• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Health 🏥 Coronavirus and other pandemics

Lowland

Cyburbian
Overheard our head elected and my assistant director talking about hoping to open up to the public again next week. We just closed to the public two weeks ago to coincide with the state's guidelines, and I have a feeling if those are not extended, our elected officials are keen to "get back to normal." :| :indifferrent:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of my closest friends is waiting for her test - her 16 yo son tested positive. He had spent last weekend with his dad and new girlfriend who both tested positive this past Monday. It's kind of a mess because they didn't tell my friend they were testing so her son went to school (our HS is hybrid and he goes in) Monday and Tuesday so it wasn't until yesterday that they told her they tested and were positive. So she immediately took her son for a rapid test that came back positive. She immediately told the school. The hospital did the longer test with her so she doesn't know yet but she's presumed positive and is home isolating.

Some social media and texting is going around that is panicked and angry at my friend's son. My friend would have kept him home the last few days if she had known her ex and his girlfriend were testing, of course. But to even blame her ex at this point is a little crazy because it's so community spread on the island now that contact tracing is crazy - her ex doesn't know where he got it even.

so the point being that in these smaller rural communities, the meanness and finger pointing is raging during COVID - very sad

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
My hometown decided to have a tree lighting ceremony even after the chamber, who usually pays for and puts on the event, backed out because the county health department said it was a terrible idea. They had the event and there are now photos of 1,500 people, many/most without masks "celebrating" the lighting of a tree.

Why? An event such as that should be REALLY easy to not have this year. I am continually amazed at how selfish people are.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
In Marfa in west Texas,
Meanwhile, some residents are increasingly concerned that tourism in the area is exacerbating the spread of the disease, as the area has continued to rely on visitors to buoy its economy. Signs posted around town this week offered cutting words to visitors, sending messages like “tourism kills,” “everyone here hates you,” and “This town chooses your dollars over the safety of the people that live here. So make sure you get a tote bag.”

Veloise

Cyburbian
Our state's AG:
View attachment 49740

My newest FB friend:
View attachment 49736 View attachment 49739 View attachment 49738

Thinking that this feel-good story needs more attention, I've spent a few minutes contacting Detroit-area media. Oh, and the AP reporter who interviewed me (about absentee voting) in October.
Bingo.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

"Can your boss fire you for refusing to get a COVID-19 vaccine? Yes."​

Article noted some possible exceptions (my bolding):
[W]orkers who don’t want to be vaccinated due to medical reasons — protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

If religious beliefs would be violated by vaccination, it’s possible an employee could be covered under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Unionized workers may also be able to negotiate with employers.

Rogge Dunn, a Dallas labor and employment attorney, told CNBC many of his corporate clients are leaning toward making vaccines mandatory.

“Under the law, an employer can force an employee to get vaccinated, and if they don’t take it, fire them,” said Dunn.

Dunn says that some businesses, like one of his restaurant clients, think being able to say all of its employees have been vaccinated could be good for business.
. . .
While this may be more about luring customers than employee safety, it’s nonetheless within an employer’s right to require it, he said.

Planit

Cyburbian
"One day it's like a miracle, it will disappear." — President Donald Trump about the coronavirus February 27.

"I see the disinfectant that knocks it out in a minute, one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning?" — Trump during a White House Coronavirus Task Force news briefing on April 23.

“I came up with vaccines that people didn’t think we’d have for five years,” - Trump said in a Fox News interview on November 16.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Our church is continuing to meet outside through the entire winter. This past Sunday, it was 40 degrees - the coldest it's been yet. We dressed PeachFuzz in his little puffy snow pants and coat, and he was fine. We meet under a pavilion at the park, and will be moving to a peach orchard after Christmas.

We bring our own chairs. Everyone wears masks before and after the service and during singing (except small children). Since it's cold now, most people just leave them on regardless to help keep our faces warm. Everyone's really respectful about social distancing, so I feel like it's being done safely. And they are still broadcasting everything through Zoom.

We're a small-ish church, so we're able to manage it logistically a little easier than larger churches. We've had quite a few new families start attending since the pandemic started, though, just because everyone was longing for physical interaction with others and we're one of the few churches that are both abiding by the safety protocols and also meeting in person.

dw914er

Cyburbian
The majority of California has entered into another shutdown, however, you wouldn't know it from where I'm at.

