• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Crap! I need the throbbing brain's help here...

martini

Cyburbian
I'm applying for employment in the hopes that my downtime between graduation and gain full employment will be held to a minimum. In the process, I've found that several jobs have required me to type up samples of staff reports to a board, and Site plan reviews. While the Staff report is easy enough to come up with, the site plan review is more difficult. I've scoured the 'net looking for examples to work with, but haven't found anything. My internship so far hasn't really provided me with an opportunity to do one either(I work for an RGO at the moment).

What kind of info goes into one of these bad boys? Probably, plot /lot number, location, size/dimensions, detail of building to be placed on lot, meets zoning regs, _____. What else? How much detail do I need to put into the body of something like this? Does it need to be pages long, or can it be breif and to the point? Personally, I HATE wordy documents and try to keep things short, and readable, with as much of the neccessary information as possible included.

Thanks for helping a budding planner!

by the way, I'm only looking for suggestions here, nothing improper. I'm not into that copying thing thats so hot amongst colleges these days!

ludes98

Cyburbian
Most site plan reviews at jurisdictions here usually consist of "bleeding" all over the plan with corrections/comments. I have seen it done line item on separate page also, but it can get lengthly. You could always attend a hearing to see the jurisdiction's particular style/method.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Your first page should be a summary of the job. Location, zoning info, comp plan info, etc

Then I like to address all Zoning Requirements (and what isn't addressed on the plan), S/LDO Requirements (and what isn't there), and finally any design related issues. These are comments which are not required to be addressed, but may help the plan out.

I can send you anything you wnat from planning agencies all over the country if you'd like....or you could go into stealth mode. Find a job that was recently reviewed by the agency you are applying to and request a copy of the review (send it to a friends house or just have it faxed) see how they write their reviews, and go from there.

Good Luck

BKM

Cyburbian
Not sure how the format will come out, WORD to board, but:

Meeting
Date:

To: Chairperson and Members of the Planning Commission

Subject: ITEM TITLE
Resolution No. 2003 - Location: Address
____________ (_____ __-__) Applicant: Name

(Same info as on the agenda)

SITE INFORMATION

A. Location:

B. Parcel Size:

C. Zoning and Land Use: Zoning Land Use

Project Site:
North:
South:
East:
West:

D. General Plan Designations:

Project Site:
North:
South:
East:
West:

E. Site Characteristics/Special Features:

PROJECT DESCRIPTION

A. Dwelling Units/Density:

B. Building Area/%Coverage:

C. Landscape Area/% Coverage:

D. Parking Required/Provided:

E. Setbacks: Required Provided

Front:
Rear:
Sides:
Left:
Right:

BACKGROUND INFORMATION

ANALYSIS FOR PLANNING COMMISSION

A.General Plan/Zoning Consistency: The proposed land use is consistent with the ___General Plan land use designation, the ____ (Planned Development, or traditional classification) Zoning classification ( and the Redevelopment Plan land use classification, if in an R.D. area).

B. Planned Development Rezone:

C. Redevelopment Plan:

D. Development Review:

E. Environmental Review:

F. Correspondence:

RECOMMENDATION

Attachments:

donk

Cyburbian
For our site plan reviews I simply take the zone provisions from the by law and create a table with the following headings:

Description Requirement Proposes Comments

Side Yard Setback 2m 2.5m No Action
Rear Yard 3m 2m Variance(See Note 1)

I also include other information and pictures of the site.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
here's a sample from my personal way-back machine, at my previous employer:

Staff Recommendations
CITY OF XXXPLANNING BOARD
August 16, 1999 Regular Meeting

Item numbers refer to position on meeting agenda.

IV. CONTINUED APPLICATIONS

A. Northgate Apartments.

Staff received additional information from the applicant on August 11, the supplemental materials deadline. Several issues from the July meeting are still unresolved, and a new issue has surfaced regarding laundry waste water being discharged into a wetland on the site.

Given the submission of materials today (8/11), staff and the City Engineer have not had time to do a thorough review of the new items. As such, staff recommends that the application be continued to September 13, 1999. However, should the Board feel it is appropriate to approve the project, we offer the following recommendation:

?¡ Waivers. The applicant has not requested any waivers.

?¡ Completeness. If the Board feels that the remaining issues are appropriate for City Staff to handle, then staff recommends the application be accepted as complete.

?¡ Recommendation. Based upon the information available to date the Staff recommends APPROVAL of this application, if the Board feels that it is complete and appropriate for the outstanding issues to be handled by City Staff, with the NOTICE OF DECISION to read substantially as follows:

"Applicant", herein, refers to the property owner, business owner, or organization submitting this application and to his/its agents, successors, and assigns.

Precedent Conditions

All of the precedent conditions below must be met by the applicant, at the expense of the applicant, prior to certification of the plans by the Planning Department. Certification of the plans is required prior to issuance of a building permit.

1) The plans are to be modified as follows:

a) Landscaping Plan and details must be reviewed and approved by the Planning Department for the recreation area and the pool area with appropriate requirements by staff incorporated. The new parking at the rear of the building shall be screened from the pool area.

b) Grading Plan shall be revised to USGS Data (if appropriate).

c) Show that the dumpster will be screened.

d) The water and sewer service connections shall be accurately located on the plan. (If unavailable prior to ground disturbance, the locations must be incorporated into the as-built site plan).

2) Drainage plans for expansion of the parking lot and the building addition and other public works items to be approved by the City Engineer with appropriate requirements imposed by City Engineer incorporated.

3)* The plans are to be tied into the State Plane Coordinate System or $525.00 is to be contributed to the Monumentation Fund.

