• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

County Master Plans?

UPPlanner

We are working on some preliminary research for a constituent county, roughly 11,000 persons, 1,022 sq. miles, to do a county wide master plan.

Essentially I am looking for any county's that have a master plan, and pretty much just the table of contents. The County that has approached us is missing a few key elements in their rough "content" outline.

Feel free to email any samples to me at: euprpdc@yahoo.com or pm and I'll send the snail addy.

SGB

Cyburbian
I did similar research just recently.

A Google search by the phrases "county comprehensive plan" and "county master plan" should work wonders for ya!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Ours was the first adopted in Florida: www.co.seminole.fl.us

click on departments, planning & development, planning, vision 2020 comprehensive plan

I don't think they will mail a full copy, it's too big. I'm with the county, in engineering, and I can't even get a hard copy.

donk

Cyburbian
You may want to check Counties in Ontario. Look for "Offical Plans"

Don't have the websites, but here are a few areas and the issues I expect their plans to cover

1) Bruce County - cottage development and agriculture
2) Peel Region - urban fringe development, aggregate extraction, agricultural land preservation
3) Simcoe - cottage development
4) Carelton County (I think) - forest management. Pretty much any northern or eastern county.

If I have time, I'l see what I can find.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I prefer using VIVISIMO http://vivisimo.com/ for searches
came up with
147 sites for County Comprehensive Plan
and
165 sites for County Master Plan

hope that helps ya.

Last edited:

RobGuru

In PA, all counties are required by our enabling legislation (such as it is) to have a Comprehensive Plan. The County Commissioners Association of Pennsylvania, in cooperation with the state Department of Community and Economic Development, is working on a on-line resource where all plans and ordinances will be available.

Here's the link, although not everything is up yet.

elibrary

The plans and ordinances are sectioned into multiple PDF files, so you may have to download multiple files.

Edit - You will have to accept the disclaimer to enter the site.

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
Its good to look for examples, but photocopy machines have caused more grief for planning in rural America than the property rights movement (in fact, I am reasonably sure that the property rights movement would never have made the inroads it has into the social fabric of rural communities if it wasn't for rural counties' indiscriminate use of photocopiers rather than real plannng processes). You need to put a lot more time into thinking about how to tailor the process (the document should flow from and reflect the process, there is no need to think about an outline for it when you're beginning) than in looking at examples.

A resource on how to design a planning process that features examples and case studies from rural counties that will be coming your way soon, and that I will take this opportunity to announce on Cyburbia (although I should also make a separate post), is The Planning for Results Guidebook, written by yours truly and Karen Van Gilder and published by NACo and the Sonoran Institute. The guidebook is at the printers right now and we think NACo will be able to get one free copy to every member county (I presume your county is a member) in November.