• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Coronavirus and other pandemics

Doohickie

Cyburbian
So I ate out in a restaurant for the first time since March. I had lunch at a little Mexican place near my house that opened just a few months before the pandemic hit. Staff all wore masks. Customers, obviously, not so much, especially while they ate. There was ample spacing between tables though; I was easily 10 feet or more from the nearest customer.

The torta was delicious.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
From RTDNTOTO:
Youtube -
This is how the National Guard came to dance the Macarena

Most National Guardspeople were not wearing protective masks while they were doing the Macarena!
It is possible to dance it while wearing a mask , even when it's hot outside.
(Really, need I teach 'em how?)

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
The one in Buffalo is a hotel now. Or at least part of it.
I've been to it, right around the time it opened with a grad school friend who lives nearby. It was pretty nice, except for the carpet, which reminded me of multicolored vomit.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Well, great.
The organizer of my HS prom gig (postponed from March) called to ask about June 27. Plan is to have it outdoors.

I think I need to talk to a state epidemiologist.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went to a socially distant barbecue last night for our friend's daughter. They had their yard filled with tables that were 6 feet apart and each family that came had their own table and we just talked a little louder with each other - it was weird but it was good to see everyone.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
^ We had 4 last Wednesday. We're at 1,007 deaths total in the county. During our peak in mid-April, we were averaging about 30 deaths a day for the 7 day average, yesterday we were at 2 deaths for the 7 day average. As of today, we are at 1 death a day on the 7 day average. I don't have the stats handy for the neighboring county that was a real epicenter nationally, but the last I saw they've experienced a similar decline.

We've definitely flattened the curve here.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
First day back in the office in T minus 1:11. Really feeling anxious about it.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Does anyone have a good source for masks that are at least somewhat tolerable outside in the heat? I'm going on vacation and a few of the places are requiring masks. I can deal with most of them inside but something light and cool for outside is a different story. Any suggestions?

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I've gone out to eat a few times since restrictions lifted and the protocol seems to be that customers wear masks until they sit down at the table, and restaurant employees wear masks the whole time. Went to Islands Burger yesterday and they have you scan QR codes to see the menu, and to pay, which is pretty neat, so you don't have to touch sticky menus. They also made a point of spraying down the table and seats before they sat us.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I've gone out to eat a few times since restrictions lifted and the protocol seems to be that customers wear masks until they sit down at the table, and restaurant employees wear masks the whole time. Went to Islands Burger yesterday and they have you scan QR codes to see the menu, and to pay, which is pretty neat, so you don't have to touch sticky menus. They also made a point of spraying down the table and seats before they sat us.
We haven't dined out yet, but we do have a dinner reservation for next Friday at an old favorite of ours. We had actually been using the restaurant group that owns this one as our barometer on when to try eating out again - they completely shut down at the beginning of the restrictions, finally reopened two of their three restaurants for delivery and takeout a couple of weeks ago, and are starting dinner only dine-in at those same two tonight. It's by reservation only, with curbside check-in (park, call the restaurant, and they'll call you back when your table is ready) and a host of other precautions that exceed the current state guidelines.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
My wife found out a coworker tested positive for COVID last Friday. I insisted that she go home from work immediately (I'm still pissed that her employer didn't make that mandatory for everyone anyway) and as luck would have it, she wasn't feeling well over the weekend. She got tested Saturday and we're still waiting on the results. Late last night she got a text that another co-worker she interacts with regularly has it, so now she is a nervous wreck thinking she got it and has already spread it to me (although up to this point I don't really have any symptoms). We have our infant son at home with us and my wife's mother has been his full time daycare, but because she is older and has underlying health conditions we don't want to risk potentially exposing her too.

That means all of this past weekend I have been with the baby, washing bottles, cooking meals, feeding and letting the dogs out, basically taking care of everything in the house while my wife self-quarantines. I've been wearing a mask around the house and constantly washing my hands. I of course have to take today off work, and if it turns out my wife tests positive I'm going to have to go in immediately and get tested as well, and because I can't risk exposure to her whole family I'll have to take my son with me since no one else can watch him. I really don't know how well we're going to manage if it turns out we both have it.

I know it's not productive to be angry at people for leaving their homes, but between all of the news about memorial day weekend and now the protests, I just feel ready to throw up my arms and give up on people entirely. Global pandemic of epic proportions and you just had to go out and get drinks at the bar? It's really so necessary for so many office workers to go back in instead of continuing to work remotely (which has been working fine for most people with the exception of managers who don't trust their employees)? How about all of those wishful warm weather predictions? Boy did a lot of people seem confident this would all blow over soon. I sympathize with the protests and understand telling people not to participate isn't helpful at all. The message used to be that we needed to slow the spread in order to protect those around us, but now people are taking a personal risk assessment as to whether or not they feel it is worth participating. What are we going to tell ourselves 2 weeks from now if this thing takes another massive spike and dramatically increases the infection/fatality count while further tanking the economy?

