• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free (as in "free beer"). It's easy to join in!

Health 🏥 Coronavirus and other pandemics

Bubba

Cyburbian
My office is currently "open" but allowing no more than 10 folks in at a time, masks worn unless you're in an individual office by yourself with the door closed, etc. (the firm is very risk-adverse). The current plan is to allow for about half-capacity starting June 15 with the mask rules relaxed (common areas only). One of the more interesting things about the plan to open back up is that the firm will let the folks who had to take some computer equipment home in order to get their WFH set-up fully functional keep that equipment as long as they're still employed by the firm, and they're actually going to spend the money to re-outfit the office with replacement equipment. I'm guessing that the return rate of keyboards, monitors, etc. as attrition occurs and folks leave is going to be in the 30% range, though...

FAKE VACCINE CARDS
a horrible, rampant problem
No link? No context?

FAKE VACCINE CARDS
a horrible, rampant problem
No link? No context?
As you're probably aware, fake vaccine cards, or fake information on real cards, are nothing new. Started WAY before the internet. Fake ones for dog, cat, <fill-in-the-animal> vaccines, too.

Basically, as soon as the Covid vaccines came out, so did the black market for fake or stolen Covid vaccine cards. Cyburbia being a public forum, I don't want any bad-intentioned outsiders getting any (new) ideas.

A simple google search will yield a lifetime of context and links on this subject. Over one billion hits as of the time of this post. Add the keyword 'FBI' and the google search whittles down to a few million hits.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
As you're probably aware, fake vaccine cards, or fake information on real cards, are nothing new. Started WAY before the internet. Fake ones for dog, cat, <fill-in-the-animal> vaccines, too.

Basically, as soon as the Covid vaccines came out, so did the black market for fake or stolen Covid vaccine cards. Cyburbia being a public forum, I don't want any bad-intentioned outsiders getting any (new) ideas.

A simple google search will yield a lifetime of context and links on this subject. Over one billion hits as of the time of this post. Add the keyword 'FBI' and the google search whittles down to a few million hits.
Doubling down but still no evidence, other than the Q-Anon-inspired "do your own research."

Doubling down but still no evidence, other than the Q-Anon-inspired "do your own research."
I appreciate your calling me out because it means that you probably question most people who make such controversial statements. (That's a good thing, in my book.)

FBI: Fake, Stolen Vaccination Cards Are a New Problem
...fake vaccination cards have been selling briskly on eBay, Etsy and other Internet sites for weeks.

“We are seeing these vaccination cards being sold on many social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and even TikTok,” FBI Special Agent Jeanette Harper said in a press statement last month.
Legitimate vaccination cards also are being stolen. Police in Nassau County, New York, this week arrested a [Levittown CVS] pharmacy employee for stealing more than 50 blank vaccination cards, Forbes reports.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
See, here's the thing though: State agencies track who's been given the vaccine. I heard of someone (was it on this thread?) whose card was not filled out properly for the first dose. The person doing the shot looked it up in the database and filled out the info for the first dose on the card.

I still think ultimately there will need to be a vax passport app that provides a barcode that can be read in and compared to the live database to verify vax status. A lot of states are passing laws prohibiting that, but if countries require for foreign travel, it will happen... eventually.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I met some friends at a restaurant for lunch today. This was my first time eating in a restaurant since March 2020. Don't tell me co-workers though as I still don't really want to go eat with them.
I'm not EVER feeling obligated to go to stuff I don't want to go to anymore. I don't mean stuff where it's "the right thing" to do like a funeral or school play or to support a good friend- but those functions where the reason to go is "If I don't go, what will people say?" I really don't care what "those people" think of me anymore.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I'm not EVER feeling obligated to go to stuff I don't want to go to anymore. I don't mean stuff where it's "the right thing" to do like a funeral or school play or to support a good friend- but those functions where the reason to go is "If I don't go, what will people say?" I really don't care what "those people" think of me anymore.

You've got it right. You show up for people's "moments" but the other stuff is just crap. If you want to, by all means go. If you don't then don't feel an obligation to go just "because".

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
You've got it right. You show up for people's "moments" but the other stuff is just crap. If you want to, by all means go. If you don't then don't feel an obligation to go just "because".

My wife used to be one who felt that we had some sort of obligation to go to EVERY. SINGLE. party and family event that we were invited to no matter how often we would otherwise socialize with or see these people. During the pandemic she finally realized that not having something that we absolutely had to go to every weekend can be a good thing.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
During the pandemic she finally realized that not having something that we absolutely had to go to every weekend can be a good thing.
Our only local relations are my son and his wife; they live about an hour away. They come over about once a month; once in a while we go to their place. But there's no expectation other than the major holidays (which fall into the once a month more or less anyway). We have some friends we haven't seen in FOREVER due to the pandemic and we plan to get together with them couple-to-couple rather than throwing a big party.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
So a group of hospital workers in Texas are suing the hospital they work for because the hospital is saying that they are mandating the COVID-19 vaccine for all staff.

Personally, I support the vaccine even with the situation with my wife and her reaction to it. However I don't think that anyone should be able to mandate it until it receives full FDA approvals. Right now it is being distributed on emergency authorization and still needs more testing for the FDA signs off on it.

On the flip side, the EEOC says that businesses can require it.

