• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Health 🏥 Coronavirus and other pandemics

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I think that this might be a bigger deal that many are willing to accept, especially for major urban areas where personal contact is greater. I don't think it will wipe out humanity or anything, but I think that it is a much bigger deal than the flu. The World Health Organization has a lot of information on it, and overall, I think with practical prevention methods, we will be ok.

We did have a City Council member show up last week with a mask on for a meeting. It was the first one that I have seen in person since all of this started.
Just because I'm curious, why do you think "it is a much bigger deal than the flu"? The coronavirus has killed 1/10th as many people as influenza.
I'm curious as well.

The stuff that I've seen shows the coronavirus is infecting a lot of people and spreading relatively quickly but it isn't as severe or as deadly as the annual influenza strain. The worst case scenario models I've seen show that it could infect hundreds of thousands or even close to a million but have a lower mortality rate, especially when compared to what damage other, more familiar, viruses might do if they infected a similar number of people in a season. Coronavirus is noteworthy for the speed at which it spreads, it's "newness", and the fact that they haven't really pinpointed down exactly how it spreads (or, conversely, ruled out ways it doesn't spread). It's not it's mortality rate that is making it noteworthy.

Now if it does indeed spread to a million people, it could definitely have devastating economic effects even if not many are dying, especially if there are significant pockets of infection in large industrial or commercial centers. There have been no reported cases here in Michigan but there is already talk of auto manufacturers slowing down production or shutting down lines as factories in China are facing the possibility of shutting down while the infection scare passes. Then there is the economic cost associated with the time and money it takes to disinfect everything before factories and tech centers open back up. If this worsens and drags on through the rest of the quarter, I would expect the next automotive production forecasts to be revised slightly downward from what they were projecting earlier. The same scenario is likely playing out in other industries as well.

Wow... a lot changes in 18 months.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Local Hospital Numbers as of wednesday.

171 COVID-positive — 147 of whom are 'not vaccinated.'
58 infected patients in the ICU only 9 vaccinated.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1630607154838.png

Today's Google Doodle is very appropriate.

On the other side, it sounds like two FDA officials are resigning because the White House set timelines for the booster shots before the FDA had fully reviewed the data. I guess this President does not want to wait for science.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
View attachment 55026
Today's Google Doodle is very appropriate.

On the other side, it sounds like two FDA officials are resigning because the White House set timelines for the booster shots before the FDA had fully reviewed the data. I guess this President does not want to wait for science.
:r: I don't feel like there is an emoji that can do the level of sigh I just did... come on man... I mean Biden probably isn't the best president we have ever had, but he clearly has been clear on his belief in science. I feel like I need to post a quote about something that could potentially be something, every time "it sounds like" something is or is not potentially happening...why?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Ugh.... 4 days into the school year and we've received our first email notice from the district that there was a case of COVID reported at one of our kids schools. More information coming (hopefully later today since it's now a long holiday weekend) as to which classes have "close contacts".

:afraid:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
:r: I don't feel like there is an emoji that can do the level of sigh I just did... come on man... I mean Biden probably isn't the best president we have ever had, but he clearly has been clear on his belief in science. I feel like I need to post a quote about something that could potentially be something, every time "it sounds like" something is or is not potentially happening...why?
If he was clear, why did he say booster shots will be available on September 20th before the FDA reviewed the data to support such a statement.

Let’s think about it for a moment. Not one, but two resigned. In the middle of a global pandemic, who does that without a serious reason.

I agree that Biden is better than Trump at dealing with stuff, but he is a disaster compared to Obama, Bush, and even Clinton.

Ugh.... 4 days into the school year and we've received our first email notice from the district that there was a case of COVID reported at one of our kids schools. More information coming (hopefully later today since it's now a long holiday weekend) as to which classes have "close contacts".

:afraid:

We made it one week, then the kids school shut down all of the 2nd grade for a week, and half the 7th grade…

Planit

Cyburbian
I am beyond disgusted how many of of our first responders here are not vaccinated. We've had several of them hospitalized with COVID. I'm talking young, in-shape people. They're impacting our operations, coverage and overtime big time.

Same thing here - their percentage is even lower than police department.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Local hospital numbers as of friday

168 patients with COVID
147 of those unvaccinated.

56 patients in ICU
55 were unvaccinated,
39 on ventilators,
38 were unvaccinated.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
It's almost as though they are using the vaccine and this pandemic to try and score political points.
And that's likely to work even with the idiotic auto-correct grammatical mistake.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
So much frustration...

School Principal says one thing
School Board President says something else
State Health and Human Services Department says that they are both wrong
School Principal won't return my phone call

Doohickie

Cyburbian
So much frustration...

School Principal says one thing
School Board President says something else
State Health and Human Services Department says that they are both wrong
School Principal won't return my phone call
My wife is a teacher. They don't notify if a student tests positive or is quarntining. They don't notify if a teacher has it or is quarantining. They're supposed to, but they don't. Of course our bonehead governor prohibits mask mandates in schools and we live in a county where the judge doesn't dare stand up to him. My wife is furious.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
My wife is a teacher. They don't notify if a student tests positive or is quarntining. They don't notify if a teacher has it or is quarantining. They're supposed to, but they don't. Of course our bonehead governor prohibits mask mandates in schools and we live in a county where the judge doesn't dare stand up to him. My wife is furious.
I still don't get this "prohibition" of masks. We are at the opposite. Our county mandates them in all indoor public situations regardless of vaccination status.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

Isn't the state motto down there "Ignorance is bliss!" or something like that?