There's been a few staff members that have been inconspicuously absent - but the rest of us are all still here and still open to the public.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
CCG's mom sent us a heart-wrenching email last week about how she regrets not being able to spend more time with PeachFuzz and how they want to come for an outdoor visit around Christmas, etc. After some discussion, CCG emailed her back and said that as long as they take every precaution (masks, hand sanitizing, etc. - his dad has not been great about doing this), we would schedule something with them. Then yesterday she emails us that they're going to take an anniversary trip to the beach in NC from the 19th to the 23rd. Which means that I'm not going to be around them for at least two weeks after that.

The thing is that they're not really quarantining and they're going to a church that has returned to meeting indoors. So I'm already really nervous about spending any time with them in any capacity, outside or not. I do feel bad that they're missing out on being able to spend time with their first grandchild. But if they're not on the same page as we are, I just don't feel like it's responsible for any of us to be interacting with them. This period of our lives just kind of sucks for everyone, and we'll make up for it when it's safe. But for now, if you want to see your grandchild, you're going to have to stop acting like things are normal and fine.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Man Florida has a terrible governor...

Whatever happened to personal choice? When did these Republican governors decide they liked power that is centralized at the top? Why can't cities make up their own mind about whether to have in person meetings or not? I miss the libertarian bent of the republican party.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
CCG's mom sent us a heart-wrenching email last week about how she regrets not being able to spend more time with PeachFuzz and how they want to come for an outdoor visit around Christmas, etc. After some discussion, CCG emailed her back and said that as long as they take every precaution (masks, hand sanitizing, etc. - his dad has not been great about doing this), we would schedule something with them. Then yesterday she emails us that they're going to take an anniversary trip to the beach in NC from the 19th to the 23rd. Which means that I'm not going to be around them for at least two weeks after that.

The thing is that they're not really quarantining and they're going to a church that has returned to meeting indoors. So I'm already really nervous about spending any time with them in any capacity, outside or not. I do feel bad that they're missing out on being able to spend time with their first grandchild. But if they're not on the same page as we are, I just don't feel like it's responsible for any of us to be interacting with them. This period of our lives just kind of sucks for everyone, and we'll make up for it when it's safe. But for now, if you want to see your grandchild, you're going to have to stop acting like things are normal and fine.
Your MIL needs to grow up. Your approach to her/their interactions with your child during a pandemic is right on target.

She made a choice to put a trip to the beach over a visit with her grandchild, so she needs to understand and accept the consequences of her choice. During a pandemic, it's never all about yourself.

Bubba

Cyburbian
During a pandemic, it's never all about yourself.

Something like that. I had a interesting conversation with one of my junior folks yesterday after I tasked her with making a site visit next week. She had some hesitance about it, mostly because she had wanted to more or less self quarantine in her apartment for two full weeks prior to Christmas Day (something about making sure her brother's girlfriend wouldn't freak out about her spending the day with them on Christmas)…I understand the sentiment, but there were apparently several things she hadn't considered when balking at the assignment:

1. The City is our client for this project, they own the property, and they will provide access to it on their schedule.
2. We write your paychecks.
3. You have no clue what we've done since March to keep you employed.
4. The site visit will be conducted under a safety plan consistent with the firm's Covid policies and individually approved at the vice president level.
5. I'm sending a senior employee with you to run interference with the City representatives so you can do your work unhindered.

Kids, I swear...

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Your MIL needs to grow up. Your approach to her/their interactions with your child during a pandemic is right on target.

She made a choice to put a trip to the beach over a visit with her grandchild, so she needs to understand and accept the consequences of her choice. During a pandemic, it's never all about yourself.

Thanks. Sometimes I feel like I'm constantly being gaslit. Like we're taking extreme precautions that are completely unnecessary at the risk of our relationships with important people.

Our relationship with CCG's parents is a little challenging in general for other reasons, so I'm trying to always do gut-checks to make sure that I'm not responding unnecessarily harshly. But no matter how careful they are while they're traveling, they're still traveling to a tourist destination in the middle of a global pandemic WHILE THERE IS A HUGE SPIKE IN CASES.

