• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Health 🏥 Coronavirus and other pandemics

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Has anyone else had a drastically reduced receipt of shared food gifts this year from engineers, attorneys and real estate agents? We usually get boxed candy, Harry & David stuff, homemade cookies and this year, we only received one Harry & David box from a local engineer (I put out small paper cups so people could safely partake)

The last time I saw this was in the recessions or yore but this year, I think it's the pandemic because these firms have been doing just fine up here in the pandemic...

We wouldn't know if we had gotten any gift baskets this year since nobody is ever in the office to partake! I have a feeling that a few baskets are still trickling in (still probably much less than in normal times) but whoever the few people that are actually in the office on the day it arrives probably quick scavenge all the good stuff out of it and if they were something like fresh baked pastries (there are a couple firms that send us fresh cookies and breads every year) the leftovers probably get tossed the next morning if the cleaning crew didn't finish them off.

I'm not planning to be back in my office until January 7th so anything left will be long gone by that point!

In other office holiday/COVID related news: I usually receive about 10 or 15 holiday cards, sometimes with little pieces of candy, on my desk at work from coworkers. I enjoy the cards but I've never reciprocated and given a coworker a card in return. However, this year a few coworkers actually mailed their cards to me and my family at home. This has caused a dangerous precedent to be set because my wife insists that we send a card to anybody who sends one to us. So now those coworkers are going to expect cards from me in the future too. :ttth:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Has anyone else had a drastically reduced receipt of shared food gifts this year from engineers, attorneys and real estate agents? We usually get boxed candy, Harry & David stuff, homemade cookies and this year, we only received one Harry & David box from a local engineer (I put out small paper cups so people could safely partake)

The last time I saw this was in the recessions or yore but this year, I think it's the pandemic because these firms have been doing just fine up here in the pandemic.

The last time I saw this was in the recessions or yore but this year, I think it's the pandemic because these firms have been doing just fine up here in the pandemic...
That is probably due to the down turn in the economy and the virus in general.

Bubba

Cyburbian
My sister-in-law, bless her heart, missed out on any genetic gift of common sense, and she works at a place that probably no kid aspires to for a career, which at times can be a recipe for disaster. Her office decided to have an in-person holiday lunch out at some restaurant, which she went to, and the person she ended up sitting next to tested positive for The Covids the following day.

Lowland

Cyburbian
Making the trek down-state today to drop xmas gifts off at relatives' place. My sister and brother-in-law drove in from out of town, but I had a series of hard talks with my mother about us staying home and doing Zoom for xmas morning. I think she understands finally, but we'll see how she is when I show up in a mask to drop presents on the porch...

She's been so good about everything else throughout the pandemic, for the most part. But Christmas was just the one thing she didn't want to accept was going to be affected.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
CCG had already told his parents that we weren't planning on visits anytime soon. Even outside and masked. My father-in-law has not been great about wearing his mask appropriately around PeachFuzz and we're not super confident on the preventative measures they're taking.

My mom, who is practicing an abundance of caution came up on Christmas day to drop off a few gifts for PeachFuzz. I told her she couldn't post any photos on social media with him just because I didn't want to stir up any drama about why we let her visit and not them. But she was only here for about 20 minutes. That's the first we'd seen her since we dropped by to drop off some treats and let her see PeachFuzz's costume for Halloween.

CCG's parents asked three times in the last three days if they could come up to visit this upcoming weekend. They just got back from a trip to the beach on the 23rd, which makes me really nervous. I know the visit would be outside (and it's not exactly warm right now), and I know the risk is fairly low, and I told CCG that they could come if they maintained at least a six foot distance and didn't interact with PeachFuzz at all. But he told them straight out that we weren't planning visits right now since cases are surging.

I'm both relieved and feel guilty. We are still going to church when it's warm enough (which is outside, masked, and socially distanced). I think the difference is no one there tries to touch us or PeachFuzz, and everyone keeps their masks on before and after the service (and while singing).

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
A friend of ours told their cousin they couldn’t come over for Christmas Eve because they’re anti-mask & are traveling all over (just got back from beach). They showed up anyway & were denied entry.

We were told it got ugly.

kms

Cyburbian
A friend of ours told their cousin they couldn’t come over for Christmas Eve because they’re anti-mask & are traveling all over (just got back from beach). They showed up anyway & were denied entry.

