• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Creative Class - more of it

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I have heard him speak more than once, and would go back again. Despite the fact that some Cyburbians dismiss him, and despite that his talks do have an element of self-promotion, his ideas are good and can trigger some useful thought among people who listen.

We've tried to get him to come to the Big Easy and defend his statements about the city's so-called lack of bohemian culture among other things, but he has yet to make an appearance.

biscuit

Cyburbian
boiker said:
http://www.pjstar.com/news/editorials/b22ng5ir059.html

Richard Florida will be coming to my community to discuss creative ways to capture new economic development and cater to the "creative class."

Anyone feel this may be beneficial to attend?
Yes, I would recommend going... if only just to bask in the shining glory that is his ego. ;-)

Seriously, he is an effective speaker with some good ideas and I would make it a point to go hear him.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Bring it to us

I think that not only should you go, but you should provide a full report to share with the rest of us who are not as fortunate to be able to go.

boiker

Cyburbian
workin on it

i'm trying to get the interm director to allow someone from our dept to go.

I doubt it's me, my work schedule sucks.

ludes98

Cyburbian
He spoke in Phoenix recently. He is a very polished speaker much like his presentation. He didn't really offer much more insight than his book did. I don't know who is hosting the talk, but it was not done well here. The turnout was VERY underestimated and the venue was too small for the crowd. The reserved area was mostly for who's who in Phoenix and planners were left to scramble for the balcony seats. Good planning eh?

boiker

Cyburbian
he's actually speaking right now, but i'm unable to attend :(

it's ok i'm sure that the Economic Developmnet Deparment (the dept that organized it w/o informing or inviting Planning) will benefit far more than we would have from it.

pppt.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
boiker said:
he's actually speaking right now, but i'm unable to attend :(

it's ok i'm sure that the Economic Developmnet Deparment (the dept that organized it w/o informing or inviting Planning) will benefit far more than we would have from it.

pppt.
Dude, that suck BIG.

I hope you have a chance to see the information he hands out.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Boiker, Florida is the featured luncheon speaker at the Planning Institute at UIUC on March 5; if your employer is willing to shell out the $175 to send you to the 2-day conference, you can hear him there.

Here's a link to the program, if you are interested: 2004 UIUC Planning Institute

While Florida's ideas are interesting, I think that the numbers throw doubt on his thesis (see the Wall Street Journal article here).

boiker

Cyburbian
the aftermath...

I'm all for conferences. I'm happy when the political players attend. I hate when this come back out of their mouth a day after they went to listen to Mr. Florida:

"I'm open to trying to create a 24/7 city. We need to make sure we have a place where the creative class can come live,"
buzzwords....bah.