CCG is totally supportive of taking all the precautions at least. So it's not like we're in disagreement. I just feel like I'm a major reason that there's so much distance between him and his parents now more generally (largely for reasons not related to the pandemic - there were some problematic dynamics in their relationship that he has come to realize since we got married), and often I feel some guilt about that. So it helps to hear from more objective sources that we're being responsible and not over-reacting. :)

Planit

Cyburbian
Gov. Cooper is trying everything in the tool box EXCEPT shutting things down. Yet he continues to be harassed.

Gov. DeSantis fits into the mold of tRump & thinks he has unyielding power.

Peach, keep on doing what you're doing & just watch the 'Guilt Trip Parents' sketch from SNL last week.

We're doing more site visits because City Hall is closed to the public.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

CDC’s Redfield told staff to delete email, official tells House watchdog​

instructed staff to delete an email from a Trump political appointee seeking control over the agency’s scientific reports on the pandemic, a senior CDC official told congressional investigators this week.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The refrigerated trucks have arrived in Tarrant County (where I reside) and are parked outside the medical examiner's office. They have room for 100 bodies and currently have 85. They expect to use the trucks in the next several days. The trucks can accommodate another 100. This is not good news.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
The refrigerated trucks have arrived in Tarrant County (where I reside) and are parked outside the medical examiner's office. They have room for 100 bodies and currently have 85. They expect to use the trucks in the next several days. The trucks can accommodate another 100. This is not good news.
That is both scary and sad

Veloise

Cyburbian
Today I started a clinical trial. Didn't know the name, let alone the cool logo (will 'shop in some better bass content). Along with the compensation, there's an oximeter, thermometer, and a tote bag.

View attachment 49782

View attachment 49783
My latest windmill to to tilt at: anti-vaxers whining about conspiracy, Tuskegee, "don't trust" whatever company. (Seriously, any pharmaceutical company that wants to remain in business is going to be researching this vaccine. And doing clinical trials. No, they didn't "just start" their effort.)

J&J Ensemble has started making posts requesting Black participation, and others besides me are explaining that.
Random caucasian: "why is it always about race?"
me: they need folks from all populations to participate. There may be genetic issues that would require modifying the compound to make it more effective and safe for different demographics.
I'm in the clinical trial; they requested a list of all my medications because there might be a reaction. They asked for all health issues and other characteristics.
A trial that works extremely well on aging boomers who cycle and play wind instruments might not be beneficial for the entire population.
It's not "about race."

FWIW, the compound for my trial is a single shot, and it requires less arduous effort to keep it extremely cold.
Also, I think I got the placebo; zero side effects

Doohickie

Cyburbian
And I got caught up in some threads on FB about the pandemic. Heaven help me.

(People are morons)

"Mind your own business and ignore mine."

"I would love to, but when you're in a public health crisis, what one does affects all. When we as a society get our collective act together I will happily ignore your business."

gtpeach

Cyburbian
My latest windmill to to tilt at: anti-vaxers whining about conspiracy, Tuskegee, "don't trust" whatever company. (Seriously, any pharmaceutical company that wants to remain in business is going to be researching this vaccine. And doing clinical trials. No, they didn't "just start" their effort.)

J&J Ensemble has started making posts requesting Black participation, and others besides me are explaining that.
Random caucasian: "why is it always about race?"
me: they need folks from all populations to participate. There may be genetic issues that would require modifying the compound to make it more effective and safe for different demographics.
I'm in the clinical trial; they requested a list of all my medications because there might be a reaction. They asked for all health issues and other characteristics.
A trial that works extremely well on aging boomers who cycle and play wind instruments might not be beneficial for the entire population.
It's not "about race."

FWIW, the compound for my trial is a single shot, and it requires less arduous effort to keep it extremely cold.
Also, I think I got the placebo; zero side effects
I think there does need to be some serious consideration to the perception from minority communities as to how safe the vaccine is. I have well-educated friends who, while generally supportive of all the other safety precautions, are very nervous about being prioritized for the vaccine due to the history of using minority populations to test treatments.

I don't believe it's an issue with the science or about trying to get the vaccines to the communities that are being affected the heaviest first; it's 100% about not having spent the time and resources to build trust with these populations.

Veloise

Cyburbian
I think there does need to be some serious consideration to the perception from minority communities as to how safe the vaccine is. I have well-educated friends who, while generally supportive of all the other safety precautions, are very nervous about being prioritized for the vaccine due to the history of using minority populations to test treatments.

