• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Health 🏥 Coronavirus and other pandemics

Doohickie

Cyburbian
If everyone starts skimming and scamming two appointments, there will be a lot of vaccine going to waste,
I did exactly that, but once I secured the appointment 3 miles from home, I canceled the one 30 miles away. My justification was that I signed up through the county the day after my wife. Three weeks after she got her shot I still hadn't heard anything so I started beating the bushes.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
As long as people cancel other appointments I don't have a problem with it. The rollout has not exactly been the smoothest in a lot of areas. Let's face it, a lot of facets of our healthcare system are not the best. You need to be your own advocate.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
If people are having trouble finding one now, what's it going to be like when even more people are eligible?

I think it's going to get better. Like I said earlier, soon we're going to be swimming in vaccine. For the most part, it hasn't been a problem actually administering the shot, it's having enough vaccine so there's a shot available for the time slots they have. That hasn't been the case in a lot of places due to limited deliveries of the vaccine.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
As of Monday, March 29, all adults in Texas may get a Covid shot.

If people are having trouble finding one now, what's it going to be like when even more people are eligible?

I think it's going to get better. Like I said earlier, soon we're going to be swimming in vaccine. For the most part, it hasn't been a problem actually administering the shot, it's having enough vaccine so there's a shot available for the time slots they have. That hasn't been the case in a lot of places due to limited deliveries of the vaccine.

If Texas is anything like Michigan, it's probably also a case of the supply existing but not necessarily in the areas where the demand is strongest.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
There are multiple outlets for the vax in Texas: county public health offices, healthcare systems/doctors, and pharmacies. If you don't have a doctor you can go through public health or a pharmacy. If your doctor/healthcare provider has it, go through them. And some HCPs offer it to the public (i.e., people who have not previously been patients with that provider). It's been getting increasingly available for some time.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
After a bit of a slow start, distribution in Texas seems to be pretty good, and people are sharing what worked with their friends, so a lot of word-of-mouth dissemination of how to get the shot.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I was just able to make an appointment at a Walmart Pharmacy an hour and a half from home. I'm hoping to find a closer location for the second dose. I know it's frowned upon, but I may try CVS one more time tomorrow morning first thing. I don't mind Walmart, but if I'm going to have to sit inside for an observation period afterwards, I'd rather do that in a smaller drug store versus a large department store.

Regardless, I'm grateful to have the opportunity to receive it.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
just went online as they opened up the 50 plussers to be allowed to get one - our local hospital where I work opened up a massive site at the city's arena

I did prefer the system of doing frontline workers first but that fell apart to age - I think the 30 something guy at the 7/11 should get vaccinated before the 50 something wfh guy but I am sure it's tough to manage that so whatever, I guess

Planit

Cyburbian
I had some friends complaining they couldn't get in the county health dept site at the convention center. I told them try Walgreens and they got an appointment for 2 days out.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I was just able to make an appointment at a Walmart Pharmacy an hour and a half from home. I'm hoping to find a closer location for the second dose. I know it's frowned upon, but I may try CVS one more time tomorrow morning first thing. I don't mind Walmart, but if I'm going to have to sit inside for an observation period afterwards, I'd rather do that in a smaller drug store versus a large department store.

Regardless, I'm grateful to have the opportunity to receive it.
When my wife missed the appt for second shot we tried to get her the shot through another provider. They had an open slot but told her she needed to go where she got her first shot. Not sure if that's universal...

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Getting my 2 shots was easy & convenient & no waiting in line

easy - signing up for 1st was on line - a tuesday just before 11 am for a friday 6:30 pm,
second was set when I checked in for 1st.

convenient - 3 blocks from my office.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I think between the increase in vaccine production and the opportunity for those with health issues to get their vax before now, we're getting to that point where states will be offering to all people pretty soon. I think Biden said by May 1 but I wouldn't be surprised to see most states opening up eligibility by early April.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Indiana is going from masks mandated to masks advised effective April 6 (the day after Indiana finishes hosting the Men's NCAA BB tournament). This Hoosier will not be shopping, dining, or drinking in any establishment that does not require masks. If that means my money follows me to Kentucky, so be it.:mad:

gtpeach

Cyburbian
When my wife missed the appt for second shot we tried to get her the shot through another provider. They had an open slot but told her she needed to go where she got her first shot. Not sure if that's universal...