What are your thoughts?

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
So a group of hospital workers in Texas are suing the hospital they work for because the hospital is saying that they are mandating the COVID-19 vaccine for all staff.

Personally, I support the vaccine even with the situation with my wife and her reaction to it. However I don't think that anyone should be able to mandate it until it receives full FDA approvals. Right now it is being distributed on emergency authorization and still needs more testing for the FDA signs off on it.

On the flip side, the EEOC says that businesses can require it.

What are your thoughts?
The military will add it to the rotation the second it passes FDA approval, which should be very soon.

There is nothing that is going to stop it from receiving approval, so it is just pushing off the inevitable if you aren't willing to do it. The idea that a hospital system isn't requiring it is crazy. How these people who are in medicine aren't all screaming to get the vaccine scares me for the future of the medical system.

I know of one physician who is unwilling to get it, and they are doing it mainly due to the fear of reaction. Every other medical person I know who is unwilling is a PA or nurse. Since most of the frontline workers are nurses and PA's, I very much hope for the safety of our medical professionals, that hospital systems require the vaccine, and continue to require masks in hospitals forever going forward.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I met some friends at a restaurant for lunch today. This was my first time eating in a restaurant since March 2020.
Huh. The last time we (Mrs. Bubba and I) ate in a restaurant as the pandemic was really taking hold was March 16, 2020. The City of Atlanta shut down in-restaurant dining on March 19, and Governor Kemp did the same on a statewide basis on March 23. Kemp allowed in-restaurant dining to resume on April 27 under very tight safety guidelines. We waited until one particular restaurateur reopened two of his three establishments (the dude is meticulous, incredibly thoughtful in everything he does with his businesses, and was easily going to be the bell cow for us on restaurant safety) before venturing back...so probably mid-June 2020 was when we resumed eating in restaurants.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Every employer in America should be conditioning employment on getting vaccinated, with very few exceptions. Period.
Even though that it does not have full FDA authorization yet? If it is safe enough for businesses to mandate, why hasn't FDA approved it yet?

Reactions: kms

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Even though that it does not have full FDA authorization yet? If it is safe enough for businesses to mandate, why hasn't FDA approved it yet?
Yes. The FDA said it was safe to use in an emergency. Good enough for me - and my children - to get vaccinated. Pfizer - BioNtech batches 1 and 2, baby, with no adverse effects. Good enough for anyone that wants to sell me something, too. Plus, if we are going to end this awful pandemic, getting people to get past their irrational fears is going to take some flat out coercion. I'm not above doing that.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Yes. The FDA said it was safe to use in an emergency. Good enough for me - and my children - to get vaccinated. Pfizer - BioNtech batches 1 and 2, baby, with no adverse effects. Good enough for anyone that wants to sell me something, too. Plus, if we are going to end this awful pandemic, getting people to get past their irrational fears is going to take some flat out coercion. I'm not above doing that.
I agree that it is safe enough for me and my kids (1 of three are old enough to be vaccinated). But until the FDA issues full authorization, I don't think that anyone should mandate that someone get it. You want to stop this virus, get the FDA to issue the full authorization.

As for for "irrational" fears, I take offense to that. Tell my wife that may never regain full control of half her face that her fears are irrational. It has been 5 months today since she got her first shot and she is still hesitant on going out anywhere because of it and will often sit in the shower crying about it. If so, you are not the person that I though you were and I lost all respect for you.

Last edited:

Veloise

Cyburbian
Potential bridal client mentioned the very casual oblique reference on my website (on my event calendar, I included the date of my J&J shot). So I boosted that signal.

buttons.jpg

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I agree that it is safe enough for me and my kids (1 of three are old enough to be vaccinated). But until the FDA issues full authorization, I don't think that anyone should mandate that someone get it. You want to stop this virus, get the FDA to issue the full authorization.

As for for "irrational" fears, I take offense to that. Tell my wife that may never regain full control of half her face that her fears are irrational. It has been 5 months today since she got her first shot and she is still hesitant on going out anywhere because of it and will often sit in the shower crying about it. If so, you are not the person that I though you were and I lost all respect for you.

I think that there is probably a case to be made that at least for your wife and others that have experienced previous negative reactions to vaccines (my mom is in that category, too), that their fears are actually rational.

I don't think they should necessarily be required unilaterally. I think they make sense for a lot of industries - healthcare workers, public safety responders, teachers, even college students, etc. And I could see where they get added to required vaccines for travel or school attendance. But I am reluctant to think they should just generally be required overall.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
As of yesterday, if you are 2 weeks out from your final dose of a vaccine and are willing to allow the county to view your vaccination records, you do not need to wear a mask in our building. FWIW, our building is still closed to the general public. Buildings that are open to the public (clerk, treasurer) or institutional places like the jail still require masks.

It is nice not having to grab my mask everytime I get up to go to the printer or restroom or something.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Junior got his second Pfizer dose this past weekend. I understand it takes a couple weeks to achieve 100% efficacy, but now everyone in the Maister household has gotten their covid vaccines. I don't think this means 'all back to normal' but represents a significant step in that direction.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
How about this for an incentive

'Joints for Jabs':
Washington state turns to marijuana giveaways to encourage residents to get vaccinated

That's one way to get the numbers of vaccinated people higher.