I don't believe it's an issue with the science or about trying to get the vaccines to the communities that are being affected the heaviest first; it's 100% about not having spent the time and resources to build trust with these populations.
One of the loudest complainers was a white dude. Several of us recognized Tuskegee, pointed out that the cohort in the trial had variety (except for age in my group). Johnson & Johnson is running ads featuring prominent Black folks in an attempt to round out the tested population.
A couple posters mentioned that the city of Detroit, for instance, has been very strongly affected by the pandemic.
I'm pleased to read comments from fellow trials volunteers.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Anyone else seeing the articles about financial advisor, Dave Ramsey, and his 1,000 person indoor maskless Christmas soiree? I wonder how he will spin it to blame any of the party attenders that get COVID and have major health expenses that they can't cover to make it their fault?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Anyone else seeing the articles about financial advisor, Dave Ramsey, and his 1,000 person indoor maskless Christmas soiree? I wonder how he will spin it to blame any of the party attenders that get COVID and have major health expenses that they can't cover to make it their fault?

No but if that's the case his stock just took a big dive in my book.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We've got a few friends, all who work on the front lines, who are scheduled to get their first dose of the vaccine this week. One is a PA out in Seattle and she's getting her shot on Friday and the other two people we know are PAs here in Detroit at a major hospital system.

My FIL was supposed to go in for an annual physical this week but his doctor called him and told him that if he reschedules until next week, he will have shots available for him and my MIL. They are both over 70 and in a rather rural part of our metro so I imagine it's easier to get the shots there than in more populous counties where they've got a lot more health care workers and people in assisted living homes to get through.

It makes the light at the end of the tunnel that much brighter actually knowing people who will be getting the shot soon.

No but if that's the case his stock just took a big dive in my book.

It's hard to fall below 0 in my book.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Vaccine #2 is up for approval this week, and this morning I spent some time filling in worriers and uninformeds.
No, your GP probably doesn't know everything about it, so asking if it will affect your prior condition will not yield helpful details.
Yes, there are more vaccines coming out soon. (I'm in a clinical trial for one.)
Feel free to state your opinion that "America won't accept it" but read all the comments from fellow Americans who are eager to get theirs.
No, it won't alter your DNA. Your ancestors did that for you.
Yeah, the news articles don't "tH@nK tRuMp" because that's irrelevant to this discussion.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The county just to our west is the 8th worst county for Covid in the nation. More than 1.6% of their residents have tested positive in the last two weeks. Heaven help them. (Of course, as a county with a smaller city, Weatherford, as their seat, it means their sick will overflow into our hospitals shortly :( )

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Three positives on our floor. Two I rarely have any interaction with. One closer but still distant. Concerned that they are apparently not going to do a "deep clean". Seems ... sketchy to me.

I am due to stop WFH Thursday for my week in the office. Not sure how I plan to proceed at this point. Most likely make a show of wiping down everything -- I mean EVERYTHING -- in my suite where she might have been.

Three positives on our floor. Two I rarely have any interaction with. One closer but still distant. Concerned that they are apparently not going to do a "deep clean". Seems ... sketchy to me.

Are you going to be tested for latent (or asymptomatic) Covid? And have you ever gotten a test to see if you already have antibodies?
When people get the test results, they usually get a much greater feeling of relief than they thought they would.

Snow leopard at Kentucky zoo tests positive for coronavirus, two others showing symptoms​

The cats were likely infected by an asymptomatic staff member, despite precautions that included caretakers wearing personal protective equipment, officials said.

[T]he risk of infected animals spreading the virus to humans is considered to be low and the zoo remains open, though the snow leopard exhibit is closed while the cats recover.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
The county just to our west is the 8th worst county for Covid in the nation. More than 1.6% of their residents have tested positive in the last two weeks. Heaven help them. (Of course, as a county with a smaller city, Weatherford, as their seat, it means their sick will overflow into our hospitals shortly :( )
I understand that ICU beds are getting harder to find in our area. A few local hospitals have maxed out but there are still beds within the region and state wide.

My wife is scheduled to get the first of two shots for the vaccine tomorrow afternoon. She works the Covid unit at the psychiatric hospital, so she's up on the list. Some of her coworkers are refusing the vaccine. With the regular flu vaccine, their staff can either take the vaccine or wear a mask for the entire flu season; however, I am not sure what policies that they have in place for the covid vaccine.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
North Dakota now has the 4th highest death rate in the country. Two months ago, it was #23 with a rate of 53 per 100,000. Now the death rate is almost 3X that rate at 154. I predict it will have the highest death rate by the middle of January, dislodging New Jersey which has held the top spot for many months.