4) Any necessary outstanding signatures on the City of XXX department head review sheet (City Engineer, Code Enforcement) must be obtained (staff will attend to this) with appropriate concerns incorporated.

5) The pre-construction meeting and inspection agreements are to be signed by the property owner to include the following statement: The applicant shall retain the services of the design engineer or her/his designee to insure that all required site work and public improvements are constructed in accordance with approved plans and conditions

6) All required state and federal permits must be obtained with copies of permits or confirmation of approvals delivered to the Planning Department.

7) (a) One set of mylar plus (b) four sets of large blue-line or black-line plus (c) one set of 11"x 17" final approved plans must be on file with the City. Each individual sheet in every set of drawings must be stamped and signed by the land surveyor, engineer, or architect responsible for the plans. (The applicant need only submit additional blue-line/black-line sets of drawings or individual sheets, as needed, to make four complete sets - consult the Planning Department.) At the discretion of the Planning Department minor changes to drawings (as required in precedent condition, above) may be marked by hand.

Please note* Once these precedent conditions are met and the plans are certified the approval is considered final. If these conditions are not met within 4 calendar months to the day of the meeting at which the Planning Board grants approval the board's approval will be considered to have lapsed and re submission of the application will be required. See RSA 674:39 on vesting.

General and Subsequent Conditions

All of the conditions below are attached to this approval.

1)* No construction or site work may be undertaken until the pre-construction meeting with City staff has taken place. Contact the City Planning Department to arrange for this meeting.

2) The property owner or contractor shall locate and expose all water and sewer service connection lines in the vicinity of the building addition. Norway Plains shall record the vertical and horizontal location of the services. Necessary relocations of existing service lines and the connection of the new building to the sewer shall be approved by the City Engineer before any construction proceeds. The property owner shall that confirm that all waste water from the existing and expanded building is discharged to the municipal sewer.

3) A sewer discharge permit must be obtained, if appropriate. The sewer impact contribution must be paid prior to issuance of the Building Permit.

4) All appropriate erosion control measures must be implemented prior to commencing significant construction and site work and must remain in place until vegetation is established or ground surface is suitably stabilized.

5) The project must be built and executed exactly as specified in the approved application package unless modifications are approved.

6) All of the documentation submitted in the application package by the applicant and any requirements imposed by other agencies are part of this approval unless otherwise updated, revised, clarified in some manner, or superseded in full or in part. In the case of conflicting information between documents, the most recent documentation and this notice herein shall generally be determining.

7) As built site plans are to be submitted to the Planning Department prior to issuance of the Certificate of Occupancy.

8) It is the responsibility of the applicant to obtain all other local, state, and federal permits, licenses, and approvals which may be required as part of this project. Contact the City of XXX Code Enforcement Department at XXX-XXXX regarding building permits.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Kind of OT...

OK, so sorry if this is a dumb question, but do you guys do this for every site plan that comes in - a full report to the Planning Commission?

We require site plans to be submitted two weeks prior to the PC meeting. Staff performs a preliminary review and I do a memo to the designer. It lists all the information that is missing/incorrect on the site plan. Then we get a revision to submit for the meeting, with the hopes that everyone in the memo has been addressed. Then, to the PC, I do one memo for the entire meeting (keep in mind we only had like 5 site plans this year), and under each heading I have additional comments - brief outline of project, items still missing/incorrect, and the staff (myself and engineers) recommendation.

All information that everyone has listed here is already required to be on the site plan, so we don't feel the need to duplicate it. But like I said, we are a fairly small City, and new development has been slow to steady, so maybe we are backwards??

donk

Cyburbian
Re: Kind of OT...

SW MI Planner said:
OK, so sorry if this is a dumb question, but do you guys do this for every site plan that comes in - a full report to the Planning Commission?

I only do a "formal report" if I find something that needs a variance. If no variances are needed no report is done and I make a note/verbal confirmation for the building inspector that I reviewed the plan and see nothing that would limit their ability to issue a building permit.

martini

Cyburbian
Wow. Thanks folks! If I get this, all credit will go to the TB. Off to be creative...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
In our case, larger projects or potentially controversial ones may get a full report, but as many are simply handled in a paragraph.

The information you are getting from the others is all good. Start with a summary of the project, then discuss the requirements of the local codes, then address design and other site issues.

I don't know what others have experienced, but to me it seems schools simply don't bother trying to teach site plan review, or at least not in a way that a fresh graduate can walk into an office and begin doing it. Most people seem to pick up the skill on the job.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Re: Kind of OT...

SW MI Planner said:
Yes we do a project memo for every application. Prepared by our consultant engineer, and modified bymyself and the asst. DPW director.

(keep in mind we only had like 5 site plans this year
My oh my....what I wouldn't do to have a year like that. from our project logs:

2001: Site Plans - 28; Subdivisions - 11; Minor Site Plans - 2; Lot Line Adjustment - 3

2002: Site Plans - 17; Subdivisions - 16; Minor Site Plans - 4; Lot Line Adjustment - 3

2003 (to date): Site Plans - 17; Subdivisions - 20; Minor Site Plans - 2; Lot Line Adjustment - 2

Jeff

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:

I don't know what others have experienced, but to me it seems schools simply don't bother trying to teach site plan review, or at least not in a way that a fresh graduate can walk into an office and begin doing it. Most people seem to pick up the skill on the job.
How would you teach it?

I began doing the job as basically a proofreader, just checking ordinances for compliance. Then after a while started adding my own flare and preferences to reviews, now I simply design the jobs myself. Its all an on-the job thing I think. I don't think it is a skill that could be easily taught.