(I don't think this is particular to Texas, but) Speaking of teachers in Texas... I have a friend who lives in Austin whose wife is a teacher and he sets his own schedule so will occasionally pick up a substitute teaching job if he can be in the same school as his wife. He uses an app to get notifications of available teaching jobs in his area. In past years, he'd get a handful of notifications in a given week and many of them would be for gigs that wouldn't start for a few more days so he'd have plenty of notice if he wanted to take the job. He's been posting screenshots of the app on his Facebook page for the past few weeks and most mornings he wakes up to about 100+ available teaching jobs, most of which are for immediate postings.

dw914er

Cyburbian
I still don't get this "prohibition" of masks. We are at the opposite. Our county mandates them in all indoor public situations regardless of vaccination status.

Because they're patriots standing up to the Big Cotton and Garment industry.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Your state doesn't have a governor trying to out-crazy DeSantis in courting Trump fans for the 2024 Republican presidential primary.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Last week the courts finally upheld mask mandates so (for now) my wife's district is requiring masks.

And.... a new judge struck the mandates down again. There are basically four parents with a lot of money that are batshitinsane that are just won't let the mask mandate exist. Morons.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member

I love these side by sides coming from folks like Hannity and Senators and the like, but does anyone walk into their office holding it up and say "really?" - it just gets ignored - so done

So my son is a senior in HS and already there is a close exposure in his classroom - it's so confusing but I guess he is being tested today - he is fully vaccinated and I guess so was the kid who has it

Maine is now off their previous good charts with new cases and people in ICU - mostly non vaccinated people but some breakthroughs - we are back to masking in city hall and zoom if you want to hybrid meetings

I hate hybrid meetings because if you are one of the people who zoom in but there's a whole table of people at the "home" meeting space like council chambers, you feel out of it, often don't hear people if they don't lean into their microphone and your face is plastered across the big screen in the meeting room and on the Facebook Live zoom - I would rather everyone back on zoom than hybrid meetings - it's more awkward to be hybrid imho

michaelskis

Cyburbian
How many times have you been tested for COVID and how often do you get tested?

As I noted elsewhere, our staff that is not vaccinated has to get tested once a week and provide their results. I am vaccinated, and I get tested at least once a week. Part of it is because of how many in-person meetings I still have and part of it is to prevent staff who are getting tested from complaining on how hard it is to get tested.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I love these side by sides coming from folks like Hannity and Senators and the like, but does anyone walk into their office holding it up and say "really?" - it just gets ignored - so done

So my son is a senior in HS and already there is a close exposure in his classroom - it's so confusing but I guess he is being tested today - he is fully vaccinated and I guess so was the kid who has it

Maine is now off their previous good charts with new cases and people in ICU - mostly non vaccinated people but some breakthroughs - we are back to masking in city hall and zoom if you want to hybrid meetings

I hate hybrid meetings because if you are one of the people who zoom in but there's a whole table of people at the "home" meeting space like council chambers, you feel out of it, often don't hear people if they don't lean into their microphone and your face is plastered across the big screen in the meeting room and on the Facebook Live zoom - I would rather everyone back on zoom than hybrid meetings - it's more awkward to be hybrid imho
Running hybrid meetings is a pain. Being the staff support, Zoom tech, and video DJ all in one is exhausting.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I'm trying to obtain a digital record of my Covid vaccine. I am still planning on flying overseas to help my sister after major surgery.

I was told the public health office that I got my shots through would have that info. I'm still playing phone tag with them.

Does anyone else have such a digital record (except NY and CA, where there's a state program?) and how did you get it?

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I know of someone in Texas that lost their card after the first dose but went back for the second dose and they pulled it up on the computer and put the full information on a new card, like.... instantly. If the agency or whatever that vaxed you is still vaxing, just show up and ask them... see what they say.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I know of someone in Texas that lost their card after the first dose but went back for the second dose and they pulled it up on the computer and put the full information on a new card, like.... instantly. If the agency or whatever that vaxed you is still vaxing, just show up and ask them... see what they say.
Georgia has a state-managed database for all vaccinations (not just covid), so maybe Texas has something similar.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
How many times have you been tested for COVID and how often do you get tested?

As I noted elsewhere, our staff that is not vaccinated has to get tested once a week and provide their results. I am vaccinated, and I get tested at least once a week. Part of it is because of how many in-person meetings I still have and part of it is to prevent staff who are getting tested from complaining on how hard it is to get tested.
When I was working at home, once a month and before/after any travel. Now that my little is back in school and we were recalled to the office full time, I will most likely test bi-weekly. I just go through the drive thru at Rite Aid, swab my nose myself, and the results come back in 1-2 days. I do think that rapid antigen testing needs to be greatly expanded and used by schools and other congregant places.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
If you want to read some depressing sh!t, check out the r/nursing subreddit. Every anti-vaxx person should be forced to read some of those first hand accounts.

On the bright side, crisis nursing rates are officially insane, they were crazy before. But now... $113,000 for a 13 week contract in Texas.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
If you want to read some depressing sh!t, check out the r/nursing subreddit. Every anti-vaxx person should be forced to read some of those first hand accounts.

On the bright side, crisis nursing rates are officially insane, they were crazy before. But now... $113,000 for a 13 week contract in Texas.
That's sad and scary.

michaelskis

Cyburbian

My wife has been telling me about some of those.

In terms of staffing, it is getting bad. My wife tells me that more than 30% of the nurses and scrub-techs in her unit are either leaving for a new job or retiring this month. They were short staffed before all of this and now the remaining staff needs to work extra shifts until they can find new people. Personally, I think the staff that stays should get a hell of a bonus.