• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Coronavirus and other pandemics

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I am starting to get really frustrated in terms of the information that is coming out from multiple resources and how this is becoming so politicized. According to the CDC, more than 90% of COVID-19 deaths had some other health condition that may, or may not, have contributed to their death. But some are taking the news as the virus is no big deal and others are noting that there is almost no one that does not have an underlying condition.

Our governor allows for most places to be open at limited capacity, but will not allow movie theaters or bars to open up. He only allowed Gyms to open up under limited capacity because they were going to open anyways because of a loophole. But no one will provide a clear rationale on how they are determining what opens and what does not.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Co-morbidity is really simple to understand. People know this. Cancer, HIV, car accidents. No one ever said, "Bill didn't die in a car accident, he died from trauma to the heart, liver, and spleen!".

It is sad that our President is continually fueling this extremely stupid information.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Co-morbidity is really simple to understand. People know this. Cancer, HIV, car accidents. No one ever said, "Bill didn't die in a car accident, he died from trauma to the heart, liver, and spleen!".
That is a bit like saying that the leading cause of divorce is marriage.

I just wish the extremists on both sides would just shut up because the truth cannot be heard over the noise of misinformation and lies.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
This reminds me of one of my favorite lines from Family Guy:

Oooh, invite me!!
After Maine, I'm driving through New Brunswick to Nova Scotia. Yep, my lousy Covid-19 resulted in so much testing for antibodes that I have the medical clearance certificates needed to drive into Canada!
Can you even get into Canada though, medical clearances or otherwise? Around here, all the highways leading into Detroit and Port Huron still have big electronic billboards reminding drivers that entry into Canada is still restricted to essential travel only.

Planit

Cyburbian
Sturgis Motorcycle Week; The superspreader event that was.

Can you even get into Canada though, medical clearances or otherwise? Around here, all the highways leading into Detroit and Port Huron still have big electronic billboards reminding drivers that entry into Canada is still restricted to essential travel only.
It's considered to be essential travel because it involves real estate surveillance to accommodate housing for impoverished indigenous peoples.

Planit

Cyburbian
Mask breath is real folks.

Damn, maybe I should downplay this so as not to make y'all panic and run out to buy mints.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian

This makes me boil with rage. I posted about this a month ago that these lowlifes would spread the disease wherever they go. Now the data is showing that they have spread the virus to more than 60% of U. S. Counties and the Dakotas are now the top 2 states for recent infections. What makes me sick is that while DeSantis and Kemp get so much headlines because of their acts of atrocity, the piece of shit governor of South Dakota has flown under the radar. She is one of the most vocal Trump supporters.

I can't state enough how much I hate scumbags like this. Even before Covid, these assholes have been wreaking havoc with impunity, with their noisy, obnoxious, belching machines ruining the peace and quiet everywhere they go. It is known that the are among the most violent criminals anywhere, linked to drug trafficking, sex trafficking, aggravated assault, murder, rape, contract killings, extortion and racketeering. I don't know what it's going to take to take these animals down.

Last edited:

Doohickie

Cyburbian

TCU is in the dark blue zip code. I live in the zip code immediately south of that. (Legend is new cases per 100,000 in the last 30 days, regions are zip codes.)

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
On our daughter's first day of a new job in a restaurant the cook's mom tested positive - he's being tested so we should know today if we all then need to be tested.

So it's a WFH day for me just to keep my office mates safe

these secondary and tertiary connections are really crazy and complicated though - we will get to the point where all of us has had some level connection to someone that has it - it's becoming too prevalent

meanwhile my 85 yo MIL who lives with us just went off in an ambulance with possible congestive heart failure - sever breathing issues so I have to wonder if she has COVID - I assume they will automatically test her at the hospital

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
On our daughter's first day of a new job in a restaurant the cook's mom tested positive - he's being tested so we should know today if we all then need to be tested.

these secondary and tertiary connections are really crazy and complicated though - we will get to the point where all of us has had some level connection to someone that has it - it's becoming too prevalent

meanwhile my 85 yo MIL who lives with us just went off in an ambulance with possible congestive heart failure - sever breathing issues so I have to wonder if she has COVID - I assume they will automatically test her at the hospital
Hang in there LP.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member

Ugh, certainly thinking about you LP.

My dad quarantined because he played pickleball with someone who test positive for COVID. He never was in direct contact, but they played for two hours inside together. Then he was worried so he waiting 7 days (even though he had no symptoms) and got a test - negative. If everyone was like my dad, we would all be in a better place. The fact is though, he is retired and has the luxury of being able to wait it out.

