• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Coronavirus and other pandemics

kms

Cyburbian
The young lady we had watching Peach Fuzz while CCG did his college work pre-COVID works at a grocery store. CCG is taking the summer off, so we haven't needed childcare, but we will need help again once his semester starts back up. We've only had 18 confirmed cases in our county (of just under 15,000). It's pretty rural, so maybe that helps. I'm still kind of nervous about it since working in a public place like that increases her exposure, but as long as the local cases don't increase drastically, I'm inclined to ask her if she's available in the fall to help again. We love her and it's been SO HARD to even find a baby-sitter where we live.

We're still being really cautious, but I'm comfortable seeing people at small, private, outdoor functions at this point (backyard cookouts and stuff like that). I just can't decide if that's an unnecessary risk or not. It's got to be better than a day care, though, right?
If covid is still a problem when you need her, couldn you offer her a little more money if she'd stop working at the store?

gtpeach

Cyburbian
If covid is still a problem when you need her, couldn you offer her a little more money if she'd stop working at the store?
We only need her a day or two a week. We can't afford to pay her (or anyone) full-time compensation until CCG starts working again.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I got contacted by a contact tracer.:worried: I have evidently crossed paths with "someone at the agency" who has tested positive for COVID-19 since our contact occurred.:mask:

Given the date, I know exactly who it was. And they exhibited no symptoms. But given that we were the only ones there, and the fact that they specifically said that we had talked on that date, I am 100% certain as to who in my department has tested positive.

Our contact was Monday morning. I didn't need to be there that day - I had a couple of days to get in and update my password and other network-related items before being locked out. I wore a mask:mask: in the common areas and stayed more than 6 feet away from the other person. But yes, we did talk about a work item and also a little chatting. I guess I picked the wrong day.

This person tested positive within 2 days of that contact. I was notified late today. So now I'm not allowed back to the office until July 7th or after a set amount of time from symptom clearance (if I have any). I was in the office for about 3 hours. Prior to this week, it had been 1 month and 3 days since I'd been in the office.

I do not currently exhibit any symptoms. But I have canceled my plans to see dad this weekend. It's Hubby's birthday this weekend. I guess I won't be going out to pick up dinner that night.:(

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Any ideas as to why the sudden huge spike?
Yes: Reopening which has gone in stages. It started out with restaurants at 25% and no bars. Then restaurants at 50% and bars at 25%. It's currently at 75%/50%, and lots of other things like bowling alleys and amusement parks can open to various degrees.

But here's the problem. The governor's office has posted minimum health standards for various businesses and lots of them are ignoring them. For instance, buffets are not supposed to be open to the public: "If a buffet is offered, restaurant employees serve the food to customers." I heard of a buffet that opened and they just made gloves available to the customers (didn't require they used them) and the customers go through the buffet line.

Probably 2/3 of the state is taking this seriously and 1/3 thinks it's a liberal hoax, that Gawd will protect them, that since measures like masks are not 100% effective you don't have to wear them, and all kinds of other Covidiocy.

Fort Worth and Tarrant County announced to day that all people working in places that serve the public, and all their customers, are now required to wear masks. I'm pretty sure that will also be largely ignored. The 1/3 who think masks are st00pid are often belligerent and armed. It's only a matter of time before some poor dude tries to keep someone out of a store because they refuse to wear a mask, and ends up getting shot.

My wife is very concerned about school starting. She has autoimmune issues and the options being discussed by the school district she works for are not encouraging.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
... that since measures like masks are not 100% effective you don't have to wear them...
This one drives me more nuts than anything else. Seeing how unwilling people are to wear masks has been eye opening. I mean I figured there would be a subset of people who would refuse to wear them, but not so many. I hope that perhaps most people really are willing to wear masks and the news is exaggerating this, but anecdotally it seems like there really aren't a lot of people wearing masks.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
I got contacted by a contact tracer.:worried: I have evidently crossed paths with "someone at the agency" who has tested positive for COVID-19 since our contact occurred.:mask:

I do not currently exhibit any symptoms. But I have canceled my plans to see dad this weekend. It's Hubby's birthday this weekend. I guess I won't be going out to pick up dinner that night.:(
Keeping my fingers crossed for you. My wife is now 1 day short of having to self-isolate for 2 weeks, which means I am 1 day short of 2 weeks of full time baby duty. The first week was ok, but this second week has been rough. My newborn decided around 5 days ago that sleep is no longer fashionable :sleep:. It is amazing how a little baby can inadvertently cause so much chaos by simply not sleeping.

