• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Crafting

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I once heard a comedian say something like "for those of you who don't know what 'crafting' is, it's where someone can - with a little extra money, time, equipment, space, and effort - make something at home that's almost as good as what you can buy in a store."

I come from a 'crafting' family. My mother was a bigtime crafter, and used to do tole painting, dry flower arrangements, decorative centerpieces, woodcuts, birdhouses, and other various things (did not do scrapbooking, though). My SIL likes to cut and paint those 'live love laugh' style sign art. And Mrs. Maister likes to paint plaster Christmas village houses and make candles. I have mixed feelings about crafting as I find some of it appealing, but much of it is dreck. I suppose that's how many things in life seem to play out: 10% great, 20% meh, and 70% blech. I suppose you could argue that because I make home-brewed 'craft beer' I too am involved in crafting.

Do you craft? Does your home woodworking shop occasionally get co-opted for crafting projects?

Image result for crafting activities for adults
Image result for halloween crafting activities for adults
Image result for christmas crafting activities for adults
Image result for christmas crafting activities for adults
Image result for summer crafting activities for adults

Image result for tie die crafting activities for adults
Image result for string art
Image result for recycle art projects
Image result for recycle bottle project

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I crochet. Most of what I make, I give away as gifts. I go through phases, where I'm either working on three projects at once, with new ideas swimming in my head, or I'm not doing anything and wonder why I have so much yarn.

Every generation of my family has crafty people, mainly focused on handwork: Sewing, knitting, crochet, quilting, embroidery, etc. Grandma also made satin-covered Christmas balls, designing each one for that year's color/theme.

I love the individuality that shines through on some crafts. I'm a big supporter of craft fairs (Blue Genie Art Bazaar being my current favorite) because I always seem to find something at a random booth that speaks to me.

kms

Cyburbian
I don't draft. I can't create the grand idea my mind sees.

I'd love to know how to crochet and have tried. I keep saying I'm going to find someone at a nursing home to teach me, but haven't followed through.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I don't draft. I can't create the grand idea my mind sees.

I'd love to know how to crochet and have tried. I keep saying I'm going to find someone at a nursing home to teach me, but haven't followed through.
Our church has a knitting/crochet club that meets once a week. The purpose is to make things to give to some need or effort. Today they are taking red, white, and blue lap blankets to give to veterans at local nursing homes. They make knit hats for the homeless. My mother attends for the sole purpose of learning. They got her started loom knitting and she is learning to crochet. I would check to see if there is a group like that around your locale.

• Love
Reactions: kms

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
My family is made up of crafters and I'm hoping to pass that tradition along. My mother sews quilts, paints (super talented!), and runs all the craft events at church. My sister actually spins her own wool and is a knitter as well as painter (leads those sip and paint events) and quilter. They are both amazingly creative and I aspire to be half as good someday.

As for me, I embroider, I can knit a scarf, and have made one quilt in my life when my God-daughter was born. I try to sew and have a cupboard full of good intentions that were never finished. Right now, my main 'craft' is mending. I'm working through a pile of clothes that need some love and I'm proud to say I've put 3-4 pieces back into rotation by fixing a hole, replacing a button, or embroidering something fun to cover a stain (visible mending). I also have a few items that are on my list to make for Christmas presents but I'll be honest -- I bought the material a few years ago and just keep pushing it off to 'next year'. The main item -- a roll of un-paper towels -- seems so easy, I just don't know why I haven't whipped it up yet. Procrastinate much?

The 17 year old likes to embroider, make bracelets, and sew little projects and we try to do something crafty over summer break every year.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I like to craft and so does Itty Bitty. I have more craft supplies than I will ever use. Some I even inherited from my great Aunts who loved to craft.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
I sew, quilt, crochet, embroider along with other hobbies that I don't consider "crafting" -- watercolor painting and photography. In the past I did stamping, card making and scrapbooking.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do hand sewn English Paper Piecing quilting. I don't actually assemble the quilt top, batting, and backing/binding-it's easier and better to send out for someone with a long arm quilting set up.

Just finished a quilt top this weekend save 4 small corner pieces. Just need to send it out for quilting and binding.

I have two works in progress (WIP). One is a clamshell/drunkard's path type design with panda themed fabric. Pretty much all of the individual pieces are done up, just slowly assembling into larger blocks now. The other one is a more complicated pattern, right now I am working on the background field pieces.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
My dream house would have a craft room. Right now I have a bunch of Rubbermaid totes of supplies stacked in the basement and the dining room table has to pull triple duty.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
My dream house would have a craft room. Right now I have a bunch of Rubbermaid totes of supplies stacked in the basement and the dining room table has to pull triple duty.
Our dining room table is in use constantly, but almost never for dining! Instead, it's a handy work surface for all sorts of things, it also gets used for making puzzles or playing board games.