• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Health 🏥 Coronavirus and other pandemics

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I don't know how Michigan is a hotspot. From my observation fully 1/4 of that state's population is in South Carolina right now. Good lord, I drove to the island on Saturday and I swear I passed more cars from Michigan and Ohio than I did ones from here.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I want to know how the people who haves died of Covid contracted it. I want specifics. I don't need names associated with it just: 5 people died from coronavirus today. 3 were community exposure, 2 were family exposures.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I don't know how Michigan is a hotspot. From my observation fully 1/4 of that state's population is in South Carolina right now. Good lord, I drove to the island on Saturday and I swear I passed more cars from Michigan and Ohio than I did ones from here.

Maybe those who (hopefully) aren't infected decided it's time to get the hell out of Dodge!

I will say that I'm kicking myself for not packing up and taking the kids somewhere warm when they were off of school a couple weeks ago, but I'm still not really comfortable with traveling even though I'm fully vaccinated.

Veloise

Cyburbian
I want to know how the people who haves died of Covid contracted it. I want specifics. I don't need names associated with it just: 5 people died from coronavirus today. 3 were community exposure, 2 were family exposures.
I do a lot of thinking about this.

My fair state's numbers are shooting up. Why? They were so low a year ago after we shut everything down.
Fewer people were exposed/sickened/died during that careful time. Now the GQP and the kidnappers, et al are clamoring for opening, so the gov has resorted to "discouraging" restaurant meals and social gatherings. (Seems like whatever she does, the loonies take over.) The people who were fragile but survived whole last year are now getting sick.
Also, the initial roll-out of vaccinations concentrated on the 65+ cohort, who are not the ones taking spring break trips or doing restaurant hangs. They included 60+ back in March, so many of those have passed the 2-week countdown. 16 - 59 has only been welcomed for about a week now, so they can still be super spreaders or carriers.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I do a lot of thinking about this.

My fair state's numbers are shooting up. Why? They were so low a year ago after we shut everything down.
Fewer people were exposed/sickened/died during that careful time. Now the GQP and the kidnappers, et al are clamoring for opening, so the gov has resorted to "discouraging" restaurant meals and social gatherings. (Seems like whatever she does, the loonies take over.) The people who were fragile but survived whole last year are now getting sick.
Also, the initial roll-out of vaccinations concentrated on the 65+ cohort, who are not the ones taking spring break trips or doing restaurant hangs. They included 60+ back in March, so many of those have passed the 2-week countdown. 16 - 59 has only been welcomed for about a week now, so they can still be super spreaders or carriers.
What parts of the state are seeing the highest percentage of of new cases? I am curious because I thought Detroit was a hot spot last year during the lockdown and the UP had almost no cases. Based on the Data, there was a significant surge that started around mid October and ran through through the end of the year.

On the vaccine front, I got shot #2 last week. 6 hours afterwards I was not feeling great. It was mostly headache and overall soreness. 12 hours was more of the same, 24 hours I had a little bit of a temp and chills and felt really bad, but 48 hours after I was back to 90%.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
What parts of the state are seeing the highest percentage of of new cases? I am curious because I thought Detroit was a hot spot last year during the lockdown and the UP had almost no cases. Based on the Data, there was a significant surge that started around mid October and ran through through the end of the year.

The Thumb (St. Clair, Huron, Sanilac, Tuscola counties in particular) has been leading the nation in terms of positivity rates over the past few weeks. I know at one point, positivity rates in St. Clair County were close to 30%, it's come back down a bit since then but still in the 20s. Those counties are also leading the state in cases per 100,000. In terms of sheer numbers though, Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb counties are leading the way, but these counties have by far the largest share of people in the state.

Looking at the NY Times map, it looks like cases in the Texas Stovepipe counties really exploded since the last time I refreshed the map on Wednesday or Thursday (but if I remember the little bit of Texas geography that I know, that is a very sparsely populated region).

Veloise

Cyburbian

Looking at the NY Times map, it looks like cases in the Texas Stovepipe counties really exploded since the last time I refreshed the map on Wednesday or Thursday (but if I remember the little bit of Texas geography that I know, that is a very sparsely populated region).
What's disingenuous: areas with a smaller population will show up in a deeper shade because that's a higher proportion of their total. (I'm not suggesting that Thumb residents are innocent in terms of congregating, etc.)
Interestingly, the Rite Aid in Marlette has been a great place to get an appointment. Regular schedule, every three minutes. My Detroit-area group has send quite a few people there, so much that we have a post topic tag and it describes the ice cream place.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
What's disingenuous: areas with a smaller population will show up in a deeper shade because that's a higher proportion of their total. (I'm not suggesting that Thumb residents are innocent in terms of congregating, etc.)

I wouldn't say that's disingenuous. It's generally good mapping and a better way to use/represent the data to equalize the number of new cases by 100k or 1 million people. Otherwise maps of COVID-19 cases or number of school-age kids, or number of Russian speakers, or whatever you're looking at is always going to be higher in the major metros. Doing this would make it very difficult to be able to do a proper hot spot analysis to see which areas have higher case counts or positivity rates than they otherwise should when taking their population into account.

Veloise

Cyburbian
I wouldn't say that's disingenuous. It's generally good mapping and a better way to use/represent the data to equalize the number of new cases by 100k or 1 million people. Otherwise maps of COVID-19 cases or number of school-age kids, or number of Russian speakers, or whatever you're looking at is always going to be higher in the major metros. Doing this would make it very difficult to be able to do a proper hot spot analysis to see which areas have higher case counts or positivity rates than they otherwise should when taking their population into account.
Not really.
Here's a series of maps from the NYT that bring it into perspective.