After this weekend my wife and I will probably need to look into getting ourselves tested again (ugh). Although I tested negative last week, I am fairly convinced both I and my son had very mild cases. We're mostly concerned about accidentally spreading it to other family members who, despite really really wanting to be with the baby, have health issues and could be t high risk if they were to get sick.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Yikes Sal! I hope you are negative (which doesn't sound like a positive thing to say, come to think of it).

kms

Cyburbian
My son was tested yesterday. I haven't seen him since last Wednesday, which puts me halfway through the wait.

Fingers crossed that the results are negative. He's my mother's caretaker when he isn't at work.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Yep, Maricopa County, which covers the Phoenix metro.
Yep. I'll hold your beer.

I just found out a nearby hospital has every ICU bed occupied.

Surprisingly to me, Governor Abbott has walked back the 75/50% occupancy for restaurants and bars to 50/0%. Bars are closed again. I have some faint hope that when he allows reopening it will be connected to mask use.

My local craft brewer posted yesterday that they were requiring mask use for all people in the taproom, except for when they're actually at their table drinking. Before they could even implement the policy they got shut down :(

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I've had several co-workers take vacations to different beaches in the last couple of weeks, and they've all said the same thing: despite protocols that are technically in place, no one is following the guidelines. Most of them took a lot of precautions - they brought their own food and really only left their living areas to go to the beach. No restaurants, no shopping, no mini-golf or anything like that. They were pretty uncomfortable with the lack of safety and health standards being met.

I'm wondering if there are any resorts/vacation destinations that have been able to re-open that are doing a good job of maintaining safety protocols. For those that still have reliable income, I can see how a vacation would be merited. It's been really stressful. I just don't know that I'd feel comfortable in any area that's not something I have complete control of at the moment.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I've had several co-workers take vacations to different beaches in the last couple of weeks, and they've all said the same thing: despite protocols that are technically in place, no one is following the guidelines. Most of them took a lot of precautions - they brought their own food and really only left their living areas to go to the beach. No restaurants, no shopping, no mini-golf or anything like that. They were pretty uncomfortable with the lack of safety and health standards being met.

I'm wondering if there are any resorts/vacation destinations that have been able to re-open that are doing a good job of maintaining safety protocols. For those that still have reliable income, I can see how a vacation would be merited. It's been really stressful. I just don't know that I'd feel comfortable in any area that's not something I have complete control of at the moment.
My fiance and I ended up going to South Lake Tahoe for an extended weekend with friends. We drink and played a board game at 1 brewery. 0 social distancing. We also went to an outdoor brewery, and it was better, but still, not a lot of face masks when in close proximity. That was the extent of our "adventuring". Living in a tourist area, people are not wearing masks at all. My fiance was tested 2 weeks ago because a co-worker tested positive. Negative, but she hasn't step foot in the office since.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
My fiance and I ended up going to South Lake Tahoe for an extended weekend with friends. We drink and played a board game at 1 brewery. 0 social distancing. We also went to an outdoor brewery, and it was better, but still, not a lot of face masks when in close proximity. That was the extent of our "adventuring". Living in a tourist area, people are not wearing masks at all. My fiance was tested 2 weeks ago because a co-worker tested positive. Negative, but she hasn't step foot in the office since.
I don't blame her! It's a shame that something that should be relaxing can end up just inducing more stress. I'm not going anywhere at the moment, but we'd been talking about going to the Great Smoky Mountains in the fall. But I think we're just going to hold off this year. I got my week-long vacation in the hospital already for the year, I guess.

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
It was primary day this past Tuesday. I only had 3 people at the polling site not wear a mask who should have been. (One was a special needs person there with her parents, so the co-site manager and I let that one go).
The last came in during our busiest hour of the day.
Me: "Sir, you need to be wearing a mask."
Man: "I had it in March. I had the test then and was positive, I had the antibody test and it was positive, so I can't give it to anyone. So really it should be fine..."
Me: "That's kind of a long explanation to give to each voter who freaks out when they see you're not wearing one." I handed him a mask and said "I think you'll live with wearing it the 5 minutes you're here voting."
He put on the mask and didn't argue, which was a relief.

DVD

Cyburbian
Leave it to Florida to up the public hearing stupidity over masks. Thank you Palm Beach County for explaining that you don't wear masks for the same reason you don't wear underwear.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Leave it to Florida to up the public hearing stupidity over masks. Thank you Palm Beach County for explaining that you don't wear masks for the same reason you don't wear underwear.
I saw that earlier today. Those sure were some opinions...