I have tried and tried for all of these months to avoid exposure and it may all have been a waste of time. To the people who can't even be bothered to wear a mask, I don't even have words..

Last edited:

AG74683

Cyburbian
We had a local woman here go into pre-mature labor due to COVID complications. From what I understand, COVID-19 has caused some pregnant women to suffer from placental abruption, which I guess was the cause for the pre-mature birth here. I think it was around 23 weeks. Unfortunately the child passed away over the weekend.

Planit

Cyburbian
We had a local woman here go into pre-mature labor due to COVID complications. From what I understand, COVID-19 has caused some pregnant women to suffer from placental abruption, which I guess was the cause for the pre-mature birth here. I think it was around 23 weeks. Unfortunately the child passed away over the weekend.
Need to ask dandy about this and what she might have seen.

We have a restaurant owner here that keeps saying that the data is skewed because there's more testing, hence more people with it. I told him to not worry about that, but look at the deaths and they have risen too, so............???

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Hubby has been told that they will be returning to the office the first full week of July (right after the 4th). So far no info on how they will social distance, possible staggered shifts, rearrangement of desks for distance, etc. Since they fired/laid off several people on his floor, it should be easier to get some space between desks. What about masks? Any news on how the company is handling the non-corporate locations?

Crickets.

He's upset because the numbers here are spiking. And our city and our county are seeing huge daily increases, and the hospitals are nearing capacity.

My agency still hasn't said when we will return to the offices. All we know if that they will give us 2 weeks notice on changes to the WFH program, and that they want the return to occur in phases. Given the numbers, we may be home for a while longer than the last update planned. . .

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We have a restaurant owner here that keeps saying that the data is skewed because there's more testing, hence more people with it. I told him to not worry about that, but look at the deaths and they have risen too, so............???
This was asked about a while back in one of the weekly Zoom meetings my epidemiologist/MD neighbor does for the neighborhood. IIRC, the gist of his answer was that if the area where the testing is being done is increasing testing AND seeing an increase in positive tests, if the positive tests are increasing faster than the rate of new tests (like what's happening in Florida and Arizona and parts of CA now) then that's a bad sign. I cannot recall the exact figure he cited but basically, if the situation is improving while testing is increases, you would see the "growth" slowing considerably and that slower growth with the increased testing is something that public health officials specifically look for.

DVD

Cyburbian
My county started requiring their employees to wear a mask. My city has followed suit. We are no thinking return to "normal" work will be sometime in September. For now I will work at home where I get more done anyway.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We start back June 29th and re-open to the public July 6th. My staff will be doing one week at the office, two weeks work from home, rinse and repeat as necessary. There's just three of us, so this should be something we can do for the foreseeable future, like until there's a vaccine.

Sorry, HomerJ, for what you have to go through and I'm sending best wishes that everybody is negative. Keep us posted, as you are able.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
So just got an email from the Executive Director of my agency.

Work From Home/telework as a priority to continue through middle of July. Then, it will be re-evaluated for either continuing or starting the phased return to the office plan.

Previous WFH end was the end of June.

So another 2 weeks added to my sentence . . .I mean probation.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
Thanks all. I was hoping my wife's test results would come in by today, but due to a backlog they won't be available until Friday or Saturday at the earliest :mad:. I am scheduled to get tested tomorrow morning (different testing site so hopefully I will get my results within a reasonable time).

One silver lining here is that even if my wife does have it, her symptoms are extremely mild. She was having body aches and a sore throat over the weekend, and also says she can barely smell or taste anything (which seems to be a very strong indicator she is positive for it). But that's pretty much it and her aches are already gone. I had a sore throat up until last night, but that could have to do with allergies since it seems to have completely cleared up today. Baby seems to be doing just fine too.

Now we're pretty much just stuck in this holding pattern, which I'll gladly take if it means we have mild symptoms and aren't spreading it around. If my wife does test positive she'll have to continue to isolate and I'll be alone on baby duty for the foreseeable future. Thank goodness he's a good sleeper and thinks me wearing my mask is entertaining.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
Well the good news is we actually got the results today after all. Bad news is my wife tested positive. She is feeling fine other than the lack of smell and taste; based on the timing of her symptoms and movement it is very likely she got it last Monday or Tuesday while back at the office. It was the 2nd week she was back in the office (she did not want to go in but her employer pressured her into it and now she is beside herself). I'm getting a test tomorrow and should know the results in 2-4 days.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well the good news is we actually got the results today after all. Bad news is my wife tested positive. She is feeling fine other than the lack of smell and taste; based on the timing of her symptoms and movement it is very likely she got it last Monday or Tuesday while back at the office. It was the 2nd week she was back in the office (she did not want to go in but her employer pressured her into it and now she is beside herself). I'm getting a test tomorrow and should know the results in 2-4 days.
oh sending cyber-hugs to you all

