• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Court of Public Opinion #2 - Sammy Sosa

Say it aint So-sa!

• Guilty! Ban him from Cybur... er... Baseball!

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Not Guilty. Give hime this week's $1.3 million and lets move on

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I don't care!

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Hay-soos Key-Ryst it took too little time to have COPI #2 but what can you say about Sammy?

I say -- honest mistake. If not, cover it up. Baseball needs more heroes. Otherwise it's Yesterdays America's Pasttime

boiker

Cyburbian
i say this...out of 77 bats he accidentally chose the one that is corked and regularly used for batting practice and didn't notice the difference in weight?

I think it's a bit more intentional than accidential. He's been struggling terribly since he got beamed in the head. In the last couple series he done nothing but dive after pitches and swing late..his swing is slow.

A corked bat will allow a quicker swing. He used it to get his bat around abit quicker so he could make contact again...for once.

He's guilty, he admitted his fault. he knows the rules. he should be penalized accordingly, then pro sports should move on and try to explain why my white sox suck so bad.

el Guapo

Capitalist
What did he do? My sports knowledge is only surpassed by my knowledge of French Lit?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Sammy broke a bat. The ump looked at it and found cork in it. Bad Sammy. Bad.

It seems a little hard to believe that he did not do it intentionally. At the same time, I do not think he has the record he does because he cheats. It was simply a dumb thing to do, one way or another. With that said, I really don't care. I have not watched a single game since the strike, and never will again.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I refuse to watch baseball- it's too slow. But after hearing they x-rayed the rest of his bats it may have been a mistake, but still... he should get suspended and fined.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Get rid of him....take away all his 500+ HRs .... banish him from baseball like they did Pete Rose.... !!!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
im sorry i say hes guilty, punish him and thanks for another black eye on a sport i cant stand

prudence

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
Get rid of him....take away all his 500+ HRs .... banish him from baseball like they did Pete Rose.... !!!
I agree. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Sammy is guiltier than Scott Peterson.

Baseball is dull.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Suspend him for 10 games and get on with it. He isn't the first to do this and he isn't the last that will try. They x-rayed a ton of his bats and found cork in none of them, so I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here. It is likely that he has used a corked bat before, but it is unlikely that he will ever do it again.

jordanb

Cyburbian
I don't follow baseball too closely, but it does just look like a stupid mistake to me. He's had other bats break with no cork, and none of the other bats he had with him have cork in them. He should be fined and suspended and then get on with it.

Also, he should be allowed to play in the upcoming Yankees game. It's not a season game, and our chances are slim enough as it is. If we beat New York though, especially if Sosa plays a big part (maybe by hitting a grand slam winning the game or something :)), that'd be worth decades of gloating.

donk

Cyburbian
Its not like in a real sport where drug use and cheating are generally excepted (i.e.Greg Lemond with EPO, Lance with oxyglobin, Jan Ullrich with E and speed....)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Baseball will "investigate" the cork incident over the weekend and will suspend Sammy after the Yankee's series. It is way to big of a series for them to suspend him.

I hate the Cubs and the Yankees, so I could care less.

BKM

Cyburbian
My God, are you a bunch of communists? Does NOBODY follow baseball anymore.

Just kidding. I am a militant atheist towards the great religion of pro sports. But, he probably knew.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
The only sport that I follow religiously is football, College and Pro.

Baseball and Basketball are just filler.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I say he's guilty and he knew. This was just stupid on Sosa's part with a home-run record he shouldn't have had a corked bat within 100 yards of his person. This will only call into question many of his accomplishments. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

It could be worse however. At least he's not a pumped-up steroid freak. Oh wait... that's the rest of the MLB players.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
It could be worse however. At least he's not a pumped-up steroid freak. Oh wait... that's the rest of the MLB players.
Um...did you see Sammy when he was with the White Sox? He was scrawny. I would say with 90% certantity that Mr Sosa has used steroids.

Last year Sports Illustrated's Rick Rielly asked Sammy to get tested and he flipped out. Link to article

SGB

Cyburbian
AP news update

The AP is reporting that Sosa has been given an 8 game suspension. He is, of course, appealing.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Guilty? Yes.
Knowingly guilty? Probably so.

What seems to be lost is that most people will tell you corking hurts your hitting. If you've lost some bat speed, use a lighter bat -- that's a novel concept.