We were told it got ugly.
That's a shame.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1609176429839.png

To me, this cartoon sums up the validity of any anti-masker view I've ever heard.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I’ve been surprised here in Trump country, with how many people have masked up. Then I extended my bubble a bit to shop for Christmas, and was dismayed at how many people were unmasked.

the grandfather and two grandsons at Target were the most disappointing. The kids were definitely old enough (13-14) to know better. Disappointed at all of the merchants for not confronting these people

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Disappointed at all of the merchants for not confronting these people

I get what you're saying but have you seen how some people react? I don't think you should be putting some front-line sales clerk in the position of having to deal with and try to enforce that. People are nuts. Most people wear their masks and if people don't everyone gives them a wide berth. People have literally been killed for asking someone to wear a mask. So I think the best we can do is to advise that masks are required in whatever establishment and hope for the best.

kms

Cyburbian
I get what you're saying but have you seen how some people react? I don't think you should be putting some front-line sales clerk in the position of having to deal with and try to enforce that. People are nuts. Most people wear their masks and if people don't everyone gives them a wide berth. People have literally been killed for asking someone to wear a mask. So I think the best we can do is to advise that masks are required in whatever establishment and hope for the best.
I've been saying this since March. The government issued restrictions and left it up to people with no law enforcement experience to enforce.

Some went on big ego trips while they demanded patrons wear masks. That's just asking for trouble at a time when people are stressed, scared or defiant.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Given the situation in California; the dire predictions of post holiday travel - I would have gone through 3 airports & 2 flights.
Mom in her senior complex was on lock down - isolation in their apt. so I couldn't even see her.
I am glad I did not travel at Christmas.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Target can certainly afford to hire a security guard to stand at the entrance and deal with people refusing to comply with store policy. I agree it is harder in smaller establishments, but that’s where owners/managers have to step up.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
How many people here are over age 41?

Sad and scary:

Louisiana Congressman-elect Luke Letlow, 41, dies from coronavirus complications; 'we're all in disbelief'

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

Los Angeles is America’s new coronavirus hot spot. Urban sprawl might’ve played a role.​

“The other problem with car culture is people aren’t connecting on a daily basis with those around them, which doesn’t help their mental health.”

“The pandemic has sent a clear message to urban planners that we need more trails, outdoor play areas for children, and public parks in places where people don’t have gardens or convenient access to outdoor space.”

Veloise

Cyburbian
From a group called Michiganders Surviving COVID-19 Together

My colleagues and I at U-M need your help!
As we prepare to communicate to the public about COVID-19 vaccination, we want to hear all the conspiracy theories and scary claims that you've heard or seen about the vaccines that are now available or are being developed.
Then, we'll consult our experts to create a Mythbusters campaign to educate the public.
We hope to help our amazing partners in state and county/city public health agencies combat misinformation. Email me at kegavin@umich.edu if you'd rather not post a claim or link in a comment! Thanks in advance.

Someone contributed:

In no particular order:​
- It was created too fast and it can't possibly be safe. Other vaccines take years to develop and test.​
- We don't know the long-term effects it might have.​
- If you get it, why do you care if other people choose not to, since you'll be protected?​
- The crazy microchip/rfid chip conspiracies.​
- COVID is like a cold, and you can't vaccinate against a cold, so this isn't going to work.​
- Lots yesterday about the woman who had the allergic reaction yesterday and how there's no way that it's safe because one woman had a reaction.​
- That vaccine immunity isn't as good as "natural" immunity​
- That there is no point, because COVID antibodies only last a few months​
- "You guys can be first. I'll wait a few years until we really see what comes of it before I get in line."​
- Memes that boil down to "You just keep doing what they tell you" - i.e. "We have to get the vaccine, but we also have to stay home and keep wearing masks, so really they're just trying to control you"​
- Lots about Bells Palsy (without the addition info that 3 people in the vaccine group displayed Bells Palsy, as did 1 in the placebo group)​

One of my contributions:

"wHy c@n'T tHey CuRe c@ncEr??"
Edit: on such posts, I point out that cancers are caused by various factors, including environmental issues and genetics. (A cousin died at 42 due to toxicity from being an aircraft mechanic.) Cancer is a moving target and affects different organs; it's not OSFA
Here's the result of all the rumor collection and dispelling. Parts of it are fun to read.

