of state travelers will be lifted -

honestly, not to go all Under the Dome, but I am nervous about all the visitors that are coming anyway and/or have second homes and just go stay there - our numbers have shown little community spread and that is going to spike big time when people start coming - I was okay with everything until this past week and now I am more uptight/depressed about it now

DVD

Cyburbian
We lifted the ban. Front page of the paper has a big crowd at some pseudo trendy restaurant. Not wearing masks of course. There was also a request at a popular bar across town for a party of 100. The bar, that can handle that kind of crowd, said no.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Have you seen the projection graphs from University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME)

Scary numbers.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Have you seen the projection graphs from University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME)

Scary numbers.
Am I reading this incorrectly? It looks encouraging to me. What am I missing?

Reactions: kms

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Canceling our summer rentals of our home - a few stragglers not wanting to cancel hoping the 14 day quarantine for out of state travelers will be lifted -

honestly, not to go all Under the Dome, but I am nervous about all the visitors that are coming anyway and/or have second homes and just go stay there - our numbers have shown little community spread and that is going to spike big time when people start coming - I was okay with everything until this past week and now I am more uptight/depressed about it now
I wonder about that as well here in Michigan. Most of the cases here have been in Metro Detroit and to a lesser extent the Flint, Lansing, Kalamazoo, and Grand Rapids areas but as we start getting nicer weather people are going to start migrating to their summer homes and cottages Up North and we could see a spike in new cases in communities like Traverse City, Petoskey, Charlevoix, Houghton Lake, etc. and I doubt those communities have the resources (i.e. hospital beds) to handle a big influx if it should come to that.

This weekend when we drove out to my parents house we saw the electronic billboards on the interstates reminding travelers that international travel between the US and Canada is restricted to essential personnel only. I knew that was the case but seeing it up on the billboards like that did seem sort of ominous.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
should have said that total number is scary while the others are showing promise.
Who knows how accurate these are? Originally they were saying it would peak in mid May now they keep pushing it back...

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I wonder about that as well here in Michigan.
The hospitals in northern lower MI literally don't have the bed capacity (at least as of about 3 weeks ago) to handle all the possible downstaters coming to their vacation/second homes. At least one of the main hospitals in the Traverse Bay area technically serves ~10 surrounding counties (and a couple of them are in the UP).

The downstaters need to stay down state.

Last edited:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
The hospitals in Northern lower MI literally don't have the bed capacity (at least about 3 weeks ago) to handle all the possible downstaters coming to their vacation/second homes. At least one of the main hospitals in the Traverse Bay area technically serves, ~10 surrounding counties (and a couple of them are in the UP).

The downstaters need to stay down state.
That's our issue - we have 3 ICU beds for an island of 10,000 people year round and usually 3.5 million visitors a year - even if we only get a third of people coming, that's still more than we can handle if we get a proportionate spike in cases

AG74683

Cyburbian
Announced city pools will be closed this summer.
All of our "private" public pools (within neighborhoods, clubs, etc.) are submitting their applications. The 3 towns that have pools here have not submitted anything. I suspect that means they won't be opening them this year.

The town I live in cancelled their big 4th of July festival this year. I guess it's been held every year since 1976. It's all kind of a shame because this is the first year in a very long time where a lot of major party holidays fall on the weekend.

Planit

Cyburbian
Thought about heading to FLA to see Mom over the Memorial Day week.

Family decision not to go with 2 main factors:
1) Still a little uneasy about traveling to other regions right now
2) It will be crowded because its Memorial Day & beaches are open - which takes us back to item #1

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
An engineer we do a lot of business with is sick and was tested for COVID-19 on Monday. Awaiting test results. He’s a super nice guy with a big family, so we’re all pulling for him. Getting the disease, potentially, that close makes it more real. And that’s not fun.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Apparently the swab test for the 'rona is not very pleasant at all. Ugh.

We have cancelled our 4th of July event. We talked about just having a drive in for the fireworks but you know people will get out of cars and then start hanging with other people and then you've got a crowd all of a sudden. And we look like total jerks if the PD tries to disperse them. So save the money and come back bigger and better next year.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Apparently the swab test for the 'rona is not very pleasant at all. Ugh.

