• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Coronavirus and other pandemics

Planit

Cyburbian
^^^Sounds like tRump when he's telling one of his fibs about things he knows about.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Let's talk masks for a moment. In all seriousness, why do you think there is opposition to wearing them? I mean really, what are people's concerns and what can be done to overcome those concerns?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Let's talk masks for a moment. In all seriousness, why do you think there is opposition to wearing them? I mean really, what are people's concerns and what can be done to overcome those concerns?
Most people that are against it that I know, are generally in two camps:

1. They don't like government and certainly think it is play to control us.
2. They don't believe that the virus is as bad as we say it is, and this is just a way for the Democrats to win the election.

As it seems even the most ardent people who are against it are coming around, it just makes the governor's who are sucking, look even worse. Here's looking at your DeSantis. I mean I think if we go back and look at how many Republicans versus how many Democrats were right about premature opening, the severity of the virus, and the reality of the situation, I am not certain that it would look favorably at the R's.

The R's have focused on the political side and the potential economic impact, but neglected to realize that when we all have to close down again, which unfortunately is already happening, we are going to have a much bigger hit on the economy. Just like most of our country, we have no patience, and instead of doing the right thing, we want it now, and screw it up for the next generation. (See social security, global warming, etc.).

Masks were made political by Trump. They never should have been political. The solutions to this problem were generally consistent from the experts, but the politicians have made this ugly. If we had a leader who said from the beginning that masks were something that could help and we should all do it, this would have been a different conversation. But when our leader states that masks are just the Democrats way to win an election it puts science, truth, and sacrifice out the window. Bigly sad.

Bubba

Cyburbian
The mask issue is interesting. Anecdotally, I'm seeing more of an urban/rural and socioeconomic split around here on wearing masks than a political one.

And then there's this:

Mrs. Bubba and I swung by the nearest location of a large chain supermarket last Friday evening to grab a couple of sandwiches from their deli counter. The municipality it is in (The Town Next Door) currently has a mask requirement for indoor publicly-accessible spaces (albeit with no penalties associated with it other than the police having the right to evict you from a business is you refuse to wear a mask). The county this municipality is in also has a mask ordnance. We were in the the store for about 15 minutes, and during that time we saw a grand total of one person not wearing a mask - a police officer from that municipality who was in line in front of me at the deli.

Go figure.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Northern NJ includes regions of the state where pork roll can be found at local eateries.
I'd probably hold the line at Hudson, Bergen, Essex, and Lower Passaic as being North Jersey. Maybe Union if we're feeling generous.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I'd probably hold the line at Hudson, Bergen, Essex, and Lower Passaic as being North Jersey. Maybe Union if we're feeling generous.

The Politics of Defining Central New Jersey

Last edited:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
what about Morris, Sussex, Warren ?

Central being Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Somerset, & Union ?
Morris, Sussex, and Warren are just "out there"....yes they are geographically north, but are they really like Bergen, Essex, Hudson and Lower Passaic County?

Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Somerset are central. Union County is messy because there are towns like Cranford, Westfield, Hillside, Elizabeth, and the Roselles that are more like Essex and Hudson in feel but towns like Clark, Rahway, and Metuchen are definitely central.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Morris, Sussex, and Warren are just "out there"....yes they are geographically north, but are they really like Bergen, Essex, Hudson and Lower Passaic County?

Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Somerset are central. Union County is messy because there are towns like Cranford, Westfield, Hillside, Elizabeth, and the Roselles that are more like Essex and Hudson in feel but towns like Clark, Rahway, and Metuchen are definitely central.
Growing up in Westfield, I was always told we're are in central New Jersey.
The Central NJ Transit RR line being the spine - gold on the map.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I decided that since I'm going to be WFH for the rest of the calendar year, I would get some Tshirts that are too out-there for work and have fun wearing them for the next few months.

Thanks to Etsy, TeeSpring, and FB, I have ordered the following themes:

-Patronus is a Saluki
-HP-AV-SG
-Dogs>People
-2020 - 1 star review with text

I also picked up some Grinch/Cat in the Hat cloth face masks.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Union is definitely Central Jersey. The southern part of Warren is too, and I'd accept the northern part if someone made a well reasoned argument.
I would argue, however, that Ocean is definitely NOT CNJ, and neither is Monmouth, IMO. If you have Atlantic shoreline, you ain't Central.
I'd keep Mercer in CNJ only because that's where Princeton is, and I'm basically a snob.

Reactions: JNA

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Union is definitely Central Jersey. The southern part of Warren is too, and I'd accept the northern part if someone made a well reasoned argument.
I would argue, however, that Ocean is definitely NOT CNJ, and neither is Monmouth, IMO. If you have Atlantic shoreline, you ain't Central.
I'd keep Mercer in CNJ only because that's where Princeton is, and I'm basically a snob.
Using highways....I sort of divide North Jersey as anything north of 78, Central Jersey is anything south of 78 and north of 195, and South Jersey is anything south of 195. The Jersey Shore is anything west of the Parkway and south of 287.