FACT: The COVID-19 vaccines do not contain a live or whole coronavirus, microchips, tracer technology, fetal tissue, stem cells, mercury, aluminum, luciferase, the Mark of the Beast, pork products or preservatives

People with concerns about being traced or tracked should focus their concern on technology used in smartphones, social media sites and web browsers.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
The State has not been super clear on where I stand in the vacation priority list. Our firefighters and first responders got theirs a week ago. Police is this week, but at the rate this is going, I might be in August.

My biggest concern is the narrow priority windows and them cracking open the vaccines and not having enough people in that group to use 100% of that rotation. If there was a way for me to get on the "Call Me" list, I would gladly cut in line to make sure a dose does not go to waste.

A Catholic friend told me over the weekend that they are not getting it because it is against their religion to which I pointed out that the Vatican has already ruled that it is ok.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
A Catholic friend told me over the weekend that they are not getting it because it is against their religion to which I pointed out that the Vatican has already ruled that it is ok.

Man, that is eye roll worthy right there. Have they also objected to vaccines for measles, mumps, smallpox etc.? I think Chris Rock said it best yesterday: "I don't know what's in Tylenol either but it makes my headache go away. I eat a Big Mac and I don't know what's in it."

On another note, yesterday I went to Kroger. There was this couple, I'd say mid to late 50's not wearing masks. Everyone else was wearing but them. People gave them a very wide berth. And I don't think it was so much for not wearing masks but for the absolutely obvious expression on their faces that they were just hoping to God that someone would say something so they could have a confrontation. They were even talking really loudly to each other so people would look at them. Again, it was so obvious. So in case there was any doubt; I'm THAT guy. IDGAF. I pushed my cart right at him and caught his eye. Shook my head slowly and snorted derisively, sort of an unspoken "Bless your heart". Little wuss didn't say a word.

Last edited:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
On another note, yesterday I went to Kroger. There was this couple, I'd say mid to late 50's not wearing masks. Everyone else was wearing but them. People gave them a very wide berth. And I don't think it was so much for not wearing masks but for the absolutely obvious expression on their faces that they were just hoping to God that someone would say something so they could have a confrontation. They were even talking really loudly to each other so people would look at them. Again, it was so obvious. So in case they was any doubt; I'm THAT guy. IDGAF. I pushed my cart right at him and caught his eye. Shook my head slowly and snorted derisively, sort of an unspoken "Bless your heart". Little wuss didn't say a word.
Yeah, my daughter and I had a similar experience at our Kroger on Saturday. Dude was impervious to serious stink eye from both of us. At least we had a chuckle with the cashier and bag boy at the check out. I think they were a little surprised customers were pissed at the dude too.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Significant improvement in our ICU beds occupied here in Tarrant County. Available beds grew 50% when the ICU occupancy dropped from 98% to 97%. :oops:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The State has not been super clear on where I stand in the vacation priority list. Our firefighters and first responders got theirs a week ago. Police is this week, but at the rate this is going, I might be in August.

My biggest concern is the narrow priority windows and them cracking open the vaccines and not having enough people in that group to use 100% of that rotation. If there was a way for me to get on the "Call Me" list, I would gladly cut in line to make sure a dose does not go to waste.

By current guidelines, people like myself are pretty far down the list but my hope is that since I work for the county and our health department seems to have a pretty good supply of vaccines that they just cannot get out quick maybe they'll open it up to the county staff since we're sort of a captive group that would be easier to vaccinate en masse.

Right now, our health department is sheriff deputies and vaccinating police, fire, and EMS personnel from communities that don't have the capabilities to do it themselves. The public health nurses and health department staff and staff in our juvenile detention facility were in the first wave of vaccines and after the first responders who are being vaccinated now, I believe the next group up is staff from our courts where there are huge backlogs of work that couldn't get completed with limited in-person operations. After that though, I suspect our health department will still have a good supply so maybe they'll decide it's more efficient to just get the doses out so they open it up to the rest of the county staff rather than moving them again to the local public health clinics or redistributing them to private providers (who currently are having their own distribution woes and likely aren't really equipped to handle a bigger supply right now).

If offered the vaccine today I'd jump on it but really, I don't know how much it would change our situation in our household since my wife wouldn't be getting it at the same time. She's young, healthy, and doesn't work outside the home. Who knows when she'll be able to get the vaccine...

