• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

COVID-19 and Stress

michaelskis

Cyburbian
One question that I have for everyone, is how are you handling the stress of everything that is going on. I know around here the stress is very high. My normal stress relief of going to the gym is not an option at the moment and my chin up bar at the house and walking the dog just does not take care of it for me.

What are you doing to deal with the stress given the limitations and situations that we are dealing with?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Living alone is bad enough
Minimizing watching the News
Connecting with people - work through Skype, friends on FB, on Cyburbia
walking
as a diabetic not stress eating
having two volunteer projects I can do through the internet

kms

Cyburbian
I felt pretty anxious about my job security the first week at home. I prayed and meditated about it.

I’m taking walks during my work day and trying to stay busy with other things the rest of the time.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I'm a gym rat who can't work out currently. I've taken to walking and doing parts of my routine either at time or in the common area. The only thing I can't do id weights. When I'm able to hit the gym, it's going to be a sore couple of days afterward.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I handled the first week without issue, except a little panic-buying of frozen stuff for "just in case". I'm not a wild extrovert, so having some not-at-the-office time allowed me to focus more on my own approach to work, issues, and projects. I added a walk in the day with the dog, usually lunchtime.

I handled the second week by taking a couple of walks during the day (mid-morning and mid-afternoon) with the dog. Not long ones, just around the block, but we had sunshine and it felt good. I also bought some fancy craft beer and limited myself to one a night. Friday I logged off early and spent some time organizing the closet, switching out the seasonal clothes, etc. Hubby and I did some things together, as well. In the evenings we played video games together (frisbee golf, etc) and we took a couple of drives over the weekend. Started feeling a little lonely, a little isolated, but able to power through with Hubby.

This is week three. I'm already struggling to stay focused. I'm starting to worry, and my efficiency has dropped. I would really rather not be working at all. I know the extra walks are not going to keep me sane, but since I'm actually working while home, and my spouse is also home, I can't just stop work to do a Peleton workout. I like to keep work and home lives separate, so before all this, my evenings were for reading, crafts, movies/TV with Hubby, and other at-home things. That aspect is gone, so I'm feeling disconnected.

What can help? I've thought about changing my work schedule to include a longer lunchtime to get a light workout in, or similar. Perhaps a longer, non-dog walk. Making sure I get a good night's sleep, eat right (or really just not eat badly), and keep in touch with loved ones and friends. Not watching the news 5 times a day. Acknowledging when I need a break, and taking it. Maybe my workday is a little longer as a result. For now, though, I'll do what I can to keep social distancing.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I am extremely stressed. More than I can recall. Not really for my job, but for my wife and our families safety.

This dumpster-fire of a situation is just sucky. I don't really know what we could be doing differently, but I certainly feel the pressure to work, deal with the kids, and be a supportive husband. As the situation has continually gotten worse, it just means the stress will get to be greater.

The silver lining is there, and there are a lot of good things that will come out of this situation, but right now, I am having a hard time seeing the forest for the trees.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Luckily and weirdly, I am super busy at work so that helps.

It's weird to come into the office every day when we have made everyone else in the city close but I guess I am essential. I am anxious about getting sent home because my MIL is super needy, my husband is not great about giving me space when I need to work at home and I have a dog who is obsessed with me and is always underfoot - so if I am going to be busy, I guess it's better that I am in the office.

I was anxious when we didn't know if my husband had the virus or not, in the back of my mind, I thought no he doesn't but then I would think about it and get weepy so I was up and down.

I get anxious in grocery stores, I miss my friends as I spend at least one night a weekend with them so that's sad

I do hike on the weekend with my dog and I Netflix binge to take a break from the news

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I'm a natural stress avoider and try to not let things stress me, especially things I can control.

The one thing I am most 'worried' about right now is maintaining mine and my staff's payroll at 100% (as budgeted).

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
Stress here at work goes from minimal to overboard based on the brushfire at hand (like a downtown business that didn't get on an email blast - because they never gave us their email address - so its our fault).

Home is different. Wife is HR and she is going crazy. Has to wait on corporate to approve or advise, floor managers will not pass info, employees calling in with an entire range of questions. Last night (about 9:00) she had to deal with an employee who hand been in close contact with a suspected COVID19 carrier. She doesn't handle stress well anyway.

The Girl is mostly bored.

