• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Coronavirus and other pandemics

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Same here but it doesn't go far enough. They need to keep places that sell fireworks shut down for the entire summer statewide. Otherwise there will be a run on fireworks and assholes and lowlifes will be lighting off M-80s till 3:00 AM every night all the way from June 27 to July 15th.

In this Pandemic that last thing we need is more excessive noise. It's already bad enough with all the crotch rockets, pickup trucks and general speeders.
Been that way in Illinois for a long time, oddly doesn't really stop anyone.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Same here but it doesn't go far enough. They need to keep places that sell fireworks shut down for the entire summer statewide. Otherwise there will be a run on fireworks and assholes and lowlifes will be lighting off M-80s till 3:00 AM every night all the way from June 27 to July 15th.

In this Pandemic that last thing we need is more excessive noise. It's already bad enough with all the crotch rockets, pickup trucks and general speeders.
I live in the middle of the Central City one block off a one-way pair. I have always said the drag racing crotch rockets was the worst thing about living here but this year the a-holes are even worse.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I’m one lot from an important north/south Minor Arterial. The crotch rocketeers are out of their minds. I’m waiting the day one of them splatters like a bug on the windshield of someone pulling out from one of the side streets. It won’t be pretty - some of these guys have to be going 80 mph, maybe more.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I'm one block off of Interstate 20. Yeah, I hear the crotch rockets but I don't worry about them making life messy in my neighborhood; they freeway is below grade here; it's pretty well contained. Knock yourselves out, kids.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Back to pandemic: Last night I was not feeling well. I was very achy and wondering if the Covid got me. At first I thought I simply tweaked a muscle mowing the lawn but it seemed to be more painful than that. I checked my temperature several times throughout the evening and it came back normal each time. I slept on the couch, thinking, if I wake up feeling even worse I should probably start quarantining from my family. I woke this morning feeling wonderful. So maybe I did just pull a muscle and I'm overly paranoid.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
I’m one lot from an important north/south Minor Arterial. The crotch rocketeers are out of their minds. I’m waiting the day one of them splatters like a bug on the windshield of someone pulling out from one of the side streets. It won’t be pretty - some of these guys have to be going 80 mph, maybe more.
Little boys and their big toys :(

My part of town is under siege from assholes in crotch rockets, who race up and down my street at all hours of the day, every day. The problem is, the road, which was full of potholes for many years was paved last year and ever since they are using it as a mile long race track. It's got exponentially worse with the pandemic.

These are the kind of lowlifes that you hope die from the Coronavirus...slowly. I'd also take burn in a fiery wreck but it almost never happens. But when it does I always say "Good. One less scumbag"

DVD

Cyburbian
I resemble those remarks, but I never raced on the streets. That's what the track is for or on occasion the freeway, but never a neighborhood.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
We're working through the efforts of our restaurants reopening with outdoor dining and 50% capacity indoor starting this Thursday.

It'll be interesting to see how this week and next week go. Right now there's nothing as we're in the midst of heavy rain.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Thankfully the street in front of our house is only 24 feet wide with parking on both sides. Traffic has no choice but to crawl (there are usually many more cars parked on both sides).

TOFB's Street

And here is the speedway one block away Just one Harley in the pic

TOFB International Dragstrip

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
What a Cluster F -

They announced early voting will be open in the Civic Center on Monday 26th.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
NEW CANADIAN STUDY SAYS MARIJUANA MAY PREVENT THE CORONAVIRUS

If peer-reviewed and more research is actually done on the subject, the study could be performed in the form of mouth wash, gargle, inhalants or gel caps,

michaelskis

Cyburbian
The Gov of Michigan announced that 2 of the districts in the state will open on the 22nd. These include the Traverse City region and all of the Upper Peninsula. These are also two of the biggest Tourism areas and the open area will be just in time for the Memorial Day weekend.

Do you think that her decision was driven on the economics of Tourism or do you think it is because of the data, showing that a few of the counties in the UP are still COVID free?

Down here in NC, it is still one state without districts and the State Orders apply everywhere. There is some discussion that Phase 2 of the plan might start on Friday at 5PM but it is going to be on the collective data for the entire state, regardless of the number or percentage of cases.

How is the reopening plans in your state structured?

Planit

Cyburbian
I think that if you can do regional openings (in the case of Michigan) with data driven information, then it should. The issue is the migration of people from "hit" areas into "non-hit" areas. There needs to be a huge safety net of precautions … but its similar to going from NC to SC beaches because they're open.