Princeton is definitely CNJ.

Reactions: JNA

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Using highways....I sort of divide North Jersey as anything north of 78, Central Jersey is anything south of 78 and north of 195, and South Jersey is anything south of 195. The Jersey Shore is anything west of the Parkway and south of 287.

Princeton is definitely CNJ.
Don't you mean EAST !

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Do you know about QAnon? Q is an anonymous poster or posters (thus the name) that started a grand conspiracy theory that is driving right wing politics right now. For the hardcore adherents it's akin to a religion. Some of the tenets they believe:
  • There is a grand left wing conspiracy to usher in the New World Order.
  • These people are evil because they hold children in captivity for sex parties (remember Pizzagate?)
  • The Deep State supports them and needs to be rooted out of the government (thus the knock against Fauci and other public health experts).
  • A race ware is coming (aka, The Boogaloo).
  • The Coronavirus is overblown and is simply a way for the government to lord over the people through fear.
  • The Fake News mainstream media are in cahoots with the New World Order and are not to be trusted.
  • God is against the NWO.
  • Because the NWO is evil, any and all means to defeat it are justified.
  • Donald Trump is the savior sent by God to overthrow the NWO.
There's more to it. Q makes posts on websites like 4chan and 8chan and his followers eat it up. The conspiracy drives a lot of what is reported on Fox News and One America Network. It legitimizes the conspiracies and provides the lens people view world events through. If you listen to a lot of the things Trump says with QAnon in mind, you see he's playing to them.

When you ask a QAnoner how they can believe such outlandish things, or you challenge them to reveal the sources of their beliefs, they often will direct you to "Do your own research." It's their Get Out Of Jail Free card in their minds. People who accept mainstream media at face value and don't believe their conspiracies are "sheeple."

Now, not everyone on the right follows QAnon; many don't even know about QAnon. But QAnon is driving the things they watch and read.

Given that background, it isn't that they are ignorant, it's that they actually have a different foundation for how they view the world. To wear a mask would be to accept the Mark of the Beast. That's why you see Karens freaking out in supermarkets and Kevins pulling guns on people trying to enforce mask rules.

Because they believe these things so fervently, appealing to reason will not dissuade them. If anything, appealing to reason merely identifies you to them as opposition.

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Because they believe these things so fervently, appealing to reason will not dissuade them.
And it's not that they have to have fervent beliefs. Some just do not think. I have a relative who has a world view similar to QAnon and it is clear this relative does not think.

AG74683

Cyburbian
The girlfriend of one of our travel companions for the upcoming Colorado trip has tested positive for COVID-19. I think we are going to plan for another date on this trip. Just starting to feel a little sketchy.

Bubba

Cyburbian
The girlfriend of one of our travel companions for the upcoming Colorado trip has tested positive for COVID-19. I think we are going to plan for another date on this trip. Just starting to feel a little sketchy.
Understandable, but that has to be frustrating.

We've had some friends/coworkers/acquaintances get tested recently due to possible exposure - all negative so far, thankfully.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Understandable, but that has to be frustrating.

We've had some friends/coworkers/acquaintances get tested recently due to possible exposure - all negative so far, thankfully.
Honestly, not really. I've had a lot of unrelated things come up and the trip was sort of something I was no longer looking forward to.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Would or will you volunteer for a coronavirus vaccine trial ?
No way. I know people are being paid money to do so but I'm much more concerned about an experimental vaccine being injected into my body than I am the virus itself. That statement in no way diminishes the concern I have about the virus but as a pretty healthy person I would rather take my chances on surviving the virus than being subjected to some new drug with completely unknown side effects.

kms

Cyburbian
No way. I know people are being paid money to do so but I'm much more concerned about an experimental vaccine being injected into my body than I am the virus itself. That statement in no way diminishes the concern I have about the virus but as a pretty healthy person I would rather take my chances on surviving the virus than being subjected to some new drug with completely unknown side effects.
What he said.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Yes, depending on who is leading the virus experiment. I am much more scared of the virus and what it will do to our population in the Fall / next year. We need a vaccine that works. The only way for that to happen is to have people who are willing to make it work and subject themselves to testing. If only people who needed money and unhealthy people did the trial, we wouldn't really have a good idea of what works and doesn't work on the general population.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
If I didn't have kids I would volunteer. I'm not too worried about an experimental vaccine doing much damage but on the off chance something did go horribly wrong, I wouldn't want to leave behind two fatherless young children.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Went to the grocery store this AM in a predominately blue collar part of town. EVERYONE wearing masks. Optimistic? We'll see.

Planit

Cyburbian
We were (kinda) forced to hold a planning commission meeting last night for public hearing. Realtor, buyer, seller all bitched to the CM to hold the meeting even though city hall is closed to the public and council meetings are back on zoom.

I met everyone at the front door of city hall and denied them entrance to other areas except meeting room. We put in the notice letter that masks will be required. Only had 1 that didn't bring one & he said he just forgot it & he thanked me for a new mask). I also offered hand sanitizer to everyone as they walked in the door. We were right at capacity and socially distanced in the room.

