• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

crazy co workers

donk

Cyburbian
OK, we have started telling family secrets, what about funny / odd co worker stories.

Bturk and prudence don't rat each other out too much.

Here is mine:

Worked with a group of fundamentalist christians (3 of them), imagine doing windshield surveys and being forced to listen to contemporary Christian rock.

I got my revenge, though. one night coming home from a meeting I was driving, so I got to choose the music, I put in Velvet Underground - White Heat White Light (shiny boots of leather, heroin) and John Prine's sam stone (sam stone came home from a conflict overseas...). they flipped out over the drug and S&M references and the questioning of there being a god ("JC died for nothing I suppose"). Needless to say no more music allowed in cars.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
We have the "known swinger" in our office. Apparently there was an incriminating letter left on the printer a few years back...Yikes!

And being the south, we have more than our fair share of fundamentalist christians. It definitely makes for an interesting dynamic.

In one of my old jobs, one of the secretaries was a Jehovah's Witness - even though she didn't celebrate christmas, EVERY YEAR she'd submit a request for the day after off to hit the sales, and stick the other secretary with the office for the day. And she refused to participate in the United Way drive. Which is fine, but there was a competition between the department heads to see who could raise the most/ have the best participation and she wouldn't even allow the director to donate in her name.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I worked with a transportation planner who ate raw potatos for lunch (in his cubicle across from mine - yuck).

Another transportation planner never did any work; he was obsessed with high school football and spent all his time memorizing statistics from teams all over the country.

Another planner would wait for the first staff meeting any new employee attended; then would wind up her dancing penis toy and let it bounce down the conference room table, just to see the new person's reaction.

All the above were in the same planning office.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I've never had any crazy co-workers, but I haven't been in the field long. I'm sure I'll come across them at some point.

We do have an odd staff , but we balance each other out. It's sad though, James used what was really happening at my office in a paper the other day, as a "bad example". Yikes.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I was once asked in an interview (for an internship) if I liked to drink beer...I kind of knew the planner, so I think he wanted to know if I would be the type that would go out for a beer with co-workers. I was later told I got the job because I seemed more like the type who would fit in with the staff, who enjoyed going out to blow off steam.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I was probably considered the crazy co-worker at my previous place of employment .... because I wasn't a knee-jerk right-of-Rush Republican and thumping fundamentalist Christian.

BKM

Cyburbian
I am probably the crazy co-worker. I always promulgate Kunstler rants, Tom Tomorrow cartoons, etc. And, I have very wierd taste in music (death and doom metal, goth, neo-Renaissance music(Stille Volk rules!)) While still being totally square and repressed :) Having three dogs is pretty excessive, too!

We have a pretty colorful staff, overall:

The combination Texan Dive Bar Lover/Wine Snob/best dressed contest winner.

The perfectly organized Mr. Data (great for financial advice). He also happens to be an avid Oakland Raiders fan!

The raging, aggressive German Automobile nut (a fellow bicyclist).

The gothy new mother with five cats, a convertible, a German father and a new husband who is an interesting combination of ex-Baptist minister, romance novelist, and American Indian.

The very cultured (plays, classical music) straight-laced (but Atheist) division manager

A department head who loves Jimmy Buffet and worked at an Indie record store in Isla Vista California.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Crazy co-workers... hmmmmm...

I think most people are nutty in some way. The people I work with right now all have their quirks, but they aren't really odd...

In Davis there was a planner who would have a guy come pick her up at lunch and she would do stuff with him in his car at the park across the street (which we would all walk by on the way to lunch). She also had an affair with another woman planner in the office, and would play little games with her at staff meetings to drive her nuts. It was a twisted affair, leading to one planner quitting (the one who was getting her head messed with)... and I was hired in her place. I only remember all of this because I was an intern at the time and it was my first real job, so I played close attention.

nerudite

Cyburbian
BKM said:

A department head who loves Jimmy Buffet and worked at an Indie record store in Isla Vista California.

I can see bturk in his Hawaiian shirt working at an indie store in Isla Vista... maybe that's not such a bad thing for a director. :)