Not sure. I was able to schedule a vaccine at a slightly closer CVS over the weekend, so that's good, I guess. I had a friend tell me that she was able to schedule the second dose at a different location, but when I signed up this morning, it went ahead and made both appointments at the same place. I genuinely don't mind. I'm just grateful to be moving in the direction of feeling like my family is safer.

I'm the only one that has to go anywhere, and that's just to work in a small office once a week. But I also think I'm going to be nervous to be around anyone really until vaccines are either approved for kids, or the overall infections rates decrease significantly. We have family members who have had COVID twice that have told us they won't be getting the vaccine. That doesn't do a lot to make me want to hurry up and visit with them!

Doohickie

Cyburbian
At least with CVS it's the same corporate provider. We tried to cross to a whole new provider and they only allowed my wife to sign up for a "first shot". She called them and explained the situation and they said the couldn't do her second shot but didn't really explain why.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Having some fun in the Detroit vaccine hunters groups. Because people won't read text posts

! lions 3-24.png

some genius replied to this one: "that's a Lions game"
! walk in crowd.png

These are on deck

! empty seats.jpg ! fan bag.jpg ! pipe drape.jpg ! sell team.jpg ! three fans.jpg !crazy fans.jpg ! fan cutouts.JPG

-0-

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
just had Pfizer #1 shot and I think every time we need to do anything in this country for a mass number of people, we should just have event planners handle it - my little city hospital had our arena folks handle it here and it went perfectly organized - online reservations - all good

kms

Cyburbian
just had Pfizer #1 shot and I think every time we need to do anything in this country for a mass number of people, we should just have event planners handle it - my little city hospital had our arena folks handle it here and it went perfectly organized - online reservations - all good
Here, it's like calling into a radio contest.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Moderna #2. Reaction was similar to #1. Day 1 was a feeling of general malaise but not that bad. Day 2 was more body aches and pains. I was glad it was on a weekend so I could just relax if I wanted to. If it was a work day I would have been okay to work but I wouldn't have enjoyed it.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
2nd Pfizer shot was Friday afternoon. Woke up around 5 am Saturday with my arm hurting. Probably because I slept on it. I got back up about 7 and had a headache. Mild. Took some Tylenol and that went away. By late afternoon I had to press on my arm to even feel where I got stuck. I was a bit concerned about side effects since I've had Covid but it was a breeze. Feeling great!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Second Pfizer-BioNTech yesterday +24 hours. Same as Number 1, injection site stiffness. Added a brief mild headache, but that could as easily have been allergies. I did have a strange dream last night, but that could have been anything. Now, 13 days to best immunity.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Second Pfizer-BioNTech yesterday +24 hours. Same as Number 1, injection site stiffness. Added a brief mild headache, but that could as easily have been allergies. I did have a strange dream last night, but that could have been anything. Now, 13 days to best immunity.
I had another one of those alien abduction dreams this weekend. But I'm not scheduled for my second Pfizer shot until Thursday.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I go in for #2 tomorrow morning

2nd Pfizer shot was Friday afternoon. Woke up around 5 am Saturday with my arm hurting. Probably because I slept on it. I got back up about 7 and had a headache. Mild. Took some Tylenol and that went away. By late afternoon I had to press on my arm to even feel where I got stuck. I was a bit concerned about side effects since I've had Covid but it was a breeze. Feeling great!

No ill effects from my Pfizer #2 on Friday and the VA was a great place to get the shot. My appointment was at 10:30, I showed up at 10:20 and barely had my jacket off when the needle was in my arm by about 10:21. I was back in my Jeep in the parking garage by 10:35. They were so fast that I had to sit outside the brewery I was going to afterwards for about 10 minutes waiting for them to put together my order since they weren't open until 11:00... oh well, it gave me time to also order some delicious french fries with Korean seasoning and beef!