I went to BigLots today to buy dog food. A majority of people were not wearing masks. I asked a lady in line behind me without a mask to back off (not in those words, I was polite for a change) & the cashier had a mask around her chin.

TOFB

Cyburbian
City just announced pools closed all summer. I feel bad for the Parks Director who will probably get doxed worse than I did two years ago for shutting down the soup kitchen that had no working toilets or hot water, for starters.

DVD

Cyburbian
The gov in AZ basically just lifted the restrictions. There are still a few like self serve buffet style can't reopen. I'm seeing mixed results. On the one hand local bars are just opening with no real precautions. On the other hand some restaurants refuse to open beyond take out until they've got better direction. I'm seeing more people going out or working. We'll see how this ends up.

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
waves from downstate NY Everything's still pretty much closed here. We're got 4 of the 7 benchmarks towards re-opening. I ventured out to Home Depot (in NJ) today to pick up an online order. Had to wait in line to enter and if you didn't have a mask you didn't get into the store.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
What are your thoughts on the trend of Governors being overruled when it comes to churches? I also know that several City and County prosecutors have indicated that they contacted law enforcement agencies to inform the that they will not be prosecuting any churches for holding indoor services.

The church that I attend will continue to do online services for the foreseeable future.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I don't understand those rulings. Any of those orders do not single out churches but rather large gatherings so they are being treated the same and not held to some higher standard. What's the difference between a concert and a church service? If it's a first amendment issue for the churches then it's also one for other types of assembly. I view it as political pandering and cowardice; so nothing really new.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I don't understand those rulings. Any of those orders do not single out churches but rather large gatherings so they are being treated the same and not held to some higher standard. What's the difference between a concert and a church service? If it's a first amendment issue for the churches then it's also one for other types of assembly. I view it as political pandering and cowardice; so nothing really new.
Churches are always going to be political and given priority. I would argue the non-profit loophole that hospitals and churches receive is likely the largest scam in history, but people seem to be okay with that. I would imagine those people also are okay with churches being able to meet even though other groups cannot. It isn't about law or fairness, it is about what they want, and when.

AG74683

Cyburbian
What are your thoughts on the trend of Governors being overruled when it comes to churches? I also know that several City and County prosecutors have indicated that they contacted law enforcement agencies to inform the that they will not be prosecuting any churches for holding indoor services.

The church that I attend will continue to do online services for the foreseeable future.
It was foolish for any order to include churches. I mean they shouldn't be exempt from the order, but everyone knows they're going to get special treatment as they always do, so what's the point? Any attorney advising a governor should have seen this coming a mile away and just kept churches completely out of it. They are the greatest scam in America and get away with whatever they want.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
So according to a press release that our office sent out, the county will be open for business beginning next Tuesday... but the public came only come in by appointment only... and some people will still be teleworking. Of course, there has been no actual direction from administration to the actual employees other than the vague press release that I found out about from a local reporter friend who texted me. The best I could get out of my supervisor is that they are still planning on bringing people back into the office in phases but who and when is anybody's guess. :r:

I plan to keep working from my kitchen counter until I hear otherwise.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
so we have to write up what we want for when the office is open (I am in the office btw so not sure we ever closed)

I think I am going to say:

• continue zoom meetings with applicants and departments
  • continue zoom meetings for board/commission/committees
  • Lysol/Cholox wipes to wipe down the conference room after use
  • no more than 4 people in the conference room (currently can hold 8) and everyone wears a mask (not happening now)
  • don't need to wear a mask in your office but in the hallways, yes

AG74683

Cyburbian
Captain of the Rescue Squad has COVID now. A deputy who's also on Rescue Squad probably has it. One of the women on the fire department found out that her fiances mother has tested positive (and found out after spending the weekend with her). So I've definitely been exposed.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Captain of the Rescue Squad has COVID now. A deputy who's also on Rescue Squad probably has it. One of the women on the fire department found out that her fiances mother has tested positive (and found out after spending the weekend with her). So I've definitely been exposed.
can you get tested again or isolate for 2 weeks or? i am so sorry this is happening to you

AG74683

Cyburbian
can you get tested again or isolate for 2 weeks or? i am so sorry this is happening to you
I've never been tested, and have no plans to unless I'm directly told to by the Health Department. It's all hearsay at this point anyway. No real proof, just the rumor around town. They did cancel our meeting last night out of caution though. I really need to remember to wear the stupid mask whenever I go out on calls though. I always forget it.

