• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Health 🏥 Coronavirus and other pandemics

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, I have one for Y'all.

A neighbor of mine is now Vaccine Shaming those who have indicated that they are not sure if they want to get it until more studies are done.

But between seeing what is going on with my wife (BTW, it continues to get worse), and what the WHO is saying about the Moderna Vaccine for pregnant women, I don't blame people for being concerned.

What would you do if you were me?

(And kicking his ass is no longer being considered, although that was the top of my list last night...)

I am very concerned about your neighborhood in general - I can't imagine living in neighborhood where this kind of dialogue is happening - maybe it's a north/south thing but whatever happened to being friendly and making small talk with your neighbors and if people befriend each other, it happens on its own

having said that - I think there is cause for concern and if someone is judging you for being concerned, given what your wife is going through, then they are bat $%^& crazy and I think you should avoid him if you can

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I am very concerned about your neighborhood in general - I can't imagine living in neighborhood where this kind of dialogue is happening - maybe it's a north/south thing but whatever happened to being friendly and making small talk with your neighbors and if people befriend each other, it happens on its own

having said that - I think there is cause for concern and if someone is judging you for being concerned, given what your wife is going through, then they are bat $%^& crazy and I think you should avoid him if you can
Most of the people are awesome. However this jackass is an extremists liberal troll. Him and I have had words in the past regarding the Pro-police flag and a few other things. He is super friendly in person, but has zero filter on social media.

kms

Cyburbian

A neighbor of mine is now Vaccine Shaming those who have indicated that they are not sure if they want to get it until more studies are done.

But between seeing what is going on with my wife (BTW, it continues to get worse), and what the WHO is saying about the Moderna Vaccine for pregnant women, I don't blame people for being concerned.

(And kicking his ass is no longer being considered, although that was the top of my list last night...)
Nothing. He can only shame you if you allow him.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Most of the people are awesome. However this jackass is an extremists liberal troll. Him and I have had words in the past regarding the Pro-police flag and a few other things. He is super friendly in person, but has zero filter on social media.

I would just hide him on social media, then, and not engage.

I talked to my mom about the vaccine. She had an adverse reaction to a vaccine when she was much younger (like school-aged). It wasn't Bells Palsy, and I can't for the life of me remember what it's called. It has the word "dance" in it, and she basically lost control of her body. She said she vividly remembers trying to sit in her chair at school and just completely missing and falling right on the floor.

She clearly has some trauma surrounding the experience and has been very nervous about vaccines ever sense (understandably). She's really trying to weigh the risks, though. I think she wants to want to get the vaccine, but isn't quite there yet.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

Ignore him? Seriously. Isn't that the only real answer here? Who cares what your neighbor thinks. :r:

I shame people for their decisions all the time... I just usually do it in my mind though and don't share those feelings publicly. If I see somebody shaming somebody else on social media, or hear them shaming somebody while having a discussion with them, I am pretty good at ignoring them (regardless of whether or not I agree with them).

If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all and don't be a sounding board for those who don't want to follow that adage. Or, to put it in internet terms: Don't feed the trolls.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I'm taking dad in tomorrow for a COVID test to confirm that he is no longer positive. It's been 14 days since the positive test, and he's never exhibited any symptoms. He has an appointment for both the COVID test and the antibody test.

Since he tested positive, he has to wait a certain amount of time before he can get the vaccine. I'm going to find out what that time limit is when we're there tomorrow. He wants to get the shot, and frankly, all his kids want him to get it.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I'm taking dad in tomorrow for a COVID test to confirm that he is no longer positive. It's been 14 days since the positive test, and he's never exhibited any symptoms. He has an appointment for both the COVID test and the antibody test.

Since he tested positive, he has to wait a certain amount of time before he can get the vaccine. I'm going to find out what that time limit is when we're there tomorrow. He wants to get the shot, and frankly, all his kids want him to get it.

There is no formal time limit to wait for the vaccine once you've had the virus except to make sure all symptoms are gone and your quarantine period is over. I was supposed to get my first dose the week I was diagnosed so I had to wait. Now that I've recovered just fine and am (relatively) young I'm going to wait until more doses are available so that those more vulnerable can be vaccinated since I have some immunity already. But if I was you I'd encourage your dad to get his shot(s) as soon as he is able.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Trolls come in all different flavors. If he's awesome in person, but not on social media you can unfriend, block, hide him or just scroll on by. No need to engage if you don't want to. If forced to, something like "People need to make decisions about the COVID vaccine in consultation with their health care providers." and leave it at that.