A guy I work with is married to a doctor and they've been telling people to take Tylenol before getting the shot and to be properly hydrated. I always drink a lot of water but made sure to take a Tylenol after work on Thursday, another before bed, one more when I woke up and then a final one a few hours after my shot. I don't know if that made a difference but I never had any sore muscles or headache. I was a little fatigued, but I ran 12 miles Friday morning and another 9 miles on Saturday morning so it could have been that.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
In Iowa a Twitter feed made up by some guy is the primary source of finding vaccinations. I finally got my first one set up today at 5:30.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Updates from the House of 'Rona....

My little has completely recuperated and returned to school. She did lose her sense of smell but it is slowing coming back.

My husband did not fare so well. After 5 days of mostly mild symptoms he spiked a stubborn fever that never dropped below 100F for several days. Each time I took his temperature, I also put the pulse oximeter on his finger. A week ago Monday he was very winded just walking across the room, his oxygen levels had dropped to 91%. I told him he had to go to the ER and he agreed. I dropped him off because they don't allow anyone other than patients inside at the local hospital. He received oxygen and his chest X-ray showed the beginnings of COVID pneumonia so he was admitted and spent 5 days in the hospital. He came home on Friday. Both my oldest daughter and I have tested negative 3x at 5 day intervals since being exposed. The vaccine works.

My husband is still fatigued, his lungs are weak, and he's on multiple inhalers and steroids. I think he's still going to be home for several weeks to recuperate.

If you haven't gotten the vaccine, get it.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I had another one of those alien abduction dreams this weekend. But I'm not scheduled for my second Pfizer shot until Thursday.
I dreamt Kim Jong Un asked me, in very broken English, if I thought Disco was ever going to come back. Afraid of becoming target practice for an anti-aircraft gun, I answered in the affirmative. The rest of my sleep, I was humming some disco song I can't recall alternately with the Bee Gees "Stayin' Alive". :wow:

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Updates from the House of 'Rona....

My little has completely recuperated and returned to school. She did lose her sense of smell but it is slowing coming back.

My husband did not fare so well. After 5 days of mostly mild symptoms he spiked a stubborn fever that never dropped below 100F for several days. Each time I took his temperature, I also put the pulse oximeter on his finger. A week ago Monday he was very winded just walking across the room, his oxygen levels had dropped to 91%. I told him he had to go to the ER and he agreed. I dropped him off because they don't allow anyone other than patients inside at the local hospital. He received oxygen and his chest X-ray showed the beginnings of COVID pneumonia so he was admitted and spent 5 days in the hospital. He came home on Friday. Both my oldest daughter and I have tested negative 3x at 5 day intervals since being exposed. The vaccine works.

My husband is still fatigued, his lungs are weak, and he's on multiple inhalers and steroids. I think he's still going to be home for several weeks to recuperate.

If you haven't gotten the vaccine, get it.

Glad everyone's on the mend. I got my first dose on Saturday. Looking forward to being fully innoccuated on April 17th!

I have no idea if it's due to the vaccine or just being a mom to a young kid, but around 8 pm the day I got the first shot, I was so tired it hurt to open my eyes. :) Otherwise, I was fine. We'll see what dose 2 brings.

dw914er

Cyburbian
No ill effects from my Pfizer #2 on Friday and the VA was a great place to get the shot. My appointment was at 10:30, I showed up at 10:20 and barely had my jacket off when the needle was in my arm by about 10:21. I was back in my Jeep in the parking garage by 10:35. They were so fast that I had to sit outside the brewery I was going to afterwards for about 10 minutes waiting for them to put together my order since they weren't open until 11:00... oh well, it gave me time to also order some delicious french fries with Korean seasoning and beef!

A guy I work with is married to a doctor and they've been telling people to take Tylenol before getting the shot and to be properly hydrated. I always drink a lot of water but made sure to take a Tylenol after work on Thursday, another before bed, one more when I woke up and then a final one a few hours after my shot. I don't know if that made a difference but I never had any sore muscles or headache. I was a little fatigued, but I ran 12 miles Friday morning and another 9 miles on Saturday morning so it could have been that.

Pfizer #2 made me feel tired and blah the following day, but taking afterwards Tylenol and staying hydrated helped a lot. I did hear taking Tylenol before the shot is even better, but I heard that advice after it was all said and done.