A gentleman who works at the county tested positive and we were all made aware, even though we haven't had direct contact in weeks.

I agree about the connections, as I know so many people that are tested, or could have it, or had it, or went to a place where a person did end up getting it... it is difficult to know what our boundaries and requirements are for letting people know that I potentially, like not, but maybe did open them up to some risk...

Last edited:

kms

Cyburbian

Oh no.
My mom was hospitalized a few weeks ago, and they allowed one person to be with her. My sister went, and it was hard to get complete reports from the hospital. We did everything we could to have Mom discharged. I hope your mother-in-law has a short stay.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I got tested this morning in advance of some upcoming travel. It was ummm, unpleasant but not painful. For me it was like when you're in a heavily chlorinated pool. That burning in your nose sensation. It doesn't hurt, just annoys. But it's over quick. The lady in the car in front of me sneezed many, many times. I could see and hear her. I didn't sneeze but it made my eyes water.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
We’re on our COVID-19 safe road trip through rural and small city New England. Today, we’re in Hyannis. Folks are taking masking seriously around these parts, which is a good thing. Lots of out-of-state plates on the road — but 99% are from the “safe” Northeastern states. Next stop is Portland (the one in Maine, of course), then the White Mountains, and then down through Vermont. We were going to stop in Burlington, but considering the University of Vermont is there, we’re gong to take a pass.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
This makes me boil with rage. I posted about this a month ago that these lowlifes would spread the disease wherever they go. Now the data is showing that they have spread the virus to more than 60% of U. S. Counties and the Dakotas are now the top 2 states for recent infections. What makes me sick is that while DeSantis and Kemp get so much headlines because of their acts of atrocity, the piece of shit governor of South Dakota has flown under the radar. She is one of the most vocal Trump supporters.

I can't state enough how much I hate scumbags like this. Even before Covid, these assholes have been wreaking havoc with impunity, with their noisy, obnoxious, belching machines ruining the peace and quiet everywhere they go. It is known that the are among the most violent criminals anywhere, linked to drug trafficking, sex trafficking, aggravated assault, murder, rape, contract killings, extortion and racketeering. I don't know what it's going to take to take these animals down.
I first read that sarcastically. But now I don't think so. No different than saying all liberals...are assholes. Or conservatives.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
When we were in Buffalo a couple of weeks ago, I still saw a couple of cars with Ontario plates on the road. Today, when we went to one of the beaches at the Cape Cod National Seashore, I saw a car with Ontario plates in the parking lot. Otherwise, around town at home, I’ll see a car with Ontario or Quebec plates around home every couple of days — and I’m really not getting out much.

I’ve seen a bunch of news articles about Canadians harassing dual citizens or essential visitors with New York or Florida plates in their cars, vandalizing cars with American plates, and the like.

I know some Americans are “cheating” by stopping at Banff during a Washington-Alaska transit, or boating to lakeside cottages across the border. Still, the hostility seems like some repressed anti-Americanism bubbling to the surface. Buffalonians weren’t throwing bricks through the windows of cars with Ontario plates when the US and Canada were vice versa with SARS and Southern Ontario got hit hard.

TOFB

Cyburbian

Wow that sucks.

My sister worked as a cook in a County Club. Playing enough gigs at such places told me this had to be horrible. Found out both the GM and head chef were positive and knew it.

She quit on the spot and I hope she sues their asses off.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Masks might help build immunity

Excerpt for those too cheap to subscribe to the NYT:

The unproven idea, described in a commentary [link works!] published Tuesday in the New England Journal of Medicine, is inspired by the age-old concept of variolation, the deliberate exposure to a pathogen to generate a protective immune response. First tried against smallpox, the risky practice eventually fell out of favor, but paved the way for the rise of modern vaccines.
Masked exposures are no substitute for a bona fide vaccine. But data from animals infected with the coronavirus, as well as insights gleaned from other diseases, suggest that masks, by cutting down on the number of viruses that encounter a person’s airway, might reduce the wearer’s chances of getting sick. And if a small number of pathogens still slip through, the researchers argue, these might prompt the body to produce immune cells that can remember the virus and stick around to fight it off again.
“You can have this virus but be asymptomatic,” said Dr. Monica Gandhi, an infectious disease physician at the University of California, San Francisco, and one of the commentary’s authors. “So if you can drive up rates of asymptomatic infection with masks, maybe that becomes a way to variolate the population.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan