• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Coronavirus and other pandemics

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Okay, Confession time....there have been a handful of instances where I've been very glad that I was wearing a mask in the office due to the fact that it conceals some of the shocked, appalled, or annoyed expressions that have no doubt involuntarily manifested themselves on my face on certain occasions.

Heck, I may continue to wear a mask long after the pandemic subsides for this very reason.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
At the Maine Trump rally, someone posted pics of themselves on Facebook with the mask off, with other Republican leaders in the area - the noted person as a chief elected official in a small community and she is an ER nurse who worked a 12 hour shift after the rally - people are up in arms as you might guess - ugh

Trump claims the worsening U.S. coronavirus outbreak is a ‘Fake News Media Conspiracy’ even as hospitalizations rise

My bolding:
On Sunday, the country reported a weekly average of about 68,767 new cases every day, the highest seven-day average recorded yet, according to a CNBC analysis of Hopkins data. The U.S. reported 60,789 new Covid cases Sunday after daily cases reached 83,757 on Friday, passing the last record of roughly 77,300 cases seen on July 16, according to Hopkins data.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
2020 is finding more and more cruel ways to suck all the time.
2021 will be worse. Though it seems so distant now, the first 2.5 months of 2020 were relatively virus free in most of the country (or at least that was the perception). On March 1st, few realized the horrors that would soon be upon us. I don't see things getting any better in 2021 as the entire year will be encompassed by continued Coronavirus infections, high unemployment and, depending upon the outcome of the election, complete civil breakdown.

COVID-19 can disrupt electrical activity in frontal lobes of brain​

A review of research suggests that abnormalities in the front of the brain identified by electroencephalography (EEG) tests are common among patients who have neurological symptoms with COVID-19.
The most common findings that the researchers identified were the slowing of brain waves and abnormal electrical discharges.

The extent of the EEG abnormalities positively correlated with the severity of the disease and whether the patients had preexisting neurological conditions...
. . .
The study identified “diffuse slowing” in the background electrical activity of the whole brain in almost 70% of patients.

Some people who have recovered from COVID-19 report ongoing health problems, now labeled long COVID. Among these is “brain fog.”
. . .
“A lot of people think they will get the illness, get well, and everything will go back to normal, but these findings tell us that there might be long-term issues, which is something we have suspected, and now we are finding more evidence to back that up.”

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
No free pen or pencil for me as I voted absentee a few weeks back.

I wish my community included an "I voted" sticker with our absentee ballot or put a roll of them by the drop box in city hall.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
We were given little "finger condoms" at my polling place. As I said yesterday morning before the polls opened the parking lot was overflowing and the line was at least 200 deep. But when I got there around 3:30pm I was in and out in less than 5 minutes.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I tried to go before work, but there was a line and the parking lot was slam full. I ended up going back a little later and was through in less that 15 minutes. They had the plastic shields up and most everybody wore a mask.

In Europe:
"Millions of minks have been killed since June because they can pass the coronavirus to people"

"Denmark is culling its entire population of minks, up to 17 million across more than 1,000 fur farms, after finding a mutated coronavirus strain circulating among the animals."

"A dozen people have been infected with the [mutated] strain. More than 280,000 Danes in the region where the strain was found went into lockdown Friday, [November 6]."

"...Danish officials warned that the observed mutation could undermine a future vaccine, scientists said there's no reason to panic yet."

"The US, too, saw coronavirus outbreaks among mink farms in Utah, Michigan, and Wisconsin. The government has not recommended [mink] cullings, however, since there's no evidence of minks infecting American farmers."

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
The Dakotas are rapidly pulling away from the pack in terms of number of infections and North Dakota now has the 10th highest death rate with a rate of 84 per 100,000 people. 5 weeks ago, that rate was 36 per 100,000. At this rate, North Dakota will have the highest death rate in the nation by the end of the year.

I blame both governors for their refusal to have a statewide mask mandate as well as the continued fallout from the Sturgis biker rally. They have the blood of thousands on their hands.

Coronavirus Cases by State 2020-11-09a.jpg

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Michigan is starting to impose more restrictions due to increased prevalence of covid. You knew this would happen as soon as it started to get cold again.

DVD

Cyburbian
Work is testing out equipment that monitors wastewater for signs of covid. Let the jokes on that begin. No, I don't know what you do with the information that city hall or the police HQ has covid.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Our governor gave us the warning that we are going to go into timeout, but said we have a week. I fully expect next week that we are going to go back into timeout...

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Indiana announced 6654 new cases today. Governor announced modest retreat yesterday, commencing Sunday. Too little, too late, I fear.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Michigan is starting to impose more restrictions due to increased prevalence of covid. You knew this would happen as soon as it started to get cold again.

And Texas isn't, even as hospital occupancy zooms past 80% of capacity locally, even higher close to the border. But Governor Abbott "trusts us do the right thing." We've proven we're too dumb for that but he doesn't dare impose restrictions.

Last edited:
And Texas isn't, even as hospital occupancy zooms past 80% of capacity locally, even higher close to the border. But Governor Abbott "trusts us do the right thing." We've proven we're dumb for that but he doesn't dare impose restrictions.
We're cranking out about 10,000 new cases a day in Texas. No one cares.