We have cancelled our 4th of July event. We talked about just having a drive in for the fireworks but you know people will get out of cars and then start hanging with other people and then you've got a crowd all of a sudden. And we look like total jerks if the PD tries to disperse them. So save the money and come back bigger and better next year.
Do you remember getting swabbed for strep throat? Imagine that, except instead of the swab going in your mouth to the back of your throat, it goes into your nostril to the nasopharyx (basically the back of the throat where the nasal passage connects to the airway). That has GOT to suck. Like, I hurt just thinking about it.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
All of our "private" public pools (within neighborhoods, clubs, etc.) are submitting their applications. The 3 towns that have pools here have not submitted anything. I suspect that means they won't be opening them this year.
We were thinking of getting a membership at the local swim club that a lot of my daughter's classmates go to this year but I don't think it's going to be open so that's not an issue. There are 4 private swim clubs in the area and I have a feeling that all of them except one will be closed this summer.

A lot of the cities that have community pools in the area have announced they are staying closed this season. Our parks department at the county operates two big waterparks and they announced last week that they will not be opening this season either (that's a shame because they are really good parks and we try to go a couple times a summer, plus they usually do a few free days for county employees and their families).

DVD

Cyburbian
My city is offering free tests at the local fairgrounds for employees only. I'm considering getting a test, but that only tells me at that moment I don't have it. It does nothing for the future and I don't think it tells me if I had it in the past.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
My city is offering free tests at the local fairgrounds for employees only. I'm considering getting a test, but that only tells me at that moment I don't have it. It does nothing for the future and I don't think it tells me if I had it in the past.
I don't see any value in doing that unless you have symptoms or think you may have been exposed.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
I don't see any value in doing that unless you have symptoms or think you may have been exposed.
I'll I'm sure they do it in hygienic manner as possible, I'm not sure I'd be enthusiastic about going somewhere where so many infected people have been.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
the value in it might be a follow up antibody test for people that test negative because then they can track who had it

Planit

Cyburbian
City cancelled our big downtown fall event in October.
Concerts in the downtown amphitheatre are still scheduled from July, August & Sept right now. These are smaller events than the one in October.

A private event held in August is supposedly still going to happen, but there's no confirmation either way on that yet.

DVD

Cyburbian
Yeah, I think I'll avoid the test. I haven't been exposed that I know of, I have no symptoms and I not big on going places sick people have been. The person getting the test will have been the closest I've knowingly come to the virus. No thanks. Besides, there is someone else who probably needs that test more than me.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I had sinus surgery a while back, so I built up some tolerance towards nasal probing and prodding. We're getting the test tomorrow morning. I'll take pictures.

That's our issue - we have 3 ICU beds for an island of 10,000 people year round and usually 3.5 million visitors a year - even if we only get a third of people coming, that's still more than we can handle if we get a proportionate spike in cases
We were going to go to California in August. With LA staying lcoked down until the end of July, though, we're probably going to delay that trip for a while. We were thinking of the Adirondacks as an alternative, but local officials there are now discouraging visitors. There's very, very few hospital beds in the region. Canada will probably still be closed, but even if it was open, Montreal is a hot spot, and I doubt there'll be much to do in Ottawa.

When you live in a wekend/summer vacation destination year round, and you've been working from home for nearly two months, a staycation is the last thing I want to do.

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
Thought about heading to FLA to see Mom over the Memorial Day week.

Family decision not to go with 2 main factors:
1) Still a little uneasy about traveling to other regions right now
2) It will be crowded because its Memorial Day & beaches are open - which takes us back to item #1
Can you avoid the beaches? (I'm not a huge beach person, so it's not a big feature of my trips to FL.)

Reminded me that my mom intends to share her thoughts about a plan about reopening the pools at her development's condo board meeting this week. Curious about the response it'll get.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
We lifted the ban. Front page of the paper has a big crowd at some pseudo trendy restaurant. Not wearing masks of course. There was also a request at a popular bar across town for a party of 100. The bar, that can handle that kind of crowd, said no.
Arizona needs to play it safe so that I can take the kiddos to see my parents and sister & sister-in-law sometime this summer and not fear child custody retribution from my ex. Think of me Arizona! o_O

I also really want to take the kids camping this summer so I hope that is feasible. I've accepted that a couple of big events in August & September that we bought tickets for a long time ago are not going to happen (although we haven't heard officially, yet).

The higher-ed facilities near me are already declaring that they will be primarily online-only for the fall semester. I really wish I knew what the local schools are going to do for the fall, but I know they are still figuring everything out and doing the best they can. Honestly, I kind of wish that the students could go back "half time" with in-person classes 2-3 days/week and the other days at home. Dealing with homeschooling isn't always fun but I would rather do that than deal with the morning and evening grind 5 days/week, it makes me tired just thinking about it.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Am I reading this incorrectly? It looks encouraging to me. What am I missing?
I was thinking the same thing. I think those show we are going in the right direction.

I will be interested to see what happens with the numbers in Wisconsin after the State's Supreme Court overturned the Governors Stay at home order. There has been a lot of speculation regarding what happens if you open up too soon, and I think that some of it is 100% warranted and some is just playing it safe, which is not a bad thing.

I am also curious if there have been direct correlations between hospitalizations or deaths because of the protests in various states. I know that the local protests have indicated that multiple people did get it and recovered, but I cannot find any data if those cases translated directly or indirectly to hospitalizations.

The scary part of this is not what is going on right now, but what does it look like next year and the following years. I have seen a few different articles that have indicated that this might become a seasonal thing like the flu, where it adapts and changes from year to year, and even if they are able to get a vaccine for COVID-19, it might not work for COVID-20, or COVID-21. Even with the flu, they are making estimated guesses regarding the details of the strain when they make the vaccine, and while I think they get it close enough most of the time, it sounds like COVID is a bit more complicated as evidence of what we are dealing with right now. Which raises the biggest question of socialization in the future. Do we continue to do what we are doing indefinitely with social distancing, working (and schooling) at home as a permanent new normal, will it be some weird hybrid like Demolition Man were we don't make physical contact with each other for anything, or something else.

Personally, I think that we really study what happens in places like WI, those to defy the stay at home orders and open regardless if the situation, and those who thumbed their nose at reality and protested without PPE or social distancing and see what happens. I think people will without question catch it, but will it result in hospitalizations or deaths?

DVD

Cyburbian
Sorry Terra, Tempe residents have gone stupid. Enjoy the pics. I will say for those that don't know, Tempe is our college TND, but still part of the metro blob.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The local COVID-19 test site is in the parking lot of a shopping mall. It opens at 10:00 AM, we arrived at about 9:15 AM, and there were about 20 cars in front of us. A few minutes later, there were about 20 cars behind us. The drive-through testing involved three stops:

* Initial check-in - asked for our names, registration number, and given basic instructions. We wre asked if we have any symptoms, and got a sheet of instructions with "ASYMPTOMATIC" at the top. There was a low-power radio station playing all the COVID-19 information hits, all the time.

* Second check in - drove to a tent, where workers took photos of our licenses and insurance cards.

* Third stop - this is the tent where shit got real. Workers were wearing serious PPE, as if we were driving into a checkpoint near Chernobyl. Names checked again. One long swab, swirled deep for 10 seconds in one nostril, 10 seconds in the other. It was uncomfortable in a kind of tickling way, but not painful. Another long swab, in the back of the throat, for about five seconds. Free little bottles of water.

We'll get a call in four to seven days.

When we left, the line of vehicles waiting to check in was two cars wide, and backed up about a third of a mile (500 meters).

Our region in NYS has a Phase 1 reopening tomorrow. According to state government, that means retail curbside pickup, construction, manufacturing, and some wholesale trade, all with social distancing in effect.

Last edited:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Judgement Call

Tues May 26 is when employees go back into City Hall
Monday June 15 is when City Hall is open to the public

On entry for both - temp. screening & have to have face mask.

But for me - being over 60 with underlying med condition - when would you go back ?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Judgement Call

Tues May 26 is when employees go back into City Hall
Monday June 15 is when City Hall is open to the public

On entry for both - temp. screening & have to have face mask.

But for me - being over 60 with underlying med condition - when would you go back ?
We are not putting staff back in the building until the re-opening on the 15th of June, together with the health checks you mentioned. The Governor's plan indicates people should still work from home if possible, so I guess it would depend on your supervisors. We haven't determined what our plan for employees with underlying conditions is, which includes me and my admin, as of yet.

It's come to this: I purchased a professional grade trimmer from Amazon and had my daughter cut my hair. I use a zero guide, so it isn't difficult to make it look decent. She did a great job, and the trimmers will pay for themselves in another 5 months! Bonus: no more being force-fed Fox Spews in my old barber shop. :D

HomerJ

Cyburbian
State plans to reopen here were put into effect May 1st, so far not much of a notable difference in terms of new cases happening here at a local level (although with the long incubation periods perhaps that is about to change :/). We're still getting new cases announced every day, but not at an alarming rate (it's certainly enough to keep me from going anywhere other than a park and curbside pickups). Local stay home orders, which have had to contort themselves around the state orders, are set to be lifted May 19th. Some staff will start returning next week and starting June 1st a larger pool of staff will start to return to the office. A lot of people, myself included, have indicated being more productive working from home vs at the office, so it seems pretty likely a number of us will simply continue to work remotely further into June and perhaps for a much longer period.

I'm sure this is raising all kinds of questions about liabilities, long term commercial real estate decisions, whether or not a permanent remote work policy will be adopted and how it could possibly be applied fairly across departments with very different work functions. It seems like some senior level staff are still suspicious that people working remotely are not actually working, but all that has done is open a whole can of worms about how productive things really were before people started working from home.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The CNN videos showing open bars in Wisconsin could just as well have been shot in some blue collar neighborhood in Buffalo. Substitute walleye in Wisconsin for haddock in Buffalo.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
The CNN videos showing open bars in Wisconsin could just as well have been shot in some blue collar neighborhood in Buffalo. Substitute walleye in Wisconsin for haddock in Buffalo.

I always thought Milwaukee was an awful lot like Buffalo. Even the housing stock is pretty similar.

Reactions: Dan

Doohickie

Cyburbian

Scary numbers.
This has been my go-to. I've followed Texas numbers vary in the model from a projection of 1200 deaths in the state to 900 to 1600 to 3600 to 2400 and now back up to 3100.

For a while I thought Governor Abbott might take a reasonable middle-of-the-road to dealing with it, but he's opening up more than I think is warranted *while we're still in the high infection period" while not requiring things like masks and stuff, and it doesn't matter because nobody is following the rules anyway. So here we sit with a projection of 3092.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Is he really that F'ing Stupid

"When you test, you have a case. When you test, you find something is wrong with people. If we didn't do any testing we would have very few cases."

Planit

Cyburbian
Is he really that F'ing Stupid
Yes, but there is truth to that statement. HOWEVER, how do you describe the 85,000 deaths?

If you have no deaths, then there wouldn't be any deaths. Sounds like a John Madden call on the play - If the receiver had caught the ball in the end zone, then it would have been a touchdown.

DVD

Cyburbian
Looks like ALOT of vaping going on there.
(or is that a disinfecting spray cloud)
Them's called misters. This sounds weird to you east coasters, but when you live in a dry place you actual try to add moisture to the air and it makes you feel better. Thinking I need some around casa DVDs patio and pool. Now open during the pandemic. The rest of youz can use the public pool.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
4th of july fireworks cancelled - crowd safety issue.
Same here but it doesn't go far enough. They need to keep places that sell fireworks shut down for the entire summer statewide. Otherwise there will be a run on fireworks and assholes and lowlifes will be lighting off M-80s till 3:00 AM every night all the way from June 27 to July 15th.

In this Pandemic that last thing we need is more excessive noise. It's already bad enough with all the crotch rockets, pickup trucks and general speeders.