• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Corrupt Public Official of the Week: 12/7 - 12/13

Seabishop

Cyburbian
This week's corrupt public official is Raymond B. Asselin director of the Springfield, MA Housing Authority. As detailed here Mr. Asselin made Housing Authority employees and contractors renovate his home and that of his kids and forced employees to campaign for his son's political campaigns. He also illegally pocketed lots of Housing Authority cash. Apparently the Asselin's needed money for renovations on their million dollar Cape Cod summer home, more than the poor and elderly in under his care did.

Of course, our corrupt public official of the week is innocent until proven guilty. :)

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
ludes98 said:
What an a$$.
You're too kind.

As retribution, he should be forced to reside in a blighted house or dilapidated housing development unit in Springfield, just like in that movie "The Super" starring Joe Pesci.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
Of course, our corrupt public official of the week is innocent until proven guilty. :)
That's just the tip of the iceberg in Springfield. Allegedly, I mean.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
It's not like there are really any poor people in Springfield, is it? Oh, sure, the city is filled with some of the worst slums in America, where people live in dangerous, derelict, and abandoned buildings. At least they aren't homeless, and besides, its only those people anyways.

No, BEK, even being forced to live in one of those places is not a good enough punishment. Of course, I doubt he would live long there, so maybe it is.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Oh come on, that's nothing compared to the cesspool in Philly right now.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
just to the south of Springfield there is this:

ROWLAND ADMITS DECEPTION
Critics believe governor has dug political grave
by Gregory B. Hladky , Capitol Bureau Chief 12/13/2003

HARTFORD — Gov. John G. Rowland admitted Friday that major state contractors and staff members paid for many renovations at his lakeside cottage and issued an extraordinary apology for misleading the public.

http://www.nhregister.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10657179&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id=517515&rfi=6

yaff

Cyburbian
From the Washington Post- Saturday December 13th:

2 Pentagon Officials Get 24 Years in Fraud - Millions Demanded in Cash, Favors From Minority Firms Seeing Contracts.

In an emotional plea for leniency, Neal told U.S. District Judge, " They just don't get it. The government just doesn't get it ... For 27 years, I have sacrificed for the federal governent in providing assistance to small businesses. I have given up my family life for small business."