1618255772722.png

Michigan_population_map.png

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Not really.
Here's a series of maps from the NYT that bring it into perspective.

View attachment 51176

Michigan_population_map.png

I guess I still don't see what's disingenuous about any of the maps on the NY Times site. Each one makes clear what they are showing geographically, whether its per capita cases, average daily case counts, etc. Nothing is being hidden and everything is labeled clearly.

Veloise

Cyburbian
I guess I still don't see what's disingenuous about any of the maps on the NY Times site. Each one makes clear what they are showing geographically, whether its per capita cases, average daily case counts, etc. Nothing is being hidden and everything is labeled clearly.
If you go in with a forgone conclusion, you can write a scary headline and find some data to adjust that will then support your hypothesis.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Anyone else have some really strange dreams after their vaccine shot(s)? I mean - totally out there, not normal type dreams?

Or is it just me?

These weren't scary nightmares, more surreal, but still extremely strange and unusual.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Anyone else have some really strange dreams after their vaccine shot(s)? I mean - totally out there, not normal type dreams?

Or is it just me?

These weren't scary nightmares, more surreal, but still extremely strange and unusual.
Yes, as I posted earlier - a very vivid (lifelike) dream that Kim Jong Un asked me in very broken English if disco would ever come back ...

Bubba

Cyburbian

Or is it just me?

I don't remember my dreams when I wake up (beyond a vague knowledge that I dreamed something at some point while I was sleeping). I'm getting my second Pfizer shot in a couple of hours - perhaps I should be grateful of that...?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Probably that disco never left in Gedunker's household!
So? What was your response?

Inquiring minds and all that you know.

Well, I remember that I understood this is a guy that uses anti-aircraft weapons to assassinate political opponents (including relatives) and other undesirables, so I wanted to be correct in his eyes, and something told me the correct answer was in the affirmative. I don't recall anything untoward happening to me afterwards, so I think I guessed correctly. I remember humming two disco songs the rest of the night - one I can't recall and the other, rather appropriately, Staying Alive by the Bee Gees.

Disco was, unfortunately, a big part of my formative years, and I had the great misfortune of growing up in metro NYC, so it was everywhere unavoidable. (I was then and am now much more attuned to the singer-songwriter ouvre.) I can say that there is no disco in my household, not least on my iPhone. I think the Staying Alive creeped into my mind because I was thinking about CPR earlier in the day, and we were trained to use that song for the rhythm for chest compressions. So there!

HomerJ

Cyburbian
Got the J&J vaccine Saturday morning along with my wife. Felt fine until going to bed that evening and then felt like absolute garbage the next day until late afternoon/early evening. By Monday morning we were both fine and thrilled to only have to do 1 shot, and then we saw the news regarding the blood clot cases and CDC announcement...:grimace:

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I didn't get a choice on the version I got, but in hindsight, I'm glad I didn't get the J&J version - being in the same cohort as the 6 ladies that had clots.

My dad wants the J&J version, but with his heart issues I'm not sure that's the best bet.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Got the J&J vaccine Saturday morning along with my wife. Felt fine until going to bed that evening and then felt like absolute garbage the next day until late afternoon/early evening. By Monday morning we were both fine and thrilled to only have to do 1 shot, and then we saw the news regarding the blood clot cases and CDC announcement...:grimace:

The news of this is not going to help the push to get people vaccinated. My sister has been pushing her husband to get the shot for quite a while now, but he was hesitant because he wasn't sure about the side effects and didn't think we knew enough about it. She made a point not to mention my wife's reaction, but apparently the news of this has caused him to dig his heals in further. We are going to see them this summer, and there is a good chance that my wife won't be back to 100% by then (she is about 5% now).

Speaking of, I am not opposed to the vaccine passports, but I wonder what will happen for those who were not able to get their second dose (such as my wife) due to complications? Does that mean she can't fly, attend concerts, or visit places?

MD Planner

Cyburbian
With or without the J&J vaccine, very soon supply will exceed demand. There are a lot of people who are "no way, no how" when it comes to being vaccinated.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I get Pfizer #2 tomorrow, and our state is now officially open to anyone that wants it, so I told CCG he has to make an appointment today. My parents are both vaccinated, so I'm excited to be able to have anxiety-less visits with them again once CCG is also fully vaccinated. My mom especially has certainly missed spending time with PeachFuzz!

We're still trying to figure out what to do regarding family members that won't be getting the vaccine in terms of visits. I think since PeachFuzz still won't be vaccinated, we'll continue to take the same precautions. Unfortunately, some of the family members have not been good about sticking to our boundaries, so we've cut off visits with them completely. Maybe we'll go back to outdoors but require masks. I don't know. I hate this part of it.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I saw a headline come across my phone and now I can't find it that J&J asked Pfizer and Moderna to help figure out the side effect thing and they declined - I hope that the headline is misleading because if that's accurate, what a dick move that is

Planit

Cyburbian
The county sent out a robocall letting people know the vaccine was available and open to all. I hope they get a good response.

Veloise

Cyburbian

TOFB

Cyburbian
Drained, cleaned, and refilled both ponds, sucked up 2 bags of yard waste, and cut the grass. Do I really have COVID?