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I'm getting caught up here and I'm sorry to hear the news HomerJ and Sal! It sounds like an exhausting two weeks for you HomerJ. . . eight month olds are tiring when there are two adults to take care of them.

One of my coworkers was tested yesterday and she's our front desk receptionist/greeter so if she is positive, there are likely several people who have been exposed. I hope she's ok.

People seem to be wearing masks here in stores, restaurants, etc. but I haven't been in the touristy parts of town, just the suburban parts. :p

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I'm putting this in the coronavirus thread because I am blaming the virus for me not getting out earlier, but.... I finally went to Home Depot today for some potted plants for the porches and some annuals for the flower beds and was it ever slim pickins!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
From the county health department:

As of 06/28/2020 at 5:45pm.
Total tested for COVID-19Pending resultsPositive casesNegative test resultsRecovered

Active COVID-19 hospitalizationsDischarged todayTotal resident deathsTotal non-resident deaths

[positive cases] - [recovered] - [non-resident deaths] = 0

Still, there's summer tourists, and students coming back in a couple of months.

Planit

Cyburbian
Posted at a local restaurant - which I will not be going to for quite awhile.

In light of Governors Cooper's mandate regarding wearing face masks, we will not abide by this order. We believe it is unconstitutional. If you are uncomfortable in our place of business, please choose another establishment.

Our first and foremost goal is the safety of our family and you, our friends, We however feel like this has nothing to do with safety.

Sincerely,
The Owners

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian

I live in a tourist location and folks are definitely traveling again! While I feel like many of the businesses in the tourist area are making an attempt, I've also seen 4 of my favorite places CLOSE again in the past week because someone on staff tested positive for COVID-19.

A colleague asked me to lunch a few weeks ago and then again yesterday. I'm leery to be in restaurants right now so I suggested take-out and meeting in a park. He reminded me that we've got a 95 degree heat index... Valid point. I think I may have to take a rain check on the lunch. I'm not afraid to be around people but I'm definitely more comfortable around those whom I know where they've been -- especially in a mask-less eating situation.

kms

Cyburbian
The health department in the county where I work closed bars. Last week saw a huge spike in cases and I'm sure they don't want the governor to push them back to the previous reopening level.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's like a whack-a-mole game, whereby the epicenters just pop up and down around the country - it's a textbook case on why we need federal responses to some things that happen - until there is truly a national response to suppressing the exposure to COVID, the epicenters will just keep going around the country - one state's numbers go up and then down as they open up and shut down - it should illustrate why we need a federal government (beyond the military) to libertarians, but so many people think it's all hogwash even when the numbers are shown to them that it's really just depressing

it's going to be this way until we get a vaccine, and, that the vaccine is widely available and free

actually, a pandemic is why we need planetary approaches to some things, not to get all Star-Trekkie but our separation from WHO was a mistake - WHO isn't perfect and can be oddly political but change the system, don't walk away from it

DVD

Cyburbian
A gym in Kansas is suing the governor to stay open. The owner is a slime ball and there are many stories of his stupidity.

A gym here is deciding to stay open despite the governor's order. We'll see if he does anything.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
It's like a whack-a-mole game, whereby the epicenters just pop up and down around the country - it's a textbook case on why we need federal responses to some things that happen - until there is truly a national response to suppressing the exposure to COVID, the epicenters will just keep going around the country - one state's numbers go up and then down as they open up and shut down - it should illustrate why we need a federal government (beyond the military) to libertarians, but so many people think it's all hogwash even when the numbers are shown to them that it's really just depressing
The lack of federal response, or at least some sort of regional collaboration between states, is akin to having a p!ss!ng section in a pool.

Planit

Cyburbian
I've only sat down @ 3 restaurants and gone to grocery & home improvement stores. This evening I'll be headed to Target, wish me luck!

Planit

Cyburbian
Glad I was sitting down when I read these statements:

"We must have no stigma, none, about wearing masks when we leave our homes and come near other people. Wearing simple face coverings is not about protecting ourselves, it is about protecting everyone we encounter," McConnell said on the Senate floor Monday.

House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy on Tuesday said he believes in wearing masks because "I do not want to shut the economy back down."
"Wearing the mask is the best opportunity for us to keep this economy open, keep us working, keep us safe and help us as we build towards that vaccine where we're in a much stronger position than any country before," the California Republican said on "Fox & Friends."