From your local Fort Worth newspaper today:

As coronavirus cases soar, Texas contends with diminished public health influence

Tarrant County’s public health department and top elected officials know behavior must change to slow the rate of coronavirus infection. . . .
But despite their concerns, they are not making any major changes to Tarrant County’s mitigation strategy and they are quick to note their hands are tied. . . While Republican Gov. Greg Abbott maintains nearly all the power for handling coronavirus-related restrictions, they can do little besides offer recommendations, even as infections spiral upward.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
From your local Fort Worth newspaper today:

As coronavirus cases soar, Texas contends with diminished public health influence

The sheer amount blood on Abbott's hands is incalculable. He is a monster that is responsible for the deaths of thousands of people...even more murderous than Kemp and DeSantis. Why he is still Governor instead of being in jail for thousands of counts of murder and attempted murder is beyond comprehension.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Fort Worth is the largest American city with a Republican mayor but the county went blue for Biden and I think Betsy Price's days are numbered. She was okay when she was a local mayor, but the status of Fort Worth as the largest Republican run city meant that she got pulled into the national orbit and didn't seem to mind cozying up to Trump. It's not a good look for her.

Her handling of the pandemic can best be described as anemic.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
So what you are saying is that masks work? But you fought it for a long time...Got it. Who would have guessed? I mean you are only doing this because you were completely wrong and allowed a lot of people to get sick because you were wrong.

Gov. Doug Burgum’s executive order Friday night came as a surprise and only hours before the state recorded new daily records for hospitalizations and infections. Throughout the pandemic, the former software executive had been leaving it to individuals to take personal responsibility for slowing the spread of the virus, beseeching the public during his weekly press briefings to wear masks but emphasizing a “light touch” by government.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
So what you are saying is that masks work? But you fought it for a long time...Got it. Who would have guessed? I mean you are only doing this because you were completely wrong and allowed a lot of people to get sick because you were wrong.

Too little, too late. But South Dakota is even worse. It is the only state in the union that doesn't have some kind of mask requirement.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
I guess Mississippi is the place to be right now. They have far and away the lowest rate of infection and it's been steadily decreasing since at least July.

U.S.  RT Rate 2020-11-16.jpgMississippi RT Rate 2020-11-16.jpg

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
We're going through our FIFTH wave here. Not a typo.

5th_wave_covid19.png

It's still not as bad as what you'd find outside the Northeast, but we're grocery shopping through Instacart again. I was starting to go into the office three or four days a week -- I only have to be in one day a week -- but with the 'rona coming back, I'm a bit uneasy about it. However, if I'm at home, it'll be tough to concentrate. This week, we have both painters/spacklers and exterminators over. I'm wearing a mask inside my own damn house.

(Long story. Unbeknownst to us, the crawl space under our house became a rat colony. One of them died in the walls. They're digging their way in under the foundation. We don't have a food or water source, but the exterminators suspect some neighbor might have a poorly maintained compost pile;; we're just providing the lodging. They see it a lot, with composting being a way of life in this hippie town. Getting the rats out, repairing the damage, and rodent-proofing is going to set us back the cost of a nice European vacation, not that we were planning on going anywhere anytime soon. Fuuuuuuuuuu)

My wife got a new job in the County Next Door. Half the population of the county where we live, but 30% more total cases since this all started.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a Schitt's Creek "Ew Covid" mask with David's top half of his head on it for today as I forgot my nice professional ones and I keep this one as a spare in my purse (in a plastic baggie) so there's that

my sister told that Onondaga County Director-whatever isn't going to contact trace or track anymore - what's up with that

Bubba

Cyburbian
(Long story. Unbeknownst to us, the crawl space under our house became a rat colony. One of them died in the walls. They're digging their way in under the foundation. We don't have a food or water source, but the exterminators suspect some neighbor might have a poorly maintained compost pile;; we're just providing the lodging. They see it a lot, with composting being a way of life in this hippie town. Getting the rats out, repairing the damage, and rodent-proofing is going to set us back the cost of a nice European vacation, not that we were planning on going anywhere anytime soon. Fuuuuuuuuuu)

Urf, that sucks. We had squirrels chew their way in through the eaves at our previous house - getting them out and rodent proofing the house wasn't fun.

The nice European vacation thing - the rise of the Covids screwed us out of a damn nice vacation we'd started planning for our 25th anniversary - the flip side of that is saving that money means we'll be able to take a damn nicer one if/when things get back to sort of normal.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Thursday evening our school district alerted us that they would be going back all virtual as of yesterday. Middle school and high school had never started in-person classes and only one of the elementary schools had had more than a couple of reported cases and had to have a bunch of people quarantine but they have run out of substitutes for the in-person staff when needed and a couple of the bus drivers had to quarantine as well. They are going to re-evaluate the situation every two weeks, but looking at the way the numbers are rising around the state, my wife and I aren't too hopeful that we'll be back to in person before the Christmas break.

FWIW, we seem to be one of the last districts in our area to go back to all virtual classes for all grades. There are a couple of districts here that had had a couple outbreaks that have caused quarantines for huge swaths of their student and staff populations. The district where my office is located had more than 500+ students in some form of quarantine a couple of weeks ago.

A friend of mine is a teacher in the district that we went to as kids. He was posting in our fantasy football message board yesterday that he's working from home all this week instead of teaching in the classroom because that district went to all virtual for the week for all kids because they too have run out of substitutes.

The district where we live has sent out a couple emails to parents asking them to consider becoming substitute teachers this year.

I had heard that a lot of teachers decided to retire early this year instead of coming back to the classrooms and that many retirees who would normally come back as subs were not doing so but now I can see it more closely.

my sister told that Onondaga County Director-whatever isn't going to contact trace or track anymore - what's up with that
Here's your answer (I think):

Coronavirus is so widespread, Onondaga County will no longer list exposure locations
Going forward, [County Executive Ryan] McMahon says he’ll be providing case information about case transmissions in three categories: Local transmission, cases related to travel, and cases in senior facilities. . .

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Two of our four kids went back to (hybrid) in-person learning within the past week. I'm curious to see how long it lasts. :oops:

Planit

Cyburbian
The Girl's club soccer team has just been 'paused' for 2 weeks due to a player on the other team we played last Saturday testing positive.

There's 15 pissed off 17 year olds right now (+ a couple coaches & parents).