EDIT* HR sent out another round of "reminder" emails yesterday. I suspected something happened to prompt that. Turns out, the Register of Deeds has been "exposed" so she's been told to go home for a while. If the Sheriff deputy has it, there's a chance me and the other firefighter that works for the county may also be told to beat it.

Last edited:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Had a Dentist appt (cleaning) this morning -
waiting room - half as many chairs & spread out
on check in forehead temp taken & Virus questionnaire
Hygienist had full face shield & mask
she had me rinse with Listerine before working on me

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I was thinking the same thing. I think those show we are going in the right direction.

I will be interested to see what happens with the numbers in Wisconsin after the State's Supreme Court overturned the Governors Stay at home order. There has been a lot of speculation regarding what happens if you open up too soon, and I think that some of it is 100% warranted and some is just playing it safe, which is not a bad thing.

I am also curious if there have been direct correlations between hospitalizations or deaths because of the protests in various states. I know that the local protests have indicated that multiple people did get it and recovered, but I cannot find any data if those cases translated directly or indirectly to hospitalizations.

The scary part of this is not what is going on right now, but what does it look like next year and the following years. I have seen a few different articles that have indicated that this might become a seasonal thing like the flu, where it adapts and changes from year to year, and even if they are able to get a vaccine for COVID-19, it might not work for COVID-20, or COVID-21. Even with the flu, they are making estimated guesses regarding the details of the strain when they make the vaccine, and while I think they get it close enough most of the time, it sounds like COVID is a bit more complicated as evidence of what we are dealing with right now. Which raises the biggest question of socialization in the future. Do we continue to do what we are doing indefinitely with social distancing, working (and schooling) at home as a permanent new normal, will it be some weird hybrid like Demolition Man were we don't make physical contact with each other for anything, or something else.

Personally, I think that we really study what happens in places like WI, those to defy the stay at home orders and open regardless if the situation, and those who thumbed their nose at reality and protested without PPE or social distancing and see what happens. I think people will without question catch it, but will it result in hospitalizations or deaths?
According to several news channels, places that have opened up have not seen the spike in cases that many were worried about. It will be interesting to see what data trends take place over the next month as more stuff is expected to open in the next few days.

What are your thoughts? Do you think we will see massive spikes when things open or do you think the worst is behind us and we don’t need to stay closed as long as we maintain social distancing?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
“It seemed kind of weird to me,” said retired Brig. Gen. J. Roy Robinson, president of the National Guard Association, the advocacy group for Guard members. “It’s a Wednesday. And it also coincides with 89 days of deployment for any soldiers who went on federal status at the beginning. I was getting all kind of calls about it and I said, ‘It’s probably just a coincidence.’ But in the back of my mind, I know better. They’re screwing the National Guard members out of the status they should have.”

Sure, why not just screw people out of what they deserve, because you want to save money and not give it to the people on the front lines?

And yet, you want to open the world up, so we can all make money? I would hope a lot of National Guard members see this for what it is... a President who isn't interested in their well being, or their ability to support their families.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I've never been tested, and have no plans to unless I'm directly told to by the Health Department. It's all hearsay at this point anyway. No real proof, just the rumor around town. They did cancel our meeting last night out of caution though. I really need to remember to wear the stupid mask whenever I go out on calls though. I always forget it.

EDIT* HR sent out another round of "reminder" emails yesterday. I suspected something happened to prompt that. Turns out, the Register of Deeds has been "exposed" so she's been told to go home for a while. If the Sheriff deputy has it, there's a chance me and the other firefighter that works for the county may also be told to beat it.
I'm a bit confused by your stance. In my City, our first responders are automatically tested if they are known to have been exposed to someone diagnosed with COVID. As a first responder yourself, why would you ignore that information and perhaps unknowingly pass it on to others? I ask because in many of these threads you have talked about your employer not taking the pandemic seriously enough and now that you've been exposed you have no plans to be tested.

Last edited:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Isn't this a variation of the

The tragedy of the commons is a situation in a shared-resource system (community/office wide health) where individual users, acting independently according to their own self-interest, behave contrary to the common good of all users by depleting or spoiling the shared resource through their collective action. (not wearing a mask & not honoring the separation distance, maybe even going as far as not being tested)

how would the the Prisoner's Dilemma work for following individual safety (mask, separation, & testing) & contracting ?

DVD

Cyburbian
Went to the restaurant for some take out and some lady standing next to me wearing a mask around her neck was telling me all about how she couldn't get sick because god will protect her. I could only tell her I like to help god out once in a while, pointing to my mask. It's one less thing for him to worry about. She didn't get the hint. I was also disappointed when she sat down to eat at the restaurant and couldn't be bothered to take her hat off at the table. Does anyone still do that other than me?