It went okay but I am still pissed about having to do it. No one thanked us for the effort either. This was all for a crappy corner gas station/convenience store/fast food combo building.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
We were (kinda) forced to hold a planning commission meeting last night for public hearing. Realtor, buyer, seller all bitched to the CM to hold the meeting even though city hall is closed to the public and council meetings are back on zoom.

I met everyone at the front door of city hall and denied them entrance to other areas except meeting room. We put in the notice letter that masks will be required. Only had 1 that didn't bring one & he said he just forgot it & he thanked me for a new mask). I also offered hand sanitizer to everyone as they walked in the door. We were right at capacity and socially distanced in the room.

It went okay but I am still pissed about having to do it. No one thanked us for the effort either. This was all for a crappy corner gas station/convenience store/fast food combo building.
Why can't Zoom meetings be held? We are still doing these on Zoom.

estromberg

Cyburbian
So Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) has tested positive for Covid-19. However, in reality what he has is an acute case of irony poisoning. What's truly sad in all of this is that he has exposed colleagues and his staff due to his ignorance and arrogance. Seriously. F*ck. This. Guy.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
So Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) has tested positive for Covid-19. However, in reality what he has is an acute case of irony poisoning. What's truly sad in all of this is that he has exposed colleagues and his staff due to his ignorance and arrogance. Seriously. F*ck. This. Guy.

Now let's see if he will wear a mask like he said he would if he got it... :r:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member

Gohmert says he will take hydroxychloroquine for Covid-19 treatment.

I guess that means he won't maskdebate in the House. :oops:

Lowland

Cyburbian
We anticipate a large turnout due to public notices and the nature of a certain project being reviewed, so next week we're having our first outdoor meeting. We're trying to coordinate seating and proper distancing as well as the electronic situation for presentations. I have a great deal of anxiety about how this will go.

TOFB

Cyburbian
We anticipate a large turnout due to public notices and the nature of a certain project being reviewed, so next week we're having our first outdoor meeting. We're trying to coordinate seating and proper distancing as well as the electronic situation for presentations. I have a great deal of anxiety about how this will go.
Let us know how that goes. I have changing job responsibilities and a big part will be increasing public participation in the COVID world. I honestly think nobody cares.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zoom webinar that meeting!

Lowland

Cyburbian
Zoom webinar that meeting!
I personally would love to, but we ran a pilot Zoom meeting (with just the regular non-webinar software) last month and it was less than stellar. I'm lobbying heavily to have our second August meeting utilizing Zoom webinar to have better control and train the commissioners ahead of time, but for this big meeting the higher-ups wanted it in-person. They originally wanted to do it indoors, but that would directly violate state exec orders and several residents voiced concern. Outdoor allows more people to gather and spread out, and luckily we were able to get access to the pavilion in case it rains.

Let us know how that goes. I have changing job responsibilities and a big part will be increasing public participation in the COVID world. I honestly think nobody cares.
I'll follow up Thursday or Friday with details. There's added pressure, as the main municipal board is resistant to changing their meetings in any fashion (they do not want to do virtual meetings via Zoom nor outdoor meetings while the weather is nice). So our Planning Commission meetings are the testing ground to show, "Hey, outdoor and/or digital meetings are functional, safe, and can be run smoothly."

What I really want to say is "Hey, outdoor and/or digital meetings are functional, safe, and legally required since you are not supposed to be holding meetings with more than 10 people, so you really need to accept the reality of this situation and get on board." :r:

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
This dude wants to meet me at a cafe or something about ADUs. I have no idea why. It's pretty simplistic shat that can be described over the phone. I Emailed him back with this:

I am open to meet, however, I will be happy to meet over Microsoft teams, zoom, or good old fashion phone call versus an in person meeting for the health and safety of myself and my household
Their response: "If you can throw out a couple of morning dates ( say 9 or 10am) that work for both of your calendars, that would be great. I think we can keep Zoom as a fallback (I totally understand where you are coming from), but if there is a way to meet face to face outside and socially distanced, that would be preferable"

What part did this person not understand?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Some of the items once in very short supply at the beginning of the pandemic have returned to the shelves. Perhaps not in great quantities, but toilet paper, for example can now be purchased (limit two per customer). I am struck how certain other odd items seem to be sometimes mysteriously in short supply, such as Spam and pizza yeast. The last two times shopping we were unable to buy paper towels.

What are some items still in short supply that you've experienced?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I still can't find yeast.
I understand yeast is and will continue to be in short supply for several months. We lucked out when I managed to score two huge 2 lb. packages of active dry yeast a few weeks ago which were promptly put in the freezer and should see us through the next couple years. But yeah, before that we were scrambling to buy those little three pack envelopes of Red Star or Fleischmann hit or miss (~80% miss) for several months. I recommend getting the largest sized container you can when/if the opportunity presents itself, even you don't think you'll use that much yeast. Worst case scenario is a portion of it goes bad and you're out $5.