I'm trying to squint and see the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. That's my stress right now.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I really haven't been too stressed. I was worried quite a bit at first about my staff and keeping people employed but I think we're going to be ok in the long run. Still anticipating adding new positions for FY21. I can't control any of what is happening so no use fretting too much. I'm as prepared as I think I can be and everyone close to me is safe so I'm pretty good. I've been working in the yard a lot and have been taking some longer walks some evenings. I'm not much of a binge watcher which I think is good. The worst thing is the library is closed and a lot of what I want to read is not available electronically.

kms

Cyburbian
I don’t feel stress about a lot of things. It took me a long time to be able to do this.

I don’t stress or worry about what I can’t control. Well, mostly, but I’m pretty consistent about not worrying about things I don’t control.

I’m not watching the news, but I do check Department of Health web page to see the number of cases in my county. I’m not reading any Facebook posts about Covid and hiding people who post them non stop.

It’s important to me to get outside, and I am every chance I get. I’m a little tired of taking the same walk every day, but I still walk.

I’m using this time to be more organized at work, and that makes me feel good about work.

My house is more organized and cleaner than it has been because keeping up with it prevents my personal clutter and work items from getting mixed together.

I’m texting and facebooking with my cousins about family history and memories. I may start mailing cards to people like I used to do, but I don’t want people to think I’m sending them colorful envelopes full of germs.

I think it’s important to look at this time as temporary and just try to make the best of it.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Similar to those above:

• Minimize watching news. Scanning headlines on your phone keeps you up to date enough.
  • EXERCISE: I do 30 minutes on the biker trainer a lot of nights. It hit 60 here yesterday and I actually went out and rode my bike for an hour
  • Meditation time each day. No phone, TV, Computer, music....nothing....just silence. Pray or just focus on your breathing. Whatever works for you.

I know we will all still be stressed. I might stop seeing my kids for now, who are mostly at my ex's.

Last edited:

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Do what my friend did - drive by wave - they stayed in their car on opposite side of the street - kids & grand kids on their sidewalk
That is a very hard thing. I will call them more. 2 are in college and do not have to follow the divorce decree anymore, but have been following it up to now just to be consistent with their younger brothers. They have been a great source of comfort to me, but in reality its probably safer for everyone :(

kms

Cyburbian
That is a very hard thing. I will call them more. 2 are in college and do not have to follow the divorce decree anymore, but have been following it up to now just to be consistent with their younger brothers. They have been a great source of comfort to me, but in reality its probably safer for everyone :(
Why can’t you meet somewhere and take a walk together? All it you can stay apart and still walk and talk together.

AG74683

Cyburbian
At least for me, this is the most unstressful thing I've dealt with in a long time. I'm generally low stress anyway, but this whole locking the public out of the building thing is fantastic. I'm an introvert anyway, so spending a weekend at home without even going outside is fine for me.

I'm a little worried about my parents. They're in the risk group, but they do generally stay at home. My dad has cancelled his extracurricular activities. The only significant risk is that they still shuttle my sister around a lot. She goes to all these AA, NA, and behavioral health meetings, so God knows what she's exposed to. Some of the meeting groups and appointments are picking her up now, but they still have her over to the house a lot. At some point they need to decide whether she stays at home and stops going to these meetings, or stays at her apartment until the worst is over.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I had been doing fine until the past few days and today is a bit rougher than the others. Seasonal allergies have been fully kicked in so I have not felt much like doing anything anyways.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Why can’t you meet somewhere and take a walk together? All it you can stay apart and still walk and talk together.
Thats a good idea. I can ride my bike up and see them. The weather is finally getting warmer now. After I fought hard in my divorce 7 years ago to get more time with them, its a bitter pill to swallow. I just have to remember that its temporary. Mostly it will be me and my dog.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
I'm not too worried about my own financial stability and work has stayed pretty busy, so that has been the single biggest factor in being able to avoid stress. I'm a little more concerned about what this will all mean in the long term but given the circumstances it's been pretty easy to stay focused on the present.

I'm more concerned about people I feel responsible for, and how some are (and will be) handling all of this. I have close relatives who don't have it so easy and probably aren't feeling as stable at the moment. I think a lot about how I can and should be helping them if and when the need arises, and how to balance that with my immediate family's needs.

I also am seeing a lot of examples of people wanting and intending to respect the social distancing guidelines, but as soon as their emotions get the better of them they start to rationalize bending the rules. That stresses me out a lot, and even though I must look like a nut I'm not taking any chances until science catches up on this virus. I stress that people I know aren't always thinking clearly about how dangerous this situation really is.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I'm busier now than before. I recommend a potent combination of alcohol and overeating to help cope with covid-19 induced stress.