We saw my parents a few days after Christmas. We were outside for all but 5 minutes of the visit and when we were inside we were all masked and kept our distance from each other. I told my dad that my wife's parents already have appointments to get their vaccines and that they (my parents) should call their doctors to find out when they could get them. My dad said he was going to get it as soon as possible my mom said she wanted to wait. I flat out told her that she wouldn't be able to hug my children or see us inside without masks or sit down for a meal with us until she's been vaccinated and that seemed to make her stop for a second and consider that. I should call them this week to see if they've called their doctors.

TOFB

Cyburbian
City Hall is in line for the vaccines so they are figuring out what to do if someone doesn't take it - I am going to get one when offered
Why is City Hall "In LIne" I figure us losers (not electeds, department heads or first responders) would be way down the list.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
My mom is in category 1B (age) and is on the list.

My sister is in category 1B (pre-existing condition) and is on the list.

When they get in and actually get a shot, I don't know, but I'm glad they are at least registered/on the list.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why is City Hall "In LIne" I figure us losers (not electeds, department heads or first responders) would be way down the list.

yeah, the public safety folks first, then the clerks/inspectors on the first floor and then us - my job has no contact with public as I do all meetings on zoom so it makes sense to do it that way

Veloise

Cyburbian
How does someone get to be the moderator of a group that's focused on discussing the pandemic, but not understand that some individuals have adverse reactions to vaccines?

"COVID-19 vaccination will help protect you from getting COVID-19. You may have some side effects, which are normal signs that your body is building protection. These side effects may affect your ability to do daily activities, but they should go away in a few days.
On the arm where you got the shot:
Pain
Swelling
Throughout the rest of your body:
Fever
Chills
Tiredness
Headache"
Source:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
How does someone get to be the moderator of a group that's focused on discussing the pandemic, but not understand that some individuals have adverse reactions to vaccines?

"COVID-19 vaccination will help protect you from getting COVID-19. You may have some side effects, which are normal signs that your body is building protection. These side effects may affect your ability to do daily activities, but they should go away in a few days.
On the arm where you got the shot:
Pain
Swelling
Throughout the rest of your body:
Fever
Chills
Tiredness
Headache"
Source:
I think some of these people haven't had a tetanus shot in a while because ouch, man, that hurts!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Well, our county - and all the counties surrounding us - just went to red on the State's COVID-19 scale. Seven day positivity rate just below 20%.
Glad I postponed our Public Hearing scheduled for last night.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Someone in the same group ragged on me because I'd mentioned the reluctance of SOME health care professionals to get vaccinated, and I extended that to having it done a day before a major holiday when you might not want the side effects.
I guess all the HCW in her world are selfless professional angels dedicated to saving the world. Several I've known are the "it's just a job" types, who like working four-10s vs 8 to 5.
Seriously, if you have a couple days off the week of Dec 25, and the vaccine will be available to you upon your return, and you've worked since March without contracting the virus ...

Planit

Cyburbian
For the vaccine, I'm in Phase 2, Group 4 as part of one category, but I could be in Phase 2 Group 2 by another category.

DVD

Cyburbian
I think I might be in phase 1C for Arizona, but we've only done 60k shots in my county which covers most of the state's population. We're going warp speed here.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Wife and I were discussing all of this last night. She said that head Doc at her hospital said that there are at least 7 mutations of COVID. She and many others that she works with has serous concerns that the vaccine will not prevent all of the strains. She has already had her first shot and gets her second one next week. However, she was informed that she can expect to be sick for a day or two after she gets her second.

On an interesting note, there are more and more doctors and scientists that have indicated that the worst cases of COVID also have some other associated metabolic issue going on and there appears to be a greater correlation between metabolic heath and COVID than other health issues. It will be interesting to see if there is research going on regarding nutrition, supplements, and even eating and if it has an effect on COVID.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
From what I understand, one of the biggest problems with Covid is that the virus is very effective at penetrating many different types of cells. Most respiratory viruses only penetrate cells in the respiratory system. As such, most (perhaps all) of the viruses have targeted the protein that the virus uses to do this. It's believed that any mutation will either not affect this protein (and therefore the vaccine will still work), or if it does affect that protein, it will make the virus less effective at getting into cells and therefor less virulent.