I got my first dose of the Moderna vaccine today. I'm eligible but the county couldn't get me in until 2/23, but a friend of a friend owns a pharmacy that is authorized to distribute the vaccine so they were able to accommodate me.

Veloise

Cyburbian
News article flying around today.

"When Josephine County [Oregon] Public Health staff and volunteers concluded their mass vaccination event at the Illinois Valley High School this afternoon, they never guessed they might be setting up an impromptu clinic on the way back to Grants Pass. But that's exactly what happened when a snowstorm stranded about 20 personnel on Highway 199 near Hayes Hill.
At the end of the IVHS clinic, the team had six doses of COVID-19 vaccinations left to administer. Recipients had been identified in Grants Pass, but the snow meant those doses wouldn't make it to them before they expired. Not wanting to waste any doses, dedicated JCPH staff members began walking from car to car, offering stranded motorists a chance at receiving the vaccine (with an ambulance from AMR-Josephine County
on hand for safety).
In the end, all six doses were administered, including one to a Josephine County Sheriff's Office
employee who had arrived too late for the IVHS clinic, but ended up stopped with the others on her way back to Grants Pass.
JCPH Director Mike Weber said it was one of the coolest operations he'd been a part of."

Conspiracy theorists abound.

My reply:
"So let's see ... there's a snowstorm forecast to block the pass. Let's line up 20 friends, outfit them with appropriate costumes, staff ID, syringes, vials of cat insulin. We'll need an ambulance too.
Plan our mission to perfectly coincide with the snow storm, and the "real" clinic down the street.
WTH would be the objective of this operation? Waste a bunch of money? To pull off a scam on six people?
Some of you folks have very active imaginations."

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I hosted my first Zoom meeting yesterday. It was interesting setting it up, coordinating and running. I see us doing more of this with the developers in lieu face to face meetings. I have another one scheduled today and one on Tuesday.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hosted my first Zoom meeting yesterday. It was interesting setting it up, coordinating and running. I see us doing more of this with the developers in lieu face to face meetings. I have another one scheduled today and one on Tuesday.

I haven't had an in person meeting with an applicant since last March - my advice is always make sure someone is in charge that calls on people and is the facilitator - usually that's me which is fine

Veloise

Cyburbian
The J&J vaccine is reporting 85% efficacy against severe illness. For comparison, I looked up some others:

"recent studies show that flu vaccination reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well-matched to the flu vaccine"

"Two doses of MMR vaccine are about 97% effective at preventing measles; one dose is about 93% effective."

"Two doses of inactivated polio vaccine (IPV) are 90% effective or more against polio; three doses are 99% to 100% effective."

All sources: CDC

Bubba

Cyburbian
Got an e-mail from my sister this morning giving me a heads-up that an old friend and classmate was recovering from a fairly nasty case of Covid - this dude is the guy I would've encouraged any kids of mine (if I'd had any) to look to as a role model: state representative for my hometown, paramedic as a day job, minister, musician, volunteer for every cause, etc. I replied that I wasn't worried, he would just do what he does with everything else - he'll figure out how to outwork the virus.

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Phase 1C can't come soon enough. (Moderate asthma comorbid here.)

My wife is 1A, and she's getting her second shot (Moderna) on Saturday. The inlaws got their first doses last week.

get vaccinated.png

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Phase 1C can't come soon enough. (Moderate asthma comorbid here.)

My wife is 1A, and she's getting her second shot (Moderna) on Saturday. The inlaws got their first doses last week.

View attachment 50639
What are your thoughts about those who can't.

Which poses another question. Should proof of vaccination be required to fly domestically, stay at a hotel, attend a concert, or enter a restaurant?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
What are your thoughts about those who can't.

Which poses another question. Should proof of vaccination be required to fly domestically, stay at a hotel, attend a concert, or enter a restaurant?
There are very few who can't. Just like flu vaccine or otherwise. Although there are issues, the science shows that the percentage of those who are unable (those with severe allergic reactions being the only proven group) is very, very small. Pregnancy, COVID-positive, and underlaying medical conditions have not shown to be as much of a concern as originally contemplated.