This is what should have been stated 3 months ago!!!

Salmissra

Cyburbian

It's been one week since contact. I haven't had any symptoms yet, but I am still stressing out and not sleeping well as a result of the stress. The lack of sleep makes me not want to be at work, so work is struggling right now.

The positive person has symptoms. They started Thursday and by Friday were in high gear. No hospitalization (yet) but cough, constant migraine, and dizzy spells. Not fun.

So people, wear your :mask:mask:mask:! Practice social distancing! Stay home if you can!

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
I'm going to venture out of the house and stay somewhere else this weekend for the first time since March. I figure it'll be safer since the bf's 2 roommates are away for the holiday.

Man: "I had it in March. I had the test then and was positive, I had the antibody test and it was positive, so I can't give it to anyone. So really it should be fine..."
I wonder if the man was lying about getting "the antibody test"--or maybe even lying about the whole thing?
When I got the blood test to determine if I had Covid-19 antibodies, the medical staff had a number of legal requirements both (1) before my blood was drawn, and (2) when I got the results, which was ~ten days later.

I had to answer questions similar to these, (and more), both times, and sign (initial) after each answer:
  • Do I understand the procedure, including margins of error, probabilities of false-positives & -negatives, liability limits, (etc.)?
  • Understand that there's no conclusive proof that having antibodies means that I am immune to getting Covid-19 symptoms/outbreak again?
  • Ergo, understand that I must assume that I definitely can get it again, and must act accordingly?
  • Understand that I could have legal liability if I use the test results to show a person/people my chances of spreading. or not spreading, Covid-19?
I'm not sure exactly how this legal question was worded to be encompass every situation, but the maskless man might not have had the legal right to assure people that he was "fine".
(BTW, it looks like Pres.Trump was legally counseled about this liability vis-a-vis his rallies.)
- Last question:
Does patient understand that future antibody testing is required, according to future medical scheduling, for an indefinite period of time, (until it's discontinued)?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I am in the office this morning for the first time since March 13th.. A few notes:

• I have lost a lot of weight since I've been out but didn't realize how significant it has been until I went to get dressed this morning and EVERY. SINGLE. PAIR. of trousers I tried on was literally falling of me. I finally remembered a box of old chinos and trousers I had packed away a long time ago and thankfully there was something in there that sort of fit, but I've still got the belt cinched way too tight in order to keep them from falling down
  • I had to answer some questions about health and travel before I could enter and then walk through a big machine to take my temperature that sort of looked like those X-Ray machines at the airport (no fever for me - I clocked in at 96.3... because I'm perpetually coooooollll!)
  • There are usually a few hundred people i the building but it's pretty empty here today. It looks like there are maybe 2 other people from planning/economic development here on the floor today, though there is team from facilities working in here rearranging some sections to make things even more spread out
    • The two other co-workers that I did run into both commented, unprompted, on my weight loss so I guess it is noticeable
  • It's been so long since I've physically been in the office that my laptop cannot seem to figure out how to connect to our hardwire network. Thankfully we have pretty good WiFi in here and there aren't many people around to use it and slow it down.
  • I forgot how much more comfortable my office chair is than the barstool I've been sitting in at my kitchen counter for the past few months

Bubba

Cyburbian
I am in the office this morning for the first time since March 13th.
Mrs. Bubba went into her office today, also for the first time since March 13th. Her firm reopened the office to a larger group of staff a couple of weeks ago (the IT support folks that need physical access to servers and such had permission to go in as needed during the lockdown), but their current rules still mean that only one person from her team can sit at their desk on a given day, even with the physical barriers separating their workstations. March 4 was the last day I was in my office - I'm pretty much resigned at this point to not seeing it again until sometime next year.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Mrs. Bubba went into her office today, also for the first time since March 13th. Her firm reopened the office to a larger group of staff a couple of weeks ago (the IT support folks that need physical access to servers and such had permission to go in as needed during the lockdown), but their current rules still mean that only one person from her team can sit at their desk on a given day, even with the physical barriers separating their workstations. March 4 was the last day I was in my office - I'm pretty much resigned at this point to not seeing it again until sometime next year.
Our office has been opened for those who need to be here throughout all of this. There are a few folks in Purchasing and Fiscal Services and HR who need to be here because there are restrictions on their software as to what they can do remotely but other than that it sounds like there have only been a couple people in our department on any given day (folks who might need some sort of software or conferencing technology they cannot use at home) and one supervisor. I think the supervisors are taking turns being the one to come in each week. We have to let management know each Friday if there are any days/hours we plan to be in the office the following week so they can make sure there aren't too many in any given section.