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Sorry to hear that. Glad she is feeling fine... sucks you have to deal with it at all. Keep us updated.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Curious if this virus, lockdown, and associated strangeness has caused anyone to re-evaluate their life?
I think I take cleanliness a little more seriously now. I'm a lot less likely to want to touch public doorways with my hands and have zero interest in shaking hands with people now. I think I'm a lot more deliberate on what I do. Careful not to get into peoples personal 6' bubble, aware of my surroundings, etc.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Curious if this virus, lockdown, and associated strangeness has caused anyone to re-evaluate their life?
I just feel this ever-present dread - but, I worry more about my young adult children as they have pressed pause on their lives and have no drive to do much so on the one hand, I get it and I feel really sad for them but on the other hand, I think, can you mow the lawn or something while we are out working?

So I go from existentialism to pragmatism in a second's notice... which is a normal day for me

Doohickie

Cyburbian
keeps saying that the data is skewed because there's more testing, hence more people with it. I told him to not worry about that, but look at the deaths and they have risen too
I was watching number of cases locally, but I really think much of the increase is due to test frequency. That said, hospitalizations and deaths are also up, albeit not as much as the number of cases. So... I think you are both right.

MacheteJames

Cyburbian
No, not really. I think that even if this lasts a couple years, it's really just a blip in life.
I could not possibly disagree more with this statement and am a little confused how someone could say such a thing. I believe that this time, with the virus/protests/recession/election all at once, will be looked back on as among the most consequential and pivotal moments of the 21st century, or perhaps even of the last 50-60 years.

Planit

Cyburbian
I was watching number of cases locally, but I really think much of the increase is due to test frequency. That said, hospitalizations and deaths are also up, albeit not as much as the number of cases. So... I think you are both right.
I get what you're sayin' but also look at percentages. If previous there were 2500 tests in a certain week with 25 positive (which is 1%) and now there are 10,000 test in a certain week with 300 positives (which is 3%) then there is a higher number of positives, but also a higher percentage/rate of positives.

It's too easy to discount the argument of "there's more cases because there's more testing" without dwelling a little deeper into the data.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
Got my test this morning. Self-administered swab at a local CVS. From what I've heard about how uncomfortable the long nasal swab is, this test was really not so bad. I hope I have my results by Friday but it could take as long as Tuesday.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I could not possibly disagree more with this statement and am a little confused how someone could say such a thing. I believe that this time, with the virus/protests/recession/election all at once, will be looked back on as among the most consequential and pivotal moments of the 21st century, or perhaps even of the last 50-60 years.
Sorry but I'm pretty much in Doohickie's camp as well. I understand people have been impacted differently but thus far my life has remained relatively stable. Again, I understand others are not so fortunate but there are a lot of folks like me too. I've been inconvenienced some but day to day life has carried on for the most part. And over time this will be a relative blip on the radar. It's not the Black Death. But to Maister's point, maybe some people have taken the occasion to re-evaluate their lives. I did that a few years ago so perhaps that's why I've dealt with this pretty well. And to be clear, I'm only talking about the pandemic. The other issues are a different matter.

MacheteJames

Cyburbian
Sorry but I'm pretty much in Doohickie's camp as well. I understand people have been impacted differently but thus far my life has remained relatively stable. Again, I understand others are not so fortunate but there are a lot of folks like me too. I've been inconvenienced some but day to day life has carried on for the most part. And over time this will be a relative blip on the radar. It's not the Black Death. But to Maister's point, maybe some people have taken the occasion to re-evaluate their lives. I did that a few years ago so perhaps that's why I've dealt with this pretty well. And to be clear, I'm only talking about the pandemic. The other issues are a different matter.
I don't see how, at this moment of such import, the pandemic can be pulled apart from the economic calamity and the nascent movement against racialized police brutality, but okay. To me, it's all interconnected.

I mean yeah, if you zoom out far enough - sure, it'll be a blip, and the universe will die an eventual heat death.

Other folks' reality is not my reality - I guess that's all I can say.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Some good news from here in Michigan:

COVID-19 Moedling Site: Michigan "on track to contain" virus

1592418417166.png

The governor also announced that they plan to by the end of the month, they will present a plan to re-open the schools for in-person learning in the fall. That's particularly good news because our kids desperately need that socialization and I think my 9-year-old will be especially heartened by that announcement. There has been some talk among local districts to actually go back earlier in August than originally planned to try and give the kids some extra school days early in their schedule so that they've got a bit of a bank built up if they need to close again temporarily or if they decided to go to 3 or 4 day school weeks.

Planit

Cyburbian
Rumors I'm hearing for NC is that Gov will not go to Phase 3, but stay in Phase 2 & that masks might become mandatory. We'll see this Thursday or Friday.