I certainly support a requirement to be vaccinated to fly or other clearly dangerous situations where groups of people are together. With that said, if we had a system that could also provide an official exemption that would be fine too. My problem is that there are too many people who "can't" get the vaccine, just like they can't wear a mask. Although it isn't ideal, I support our country moving forward by forcing people to do what is necessary to have us move past (as much as is possible) COVID.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The pandemic really hit me hard this evening. I've been pretty good since March, figuring I need to just stick with the mask and handwashing and stuff for a few more weeks/months until vaccinations are common. But for some reason the enormity of it all just crushed me emotionally tonight. I miss normal life. I miss the before times.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
The pandemic really hit me hard this evening. I've been pretty good since March, figuring I need to just stick with the mask and handwashing and stuff for a few more weeks/months until vaccinations are common. But for some reason the enormity of it all just crushed me emotionally tonight. I miss normal life. I miss the before times.
I seem to do this every couple weeks. We are here for you. Life will get better. It may not be the old normal, but it will be normal again. And hopefully we won't ever have to stand right next to someone in a grocery line again?

:up:

kms

Cyburbian
I understand how you feel. It comes in waves for me, but I dont think I've gone as low as I did in April. Covid was stealing my soul in April.

Getting outdoors helped me.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I seem to do this every couple weeks. We are here for you. Life will get better. It may not be the old normal, but it will be normal again. And hopefully we won't ever have to stand right next to someone in a grocery line again?

:up:
Same here... it is not easy. I also think that the turmoil of everything else just amplifies the situation.

The COVID debate that is now brewing is in regards to the schools reopening. Our Democratic Governor is calling for schools to reopen here. Some are, others haven't. There state executive orders that don't allow middle and high school students to attend full time, 5 days a week, but there are many that are not attending at all.

I have heard all sorts of stuff including one school board member in a different county who wanted to mandate that everyone at the school needs to be vaccinated first, and everyone in each of their families needs to be vaccinated as well. Another parent in that same county took the opposite side of kids are essentially immune and we should not need to worry about masks or social distancing.

A good friend of mine is positive that kids actually cause a super high risk of transmission, especially if they show no symptoms. Personally, I am not so sure about that.

EDIT: I echo KMS's comment about getting outside.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I don't have an overarching sense of missing pre-pandemic times, but there are damn sure some specific major aspects of it I miss.

• I miss my office. March 4, 2020 was the last time I set foot in it, and it's looking like it'll be sometime this fall at the earliest before I see it again.
  • I miss the rhythm of travelling, which is tied in with missing my office (living on the east coast and working on the west coast).
  • I miss the ease and regularity of eating in restaurants - we used to dine out about three times a week: Monday dinner, Friday dinner, and either a late lunch out on Saturday while running errands or a leisurely Sunday brunch out.

But, hey, I usually have one or two cats hanging out with me in my home office at any given time, so what the hell am I complaining about...?

MD Planner

Cyburbian
It's like there is just this weight that is on all of society with regard to the pandemic. I think the hardest thing for most people is that the "end" is just such a nebulous concept. Nobody knows and it just keeps dragging on. For most other situations you KNOW that at a certain point your regular routine will return. Right now that's still a crapshoot.

I've been fortunate that I've still been able to come work. Working from home for any length of time would not have been good for me. I also am able to be outside and play sports a few days a week and take the dog on long walks the other ones which help immensely.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Our district has announced their plan to go back to full-day in person for those electing to choose so (the other option is completely virtual) beginning March 15th. We have until next Monday to decide whether to send our kids or to put them in the virtual academy. I think we are going to send them. The school has been very good about maintaining social distance inside the building and the classes right now are very small for their half day cohorts. Even with everybody in the building all day, our daughter's class should still be really small if roughly the same number of kids who are currently in virtual elect to remain there.

Our main concern is what will the school be doing about common areas or moving between classes or lunches. They are supposed to release that part of the plan today or tomorrow. We're hoping that other than some time outside for fresh air/recess/breaks the kids stay in their own classrooms all day, eat lunch in there, etc.

One interesting note: The high schools in our district went back to in person a couple weeks ago. They had been entirely virtual since the start of the school year. There are two cohorts of students - Cohort A attends full day Monday and Tuesday and is virtual the rest of the week; Cohort B attends virtual Monday-Wednesday and is in-person all day on Thursday and Friday. When I drive or walk past the student parking lot during the school day, it looks like there are very few cars parked there, like a 10th of what there would be in normal times. I know I need to cut expectations in half because of the cohorts, and there are probably still some kids walking or taking the busses, but it's still a huge cut. I wonder how many of those high school kids will be going back full time as well.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Same here... it is not easy. I also think that the turmoil of everything else just amplifies the situation.

The COVID debate that is now brewing is in regards to the schools reopening. Our Democratic Governor is calling for schools to reopen here. Some are, others haven't. There state executive orders that don't allow middle and high school students to attend full time, 5 days a week, but there are many that are not attending at all.