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
It was foolish for any order to include churches. I mean they shouldn't be exempt from the order, but everyone knows they're going to get special treatment as they always do, so what's the point? Any attorney advising a governor should have seen this coming a mile away and just kept churches completely out of it. They are the greatest scam in America and get away with whatever they want.
This begs a question about synagogues, mosques, and other (non-Christian) houses of worship. Have you seen the same standards applied to enforcement of them during this?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Went to the restaurant for some take out and some lady standing next to me wearing a mask around her neck was telling me all about how she couldn't get sick because god will protect her. I could only tell her I like to help god out once in a while, pointing to my mask. It's one less thing for him to worry about. She didn't get the hint. I was also disappointed when she sat down to eat at the restaurant and couldn't be bothered to take her hat off at the table. Does anyone still do that other than me?
If I'm wearing one, my hat comes off immediately when I enter most buildings.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I was also disappointed when she sat down to eat at the restaurant and couldn't be bothered to take her hat off at the table. Does anyone still do that other than me?
That's men, and here in Texas cowboy hats and baseball caps are exempt. Ladies are allowed to keep hats on indoors.

Are you, by chance, ex-military?

DVD

Cyburbian
Cowboy hats are specifically not exempt. A cowboy should have been taught better manners by his momma who let him grow up to be one. Baseball caps, wearing them inside is one thing, but at a dinner table I just think the person looks like a slob. Granted I'm not much better.

FYI, I was taught these manners before I joined the military and Arizona tends to follow the same rules as Texas, we just look better doing it. :p

Bubba

Cyburbian
Cowboy hats are specifically not exempt. A cowboy should have been taught better manners by his momma who let him grow up to be one. Baseball caps, wearing them inside is one thing, but at a dinner table I just think the person looks like a slob. Granted I'm not much better.
My late grandmother would resurrect herself and snatch me bald-headed if I ever sat down at the dinner table wearing a hat.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We've finally got some (very vague) guidance on returning to our office from our manager. In our department, it seemed to boil down to if you want to come in to the office, go ahead, but if you want to keep working from home feel free to do that.

For those of us that do choose (or need) to go into the office, we now have to fill out a questionnaire about potential exposure before coming in, wear a mask when entering and in common areas, and everybody will enter the building through the same area and have our temperatures checked. Our building will still be closed to the general public.

Unless told otherwise, I'm going to keep working from home 100% for at least the next few weeks and then start going in on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, to help get a little bit more structure back.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
We just received information on Phase 1 of reopening our Agency for business. Here are a few highlights.

The initial reopening phase is prefaced on the premise that telework will continue to be the predominant strategy to limit physical staff-to-staff interactions and potential exposure to the virus. Caretaking responsibilities and personal health considerations further support a continued telework environment. Only those employees with a business need to be in the office, request to work in the office and have Program Director approval to return to the campus will do so during the initial reopening phase.

Occupancy to the campus will be limited consistent with applicable federal, state, and local guidelines. No visitors will be permitted unless otherwise approved by the Executive Director. Public meetings and Board/Committee meetings will continue to be conducted remotely utilizing available technology.

Employees must not gather or loiter in common areas. Breakrooms are available for individual usage and should not be used for congregating. Employees who are physically able will utilize the stairs. There's a line in the document about no more than 2 people in an elevator at a time; however, there's a sign on the elevator that says maximum 4 people.

Guidelines and recommendations for subsequent phase(s) will be developed by the Committee when, in the view of executive management, potential effects of COVID-19 on business operations warrant relaxed or strengthened practices. Any changes to guidelines or business practices will be communicated to employees with as much advance notice as practicable but not less than two weeks prior to implementation.

So basically, I'm WFH for a while longer. I am not asking my Director for approval to come into the office every day.

Planit

Cyburbian
Phase 2 in NC starts Friday @ 5:00 pm. Restaurants, but not bars, can open at 50% capacity among others.

Linked below are EO141, EO141 FAQs, and additional guidance for various categories of businesses and activities (restaurants, places of worship and religious services, large venues, retail businesses, personal care businesses, public pools and spas, tattoo businesses, day camps, overnight camps, and child care facilities).

EO141: https://files.nc.gov/governor/documents/files/EO141-Phase-2.pdf

EO141 FAQs: https://files.nc.gov/governor/documents/files/Phase-2-FAQ.pdf

EO141 additional guidance for various businesses: https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/guidance#phase-2-easing-of-restrictions