• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Create your Frankenstein City

pete-rock

Cyburbian
As they say, the grass is always greener on the other side. In planning, we planners often hear citizens say things like, "I wish my town had a "blank" like "blank".

Here's your chance to put all that green grass on the same side, so to speak. What if you could take your favorite parts of other cities and towns and put them all into one? How would that look? For instance --

A natural setting like... Portland?
A downtown like... Chicago?
A wealthy/trendy/pretentious neighborhood like... Georgetown?
A cool nightlife scene like... Austin?

Add some categories and list your faves. And then, speculate on the viability of your "Frankenstein City".

oulevin

Cyburbian
My Frankenstein City

How about this:

Starting from the middle out:

An open urban greenspace ... like the National Mall
Surrounded by a western square...like Ft. Worth's Sundance Square
Surrounded by mixed-use neighborhoods...like Manhattan
Which includes a campus and nightlife scene...like Austin
Close to the weather and waterfront of....San Diego
With the surrounding natural beauty and market of ... Seattle

A Denver on a southern coast, possibly?

Jeff

Cyburbian
Re: My Frankenstein City

oulevin said:
How about this:

Starting from the middle out:

An open urban greenspace ... like the National Mall
Surrounded by a western square...like Ft. Worth's Sundance Square
Surrounded by mixed-use neighborhoods...like Manhattan
Which includes a campus and nightlife scene...like Austin
Close to the weather and waterfront of....San Diego
With the surrounding natural beauty and market of ... Seattle

A Denver on a southern coast, possibly?

You just described Philadelphia (except for the weather part (right now))....the most commonly looked over city in the country.

oulevin

Cyburbian
Frankenphilly

Philly? I haven't been there, but Mike, please do expand on the "western square" and "waterfront" aspects of the plan...

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Philly ROCKS!

ok so i have only been once but it now rates on my top 5 list of cities

waterfront is the Del river and all boat moor'd
gentrified area with cool nightlife-south street
cool urban squares/parks-Rittenhouse sq (sp?)

neat mixed use areas, history, close to transportation, 2 hours to NYC and just under 3 to DC

great arts, theater, higher education

put DC and Philly together and BAM thats an awsome city

Hmm... I don't know about a Frankencity, but I would just be so happy if where I lived could be even remotely bike/ped friendly so that I could walk/bike the mere three miles to work on nice days.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Squares.....there are a bunch of them...Rittenhouse Square, Love Park, JFK Plaza, Independence Mall (where the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall are), plus a bunch more which surround City Hall (which is smack dab in the middle of the city.

The city actually has 2 waterfronts, the Delaware River and Schuykill River...both with amenities too great for me to explain right now.

Come visit us....we only spit on your car if it has NJ tags, we're nice to everyone else.

BKM

Cyburbian
Philadelphia's Mediterranean Climate

But Mike, its 65 degress out now. Where is the San Diego climate in Philly? :)

Jeff

Cyburbian
I did say we didn't match the weather....it's actually like 50 some right now....not too bad.

oulevin

Cyburbian
Squares Pegged

But I specified the "western" square matching Ft. Worth's Sundance Square, complete with brick streets and redbrick buildings (with Jamba Juice and Barnes and Noble, mind you), murals of cattle, period lighting, and western art galleries?

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Re: Re: My Frankenstein City

Mike DeVuono said:

You just described Philadelphia (except for the weather part (right now))....the most commonly looked over city in the country.
I've been to Philly twice, and I have to admit I loved it. I was really suprised by the vitality of its downtown. Also, Philly's neighborhoods were very cool, except for the North Philly area where we were doing our work.

How's this for a frankencity?

San Diego climate;
Manhattan downtown;
Philadelphia's neighborhoods;
Seattle's views;
Washington's or Boston's educated citizenry; and
Chicago's public transportation (but less center-dominant).

BKM

Cyburbian
Hard to beat the Bay Area (for me), but:

San Francisco's neighborhood shopping districts, staircase neighborhoods, Victorians, topography, views, and vegetation

SoCals beaches

Boston's Mayor and focus on preserving a more balanced economy.

Chicago's Downtown (the small side streets off Michigan Avenue, not the big ten lane through routes)

Berkeley's climate (East Bay is warmer and not as foggy, and I don't like the desert enough to say San Diego)

Denver and Kansas City's boulevards and fountains.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Re: Squares Pegged

oulevin said:
But I specified the "western" square matching Ft. Worth's Sundance Square, complete with brick streets and redbrick buildings (with Jamba Juice and Barnes and Noble, mind you), murals of cattle, period lighting, and western art galleries?
Half the downtown is brick and cobblestone streets...this is one of the oldest cities in the country you know.

And geez...some of the brick houses and buildings in the downtown you have to duck to get through the doors...people were shorter in those days I guess.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
*looks out at all the dirty snow* hum and can we have a beach district that looks like Key west with no tourists?

yha yha put Philly/Dc together with Key West

THATS my kinda town-WARM and No Snow!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Re: Squares Pegged

oulevin said:
I think that's called "Frontierland" at Disney World...