I have heard all sorts of stuff including one school board member in a different county who wanted to mandate that everyone at the school needs to be vaccinated first, and everyone in each of their families needs to be vaccinated as well. Another parent in that same county took the opposite side of kids are essentially immune and we should not need to worry about masks or social distancing.

A good friend of mine is positive that kids actually cause a super high risk of transmission, especially if they show no symptoms. Personally, I am not so sure about that.

EDIT: I echo KMS's comment about getting outside.
I as well. I've noticed when I go to our rails-to-trails for a walk, it clears my head better than the gym does.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Our district has announced their plan to go back to full-day in person for those electing to choose so (the other option is completely virtual) beginning March 15th. We have until next Monday to decide whether to send our kids or to put them in the virtual academy. I think we are going to send them. The school has been very good about maintaining social distance inside the building and the classes right now are very small for their half day cohorts. Even with everybody in the building all day, our daughter's class should still be really small if roughly the same number of kids who are currently in virtual elect to remain there.

Our main concern is what will the school be doing about common areas or moving between classes or lunches. They are supposed to release that part of the plan today or tomorrow. We're hoping that other than some time outside for fresh air/recess/breaks the kids stay in their own classrooms all day, eat lunch in there, etc.

One interesting note: The high schools in our district went back to in person a couple weeks ago. They had been entirely virtual since the start of the school year. There are two cohorts of students - Cohort A attends full day Monday and Tuesday and is virtual the rest of the week; Cohort B attends virtual Monday-Wednesday and is in-person all day on Thursday and Friday. When I drive or walk past the student parking lot during the school day, it looks like there are very few cars parked there, like a 10th of what there would be in normal times. I know I need to cut expectations in half because of the cohorts, and there are probably still some kids walking or taking the busses, but it's still a huge cut. I wonder how many of those high school kids will be going back full time as well.
I hear that Michigan is the only state in the US that does not allow any contact sports at this time. Can you confirm this?

*** But then again, I have been informed by many that Michigan's Governor is beyond ridiculous with some of the restrictions as this has progressed.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I lived a fairly nomadic existence in pre-pandemic times, so it was not a hard transition for me because my bubble is pretty small to begin. I miss eating out, going to AAA baseball games and soccer games, among a few other things. I spend (usually) one out of every three weeks in the office, otherwise I WFH (which I love, and that has been a huge surprise to me). I haven't had a roller coaster of emotions during the pandemic, but I completely freaked myself out last March and the only way to catharsis (for me, anyway) was to write a detailed guide (account numbers, passwords, etc) for my kids in the event I was incapacitated or worse.

Our schools started back in late fall, then went virtual again for most of the December - mid-January surge here. There hasn't been any problems with community spread that I have heard. I think they do a virtual Wednesday every other week for extreme deep cleaning. I have to hand it to them: they have done a good job.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I hear that Michigan is the only state in the US that does not allow any contact sports at this time. Can you confirm this?

*** But then again, I have been informed by many that Michigan's Governor is beyond ridiculous with some of the restrictions as this has progressed.

I can confirm that Michigan does not currently allow contact sports, but I have no idea what's going on in the other 49 states.

I would add that allowed or not, and masked or not, there's no way I'd be comfortable allowing my kids to participate in any contact sport (indoor or outdoor) right now or any indoor sport for that matter (contact or non-contact). Beyond taking into account the rate of transmission among adolescents or their ability to contract and spread the virus, there would be adults present by necessity (medical, coaches, referees, other school staff, etc.) and I cannot think of any calculation where the benefit for some kids to get in a volleyball game or a football game outweighs the benefit of not holding those events right now.

DVD

Cyburbian
Arizona is allowing sports. We allow pretty much everything with few restrictions and it shows.

Planit

Cyburbian
All sports are going on here, but face masks are required before, during and after practice and games.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

I can confirm that Michigan does not currently allow contact sports, but I have no idea what's going on in the other 49 states.

I would add that allowed or not, and masked or not, there's no way I'd be comfortable allowing my kids to participate in any contact sport (indoor or outdoor) right now or any indoor sport for that matter (contact or non-contact). Beyond taking into account the rate of transmission among adolescents or their ability to contract and spread the virus, there would be adults present by necessity (medical, coaches, referees, other school staff, etc.) and I cannot think of any calculation where the benefit for some kids to get in a volleyball game or a football game outweighs the benefit of not holding those events right now.