North Dakota already has the highest infection rate at over 11,000 with South Dakota right behind it. Most of the top states for infection had lax mask requirements.

Death Rates by State 2020-12-16a.jpg
Coronavirus Cases by State 2020-12-16a.jpg
Cases Per Inhabitants - North America 2020-12-13.jpg

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone else had a drastically reduced receipt of shared food gifts this year from engineers, attorneys and real estate agents? We usually get boxed candy, Harry & David stuff, homemade cookies and this year, we only received one Harry & David box from a local engineer (I put out small paper cups so people could safely partake)

The last time I saw this was in the recessions or yore but this year, I think it's the pandemic because these firms have been doing just fine up here in the pandemic...

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I think it's just the pandemic. And the ability to blame not doing certain things on the pandemic. I've seen that in lots of areas of my work. It's like if you say "COVID" you're absolved from any accountability. Do your freaking job! Anyway, like you the engineers and consultants here are absolutely booming. They can't hire enough people.

Veloise

Cyburbian
From a group called Michiganders Surviving COVID-19 Together

My colleagues and I at U-M need your help!
As we prepare to communicate to the public about COVID-19 vaccination, we want to hear all the conspiracy theories and scary claims that you've heard or seen about the vaccines that are now available or are being developed.
Then, we'll consult our experts to create a Mythbusters campaign to educate the public.
We hope to help our amazing partners in state and county/city public health agencies combat misinformation. Email me at kegavin@umich.edu if you'd rather not post a claim or link in a comment! Thanks in advance.

Someone contributed:

In no particular order:​
- It was created too fast and it can't possibly be safe. Other vaccines take years to develop and test.​
- We don't know the long-term effects it might have.​
- If you get it, why do you care if other people choose not to, since you'll be protected?​
- The crazy microchip/rfid chip conspiracies.​
- COVID is like a cold, and you can't vaccinate against a cold, so this isn't going to work.​
- Lots yesterday about the woman who had the allergic reaction yesterday and how there's no way that it's safe because one woman had a reaction.​
- That vaccine immunity isn't as good as "natural" immunity​
- That there is no point, because COVID antibodies only last a few months​
- "You guys can be first. I'll wait a few years until we really see what comes of it before I get in line."​
- Memes that boil down to "You just keep doing what they tell you" - i.e. "We have to get the vaccine, but we also have to stay home and keep wearing masks, so really they're just trying to control you"​
- Lots about Bells Palsy (without the addition info that 3 people in the vaccine group displayed Bells Palsy, as did 1 in the placebo group)​

One of my contributions:

"wHy c@n'T tHey CuRe c@ncEr??"
Edit: on such posts, I point out that cancers are caused by various factors, including environmental issues and genetics. (A cousin died at 42 due to toxicity from being an aircraft mechanic.) Cancer is a moving target and affects different organs; it's not OSFA

gtpeach

Cyburbian
One of my aunts shared the video this article discusses from Parler onto Facebook, which I thought was funny. It sounds like it was just really unfortunate timing that this nurse fainted mid-press conference, but stuff like this certainly isn't going to help those that are nervous about the vaccine even if there is a perfectly reasonable explanation. I've already seen the comment that "she probably had to say that or she'd lose her job" responses.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I have the opportunity to get the vaccine in the near future. Our unit will be one of the high priorities.

Three of my f@cknut colleagues are out on quarantine. F@cknut #1 was exposed to a positive and placed on quarantine. She received 2 negative Covid tests. Apparently she and two of our other nurses got together while #1 was on quarantine. Well guess who tested positive? #1. Now F@cknut #2 and F@cknut #3 are out on quarantine.

So we are down 3 nurses (during a pandemic) because they were bored and lonely.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I feel like if you live in North Dakota, you have COVID at this point
South Dakota is right behind, which is ironic because Dan Forrest, who ran against and lost to our current governor was endorsed by Governor Noem of South Dakota. The caption under the picture of them together stated...

Unlike Governors of other states, Gov. Noem has been able to keep her citizens safe while growing the economy. That's leadership, and that's what she sees in Dan Forest.