It's really quiet in here so I've got my music and podcasts playing pretty loudly and without my kids running around yelling at each other I'm getting a lot done but I do miss watching the world outside my kitchen window and making breakfast and lunch for my kids. I'm debating making coming in on Wednesdays a permanent thing.

Beyond all of that, it sounds like WFH is going to be the norm for us for the most part through the summer and well into the fall. I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts until next spring for us out of an abundance of caution. I want to find out from somebody higher up if there is any plan to give us this option permanently but I don't think they'd tell us that until after the elections. If it does become a permanent option (even just 2 or 3 days a week WFH), I'm going to seriously consider a small addition and remodel in our den to make it more conducive to that changed schedule.

Planit

Cyburbian
Posted at a local restaurant - which I will not be going to for quite awhile.

In light of Governors Cooper's mandate regarding wearing face masks, we will not abide by this order. We believe it is unconstitutional. If you are uncomfortable in our place of business, please choose another establishment.

Our first and foremost goal is the safety of our family and you, our friends, We however feel like this has nothing to do with safety.

Sincerely,
The Owners

The sign came down. I understand they got a few complaints from loyal customers.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I am very disappointed in the number of people not wearing masks out in public, despite the state mandate. In the grocery store, there as a family of 5 (kids appeared to be early teens) and none of them had masks on, and the store was packed. The Governor is having a press conference this afternoon and I will not be surprised if he says we are going back to Phase 1 on Friday at 5pm... which would really F-up my dinner plans for that night.

Wife was informed yesterday that one of her coworkers in the OR at the Hospital has COVID, so now she has to take her temp twice a day. One of those times is before she leaves for work and then the second when she gets home from work... which surprised me that they are doing it for them at the hospital to track it. We got talking about it and it got me wondering about those who are asymptomatic. If you have no symptoms and never get tested, then will you ever know that you have, or had it?

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I am very disappointed in the number of people not wearing masks out in public, despite the state mandate. In the grocery store, there as a family of 5 (kids appeared to be early teens) and none of them had masks on, and the store was packed. The Governor is having a press conference this afternoon and I will not be surprised if he says we are going back to Phase 1 on Friday at 5pm... which would really F-up my dinner plans for that night.

Wife was informed yesterday that one of her coworkers in the OR at the Hospital has COVID, so now she has to take her temp twice a day. One of those times is before she leaves for work and then the second when she gets home from work... which surprised me that they are doing it for them at the hospital to track it. We got talking about it and it got me wondering about those who are asymptomatic. If you have no symptoms and never get tested, then will you ever know that you have, or had it?
Without an antibody test, you wouldn't know. My city is hosting a blood drive later this month. They are doing an antibody test for Covid. I am not sure if that's to draw in donors or if it's required due to blood collection .

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Our governor has ordered bars in most of Michigan's Lower Peninsula closed. This follows a couple high profile incidents including one particular bar in East Lansing from which 100+ primary or secondary infections can be traced directly to.

I understand that everybody has a different tolerance for risk, but I have absolutely no desire to go and sit down in a bar or restaurant since that has become an option again over the past couple weeks. We began getting take-out once a week maybe a month and a half ago and I am more than happy to put on my mask, go in and pick up my food, and get the heck out. I cannot imagine my wife nor I will want to sit down in a restaurant for a very long time.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I understand that everybody has a different tolerance for risk, but I have absolutely no desire to go and sit down in a bar or restaurant since that has become an option again over the past couple weeks. We began getting take-out once a week maybe a month and a half ago and I am more than happy to put on my mask, go in and pick up my food, and get the heck out. I cannot imagine my wife nor I will want to sit down in a restaurant for a very long time.
We have gone out twice since the restrictions have allowed them to open here, and both times have been very interesting experiences. Every other table is roped off, the smell of the Clorox wipes is evident, they don't have anything on the table, and the menus are QR codes taped to the table or the wall. All staff have masks on and there is a person who's only responsibility is walking around cleaning door handles or any other surface that someone touches. They say they can have up to 50% capacity, but both times it was closer to 10%. Service on the other hand has been exceptional.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I am very disappointed in the number of people not wearing masks out in public, despite the state mandate.
I've been pleasantly surprised with the masks being worn around here. Living in die hard Trump territory, I'd have expected it to be largely forgotten about. Most people are wearing them.