Starting Monday, indoor contact sports can resume in Michigan.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
People that come in to register their vehicles on the first floor are sometimes sneaking up the backstairs to see us in planning on the second floor - it's only happened a few times but it's such a shock to speak to them and I only talk in the hallway staying six feet away and in the back of my mind, I'm thinking what are you doing here - I feel like I am going to be socially awkward at work when I have to go off zoom to have in person meetings again

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
People that come in to register their vehicles on the first floor are sometimes sneaking up the backstairs to see us in planning on the second floor - it's only happened a few times but it's such a shock to speak to them and I only talk in the hallway staying six feet away and in the back of my mind, I'm thinking what are you doing here - I feel like I am going to be socially awkward at work when I have to go off zoom to have in person meetings again
That's a very interesting observation. I wonder how many of us are going to be 'rusty' when the public doors open back up again? Of course in the case you described, you probably felt slightly violated or threatened as those people weren't supposed to be in your space and came quite uninvited.

Veloise

Cyburbian
The Johnson & Johnson vaccine is in the process of getting approval from the FDA. As a reminder, this is the one that requires just one shot, and doesn't need ultra-cold storage. And I'm in its clinical trial, which is why I'm following its progress so closely.

Pretty fun to be in the z00m chat after a dance, and advise 16 people of this fact. Made them happy. The sound guy was multi tasking, and he returned to say, "I just checked my phone, and it said the same news that Veloise just told us."

He also had an opinion on the auto redialer apps that some folks have taken to using to try and get through to their county health department in setting up an appointment. He felt that was cheating. I described the rigors of trying to be the 12th caller to a radio station promo, and how on a rotary phone it was pure luck, but fellow teens with a touch-tone phone had it a lot easier. And when the redial button came out ... !

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Vaccine Desert

What is a ‘Pharmacy Desert’ and why they make it harder for some people to get vaccinated in SC​

Covid vaccine ‘deserts’ and tech woes: Publix’s Florida rollout highlights risks as retailers play a larger role​

Missouri data show expanding ‘vaccine deserts’ in Kansas City and St. Louis metros​

Pharmacy deserts in Chicago could make it tough for many to get COVID-19 vaccine​

wintergirl

Cyburbian
He also had an opinion on the auto redialer apps that some folks have taken to using to try and get through to their county health department in setting up an appointment. He felt that was cheating. I described the rigors of trying to be the 12th caller to a radio station promo, and how on a rotary phone it was pure luck, but fellow teens with a touch-tone phone had it a lot easier. And when the redial button came out ... !
I worked in radio for years. It was never really the 12th caller, it was whoever happened to be on the line when the presenter came back from the bathroom. "Be caller number 97 on FM97 The Ferret and win a CD!"

Veloise

Cyburbian

Calendar timing means virus deaths won’t be seen in census​

When this appeared last night, several folks stated that the census should be redone. I pointed out that people routinely die after Census Day (always April 1 of that zero-year) and they aren't removed from the count just because it's not like a basketball game.
Also, pretend there's a pandemic baby boom, with births spiking from April 2 onwards. Those new humans won't be counted until the next decennial census.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Cross posted from RTDNTOTO:

I checked status of my Covid shot registration this morning. This involves entering my info on a county website to request an email with status of the shot. It came back with "Appointment scheduled: No" until this morning, when it read;

Appointment information on file:
(if you see a series of dashes you have not yet been scheduled):
First Dose - None - 02-13-2021 - BSW/TCU

so I guess I'm getting the shot on Saturday. The BSW/TCU means the county has handed me off to a private healthcare system for the shot. TCU is nearby so that's good. Not sure what the "None" means; there's no key to the information. So hopefully later in the week I'll get an exact time and location.

Also: Ron Wright, the congressman from the district I moved from in 2018, became the first member of congress to die from Covid. From what I've read, he refused a mask when they were hunkered down during the insurrection and was diagnosed about a week later.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
And now I was invited to schedule my shot through UT Southwestern in Dallas. I haven't gotten the detailed directions for the first shot yet, so maybe I'll sign up for the other one too, and once I get the first shot I'll cancel the other one.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
And now I find out they didn't necessarily mean 2/13 for the shot date. They've passed me over to a new vaccination site that starts giving out shots on Saturday but I don't know (yet) if I will be one of them. The latest status says I'll get 48 hour notice. I called the Covid hotline for the health system that's running the site and the woman who answered the phone had no information about the new site, and didn't find my name in her records.

If I'm getting a shot Saturday I should find out tomorrow.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I'm registered in my county and the one to the north. Hubby too. We'll see what happens next/how long it takes to get in line.